Remember the tallboy dresser I bought at a garage sale this summer? The one I decided to add ModPodged scrapbook paper to? The one I instantly decided I didn't want scrapbook paper on?? Yes, it's back!!
So I bought this bad boy:
and did this to it:
And I liked it. I really did, for about an hour... Then it occurred to me that I could make it over to look more like the apothecary cabinets that I love so much. I admit it, I am crazy for drawers :). But now that I added this scrapbook paper that is cemented to the fronts of the drawers, I am in a pickle. How do you get modpodge off??! Luckily for me, I had only added glue to the outer edges of the paper and the scrapbook paper is a fairly heavy paper so it peeled off pretty well. Then I washed and sanded the glue parts. After I had taken all that time to get the paper off, I had a brain wave. Why not add thin veneer pieces to the drawer fronts to make them look like double drawers?
I used a sheet of 1/4" maple veneer for this project. After measuring the drawer fronts and dividing the measurements up so that I would have a half-inch gap in between the two veneer pieces, it didn't take long to cut the veneer down with my circular saw. I made sure to sand the edges of the panels well so that there would be no rough, splintery pieces sticking out.
Then I glued the veneer onto the drawers and used my brad nailer to secure the edges. This photo shows the drawer fronts after the glue was dry and I had begun the painting & antiquing process:
Then I drilled holes for the new knobs and voila! Multi-drawered fabulousness!!
Mission accomplished! Have a happy week!
Don't miss another post! Follow me: