Baker's Rack Makeover - Industrial Look


I got a baker's rack through the online classifieds last year. I wanted it for a display piece in my dining room. I didn't like the colour of the rack so I did a shabby chic makeover but it never seemed to fit. With my love of industrial furniture, the black pieces in my dining room and the brown velvet curtains, industrial with its dark metal and warm wood tones is a perfect fit!

I sanded down the white paint on the metal but I couldn't get enough of it off, so I wiped raw umber paint over the top of the metal.  I didn't like the metal rung racks either.  It's hard to place things when they keep tipping over thanks to the thin rungs.  I cut down some 1/4" maple veneer to match the maple plywood top I had installed last summer and stained it brown.  The plywood top had been painted twice and I couldn't face using a stripper product, so I popped it off and flipped it over.  That got stained as well.



 The outer rungs are bigger than the inner ones so the veneer is held neatly in place without the need to fasten it.
I hated the fake wood drawer front so I used the same veneer to cover it.  With a coat of stain and a new industrial look pull, it looks fabulous!

The metal is much darker than the photo shows, it was such a sunny day when I took the photos that everything looks light!




I'm thrilled with the makeover.  The wood looks rich and the white flecks on the metal make it look oxidized.  I LOVE it!!

And if you want to see the shabby chic version:



Isn't it nice we can make over things as many times as we want?  LOL

Have a great week!

Don't miss another post!  Follow me:
Follow on Bloglovin
Linking to:
Funky Junk SNS     Furniture Friday
Shabbilicious Friday     Monday Funday    That DIY Party
Give me the Goods      Mod Mix Monday
Pretty Things     Tuesdays Treasures     Inspire me Tuesday
Project Inspired
Wow Us Wednesdays     Home(Work)
Show Me What Ya Got    Under $100     Wildly Original 
Fabulously Creative Friday
the Inspiration Gallery     Show & Tell Friday
Catch as Catch Can      Furniture Feature Friday
Inspire Me
Shabbilicious Friday     Weekend Wrap Up
Party Junk

38 comments:

  1. A great makeover. I saw an old bakers rack painted turquoise once. I still like yours better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Anne ... Love it. I have a small one in the garage that I need to do this to. Thanks for the idea.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great makeover. The rack will get noticed a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before blogging I never thought about redoing something more than once. Now nothing leaves my house without the utmost scrutiny just in case I "could" of used it for something.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Anne! I have not one but 2 baker's racks in my shed and I need to give them some love! You have inspired me once again! Maybe you should come shop my shed sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, Anne! Smart move to add the wooden shelves- the metal must have been a pain in the hiney to balance things on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing a piece get multiple makeover and take on new life. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you have done...looks like a brand new piece Anne! I pinned the before and after pic onto my Pinterest board "Before and After".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, I like that sign too!! Di @ Cottage-Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love it. I saw a piece similar to this on kijiji yesterday for 20$ and have been tempted to buy it. I think you have inspired me to do just that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne love your makeover too!Paint can do wonders!LOVE your new handle for the drawer and it is displayed perfectly too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your newest makeover is definitely nicer than the las, it looks wonderfult. You are very clever dear Anne. It seems that nothing stumps you for too long. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We should call you "Anne, the transformer"! :) Love your talent Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok Anne, seriously I did NOT read this post until this morning (Sunday). I was referring our great minds being alike on FB because of your hand built potting bench and my want for one and not being a builder so decided to look for a baker's rack to put outdoors! Did you follow that?

    LOVE IT. LOVE YOU!

    XO
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Un trabajo fabuloso.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a transformation.....I am starting to really like the industrial look!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great makeover, Anne. I love how you fronted the drawer. I have a bakers rack with those rungs for wine bottles and always thought it was wasted space. LOVE your idea of sitting a tray on top. Where was my brain?? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicely done Anne, it look so much better in this new look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it Anne! It's amazing to me how many different looks a piece of furniture can have, given enough ingenuity and determination, which you seem to have in spades! :) Hope you're having a lovely weekend!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. As always , you did a fantastic job with this piece Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a fantastic job making over this baker's rack.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH I love it, what a great piece, and I really like the industrial look. Great job. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic makeover, Anne! I love the industrial vibe, and the fresh new look you've given this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice Job Anne! I thought I was commenting on your potting bench but somehow I'm here. So I will tell you I like them both. I might check out that bench plan - it looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the makeover! Looks so much better than the original. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot believe that's the same piece! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great transformation Anne. You must be so pleased. Thanks for sharing this over at Shabbilicious Friday. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmmm... Just commented, but don't see it... I will try again! Great Job! From oh hum to lovely! You have inspired me to tackle a boring curio cabinet I have. P.S. love your banner painting! Karen@NourishWithKaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen! and thanks for loving my painting, too!

      xox

      Delete
  29. Looks awesome. Love the wood shelves and drawer front. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Turned out really well! I always have trouble reworking anything with metal, but you've done it really nicely. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome makeover! I wish I was this crafty! Lol I have a ten year old dresser that I want to de-do but I heard it's gonna be hard to just sand and paint because it's not "real" wood. These types of posts are inspiring ideas though. I might give it a shot this summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree! It's great to makeover something as many times as we need to get it right. And your final result is creative and lovely.
    Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!!
    Wishing you An Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow - looked great to begin with - good bones...but then your transformation just elevated the baker's rack so much more. Love the Shabby Chic look.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A great makeover. I love the new industrial look of it. I'm sure it fits right in now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...