Here's the old door I found:
It's exactly the right width for a king sized bed. All I needed to do was add legs! I still can't get at my mitre saw, it's buried by plumbing supplies and beadboard panelling - sigh! I wanted to impress everyone (and myself!) with some gorgeous trim details... but I'm too impatient and didn't want to wait until next summer to work on my headboard so I used my circular saw to cut a piece of 1x4 and my nail gun to attach it to the long side of the door (hinge side).
I measured from the floor to where I wanted the top of my headboard to be and cut my 2x4s to that length. Then all I had to do was use screws to attach the 2x4s to the back of the door. That still looked a little unfinished, so I added some baseboard trim to the sides with a half inch reveal to cover up the joint.
I spraypainted black just around the panels and then painted two coats of white in a pearl finish. A little sanding to allow the black to show through and I was ready to install my new headboard.
|after 1st coat of white. You can see the black (somewhat) around the edges of the panel.|
I used nuts & bolts (the kind for attaching stair boards to metal pre-fab risers) to attach the headboard to the bed frame. I used four of them total to hold the headboard in place - a nut with a 2 1/2" shaft, two washers and a bolt for each fastener.
|and because the pillows obscure the view of the distressing, here's a closeup|
Another project down! several hundred to go lol!
To see the entire Master Bedroom Makeover Madness post, click HERE
To see the antique layered paint finish treatment, click HERE
DON'T MISS ANOTHER POST!