Here's the old door I found:
It's exactly the right width for a king sized bed. All I needed to do was add legs! I still can't get at my mitre saw, it's buried by plumbing supplies and beadboard panelling - sigh! I wanted to impress everyone (and myself!) with some gorgeous trim details... but I'm too impatient and didn't want to wait until next summer to work on my headboard so I used my circular saw to cut a piece of 1x4 and my nail gun to attach it to the long side of the door (hinge side).
I measured from the floor to where I wanted the top of my headboard to be and cut my 2x4s to that length. Then all I had to do was use screws to attach the 2x4s to the back of the door. That still looked a little unfinished, so I added some baseboard trim to the sides with a half inch reveal to cover up the joint.
I spraypainted black just around the panels and then painted two coats of white in a pearl finish. A little sanding to allow the black to show through and I was ready to install my new headboard.
|after 1st coat of white. You can see the black (somewhat) around the edges of the panel.|
I used nuts & bolts (the kind for attaching stair boards to metal pre-fab risers) to attach the headboard to my metal bed frame. I used four of them total to hold the headboard in place - a nut with a 2 1/2" shaft, two washers and a bolt for each fastener. You could also attach the headboard to the wall either with screws or using a French cleat, click HERE for the how-to.
|and because the pillows obscure the view of the distressing, here's a closeup|
Another project down! several hundred to go lol!
To see the entire Master Bedroom Makeover Madness post, click HERE
With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!