Easy Antique Paint Finish


One of my best projects from this summer was building a headboard from a vintage 5 panel door I picked up at a garage sale.  The only thing I did wrong was to paint it in a semi-gloss bone white.  It looked weird.

The semi-gloss was overkill and the bone white did nothing to make the headboard look special.

Hmmm, what to do... Let's add more layers of paint in different colours!!


I got out my latex paints - a grey-blue, a grey-beige, white and the Lenox Tan paint that matches my walls.  And I played.  I painted a mix of the grey-blue and grey-beige on with a sponge roller, I wiped the tan paint over the top with a paper towel.  I added more of the white to the panel edges.  You get the picture.  I just kept layering paint on until I got a finish that I actually liked.


It looks so awesome in person now!!


I added a blue jewelry box and a tone on tone striped linen bedskirt in the same blue/greys as the headboard to tie everything together.


So much happier with this room now.  The only project left is to paint the wood trim.

Have a great week!


Don't miss another post! Follow me:



26 comments:

  1. Anne that turned out beautiful! Love this idea! Your room looks so pretty too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! I've been on the lookout for an antique door to do this with. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! What an amazing job you did on it! Looks so warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good layered paint treatment. You did a fabulous job. Love the new hits of blue as well. Your Baaaaaackk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Anne! In fact, your whole room looks so inviting!!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, I love the way this turned out. Just gorgeous, love the colors.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome metamorphosis! I love to give second chance of life like you just did to that door. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the headboard...what great find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks fabulous- the whole room looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, your headboard looks great! I bet it was fun mixing up the paints and creating different colours and effects with the layers. The blue jewelry box is the perfect accessory on your pretty night table :-)

    Good luck with the trim!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you've done with the headboard! Your bedroom looks so comfy and serene!!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great girl! Your bedroom looks SO cozy! <3

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been searching high and low for a guest room headboard!

    Shut the front door - I think I may have found one!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the new color! That room looks soooo great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new blue was a great choice on the headboard. Love the use of the door.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, sorry for the late response. I am so happy you have found my blog so I can enjoy yours too. Everything you see on my blog in my work, the photography, the crafts ...
    I love your room, stylish with wonderful color theme! I have been searching for a vintage headboard; unfortunately , unsuccessfully so far. I like yours very much; great job on it!
    I wish you a peaceful weekend and I will definitely come back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That really gave it some character. Good call! Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very pretty headboard, Anne. I like that you went for it and played with the paint colors! The final result is lovely. So nice to hear from you today, and glad that you liked the earring organizer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just beautiful! Love the color that you went with. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning job Anne! You must have a big smile when you see this every day - it turned out so beautiful! Another example of the power of paint!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anne!! I am featuring your gorgeous bedroom today! Love your headboard, such a stunning color! Hope to see you at this week's party too! http://www.settingforfour.com/2012/11/features-its-party-time-11-11-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I liked the headboard before, but love it now! :)

    great job girl!
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...