Decorating the Garden with Junk Finds

I'm a big fan of Donna at Funky Junk Interiors - she takes all kinds of rusty, cool, beat up stuff and uses it for decorating her home and garden with great effect!  Plus she's a fellow British Columbian, and we BC girls gotta stick together!

My garage sale searches have been hugely influenced by Donna's choices for her home so today I'm sharing some of my finds and how I've used them.

I picked up this old gate at a yard sale two weeks ago.  It makes such a cute backdrop for my rose garden. I threw together the little welcome sign in 10 minutes flat.


This old hand pump was all rusty, but I gave it a coat of paint in a sunny yellow to brighten it up.  The DM Ferry & Co sign is another yard sale buy.



A rusty bit of junk I found at the dump.  Don't know what this thing is at all.


Another dump find, this feeder got a home in a tomato cage



An old storm window that I hung on my house.  I painted the images on the window to dress it up a little.


I found a 3 panel hinged fire screen at a yard sale and took it apart.  I used two of the panels when I built my potting bench.  They sit inside a frame created by another old storm window I found.


 And the finished bench:


I bought up all the galvanized buckets and tubs I found - there seemed to be a lot of them in this year's yard sales!  Yay for me!!  They are now my planters.


This $30 DIY shed was inspired by Donna's love of pallet wood.  I didn't use pallet wood for my project because I had wood in my stock pile and I had a bunch donated to me by a friend who had leftovers after building a fence, but this would be an excellent project for pallet wood.


Two old doors I found got a new life as a privacy screen/windbreak on my tiny deck.  I was able to anchor my patio umbrella to them - we have some wicked wind storms that blow up out of nowhere around these parts!  Notice my large planter?  Another fabulous galvanized tub I found a couple of summers ago.  LOVE.IT.!!

I used a small pallet to build a step up to the door as well.

and on the other side of those doors is my rock-and-thyme patio and my pride & joy $3 wood stepladder - woot!

Notice the rusty junk sitting on the bottom rung?  No idea what that thing is but I dug up 3 of them when  I was building gardens.  

See my new shutters?  They were inspired by Donna, too.  She built an awesome window treatment for her living room using 1x4s and I just fell in love.


This is when they were newly built a couple of months ago, now the wood is shrinking and you can see the cracks between the pieces better.  They are exactly what I wanted - plus I added some carriage door hardware to dress them up more.



And my latest yard sale finds. Wonder what I'm going to do with all this stuff...


Thanks for visiting! Have a fabulous weekend - and don't forget to hit those yard sales, you never know what you're gonna find :)

If you want more details, click on these headings:

How to build a potting bench
DIY Shed for $30
Adding Curb Appeal on a Dime

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!
Follow on Bloglovin
Linking up with:
Inspiration Gallery     Fabulously Creative Fridays
Catch as Catch Can
Inspire me Please     Show and Tell Friday
Party Junk
Link Party Palooza  That DIY Party
Give me the Goods
Mod Mix Monday     Treasure Hunt Thursday

43 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh Anne - I don't know where to start here!!!
    That hand pump???
    The gate
    The window
    I'm in serious Garden Envy Mode here -
    AND THAT POTTING BENCH IS TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are simply amazing - and inspirational girlfriend!
    I'll be over at pinterest if your looking for me ( you may find every pic from this post magically appear there too )
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you can salvage from "the dump". Most cities in the USA do not allow it. I absolutely love what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blondie! About 8 years ago, our province built large storage buildings at our landfill sites where people could leave furniture and other household items that were still good but no longer wanted/needed. That's what we can all pick through! Although I do occasionally score something from the dump pile itself when I'm throwing things in... shhhh!

      Delete
  3. Anne, you always amaze me with your builds! A shed from scratch, an entire bathroom rebuild and potting bench totally intimidate me! :) You've had some amazing finds... that yellow pump is the coolest thing!

    Thank-you so much for the sweet mention! I'm so glad whatever you saw helped you find your inner (Canadian) junk, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, Wow! You really found some wonderful pieces. Thanks for all the inspirational ideas for the garden. Loved stopping by. Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your finds Anne! You have a great eye and the yellow on the waterpump is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those finds are so great and I love the way you have used them. I would never had thought of painting that storm window. Your house looks fantastic too with the shutters.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Have a great weekend xox

      Delete
  7. I love garden junk too. You have done a fabulous job with your yard. It's interesting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff in your yard, and I love how you've put everything to good use! When I see some of these things (like the wooden ladder!!), I'm kicking myself for not keeping even MORE items from my parents' home. My dad had about three old wooden ladders and we tossed them all :[ Great inspiration here, and thanks for the link to Funky Junk! Have a great looooooong weekend ;) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've given away wooden ladders too - AAAHHHHHHHHHH! lol

      You have a great long weekend too! I'm on vacation starting tomorrow :)

      Delete
  9. I found you on My Repurposed Life. You should come party with us starting at 9:00pm cst tonight. http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/08/craft-frenzy-friday-2.html Come by and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, you are just soooo clever! What great ideas, and how talented you are. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do I begin? There's just cool stuff everywhere! Okay let's go $30 diy shed, painted window and water pump. But honestly I love how you have found a use or place for all of your junk, which is all the more reason to go junking again. By the way, your kitty is adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne, love this post. You always do projects that inspire me and make me want to try them. I especially like the pump and old window. Adore the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! Have a great weekend xox

      Delete
  13. Oh Anne! You have worked your magic once again! I love, love, love that yellow pump! Everything looks fabulous and I cannot believe I have not been to one single yard sale this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that potting bench! What a great way to use old windows! The rusty round item with legs that you couldn't identify is a fire pit. I used to have one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Too bad it's cracked or I could use it. Thanks Sandy!

      Delete
  15. ohhh, so much fun stuff! My yard... ugh! it's so neglected. :(

    loving all the items, especially the potting table and that bright yellow pump!

    yard sales? not a single one this year....waiting till fall. hahaha

    have a great weekend Anne!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great finds Anne and you used them all in great ways. I am a fan of old windows and doors. They add so much character. The sales around us are truly filled with junk. No goodies ever, it is so disappointing. I watch all of you find all these great items and dream of someone somewhere having a sale with some goodies. It never happens. Have a great weekend!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such great inspiration! Enjoy your holiday and I agree with Sandy..that round rusty piece could be from a firepit or the bottom of a chimenia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure you're right! Thanks Shelley!

      Delete
  18. Anne you had me at JUNK in the Garden...LOL...LOVE IT ALL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a wonderful yard, full of fun finds. I'm so inspired to hit the yard sale road early this weekend and buy some more good stuff for my own yard. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your potting bench and your hen and roosters - I want all of those things for my garden! I'm trying to get out and do more "junkin'" these days - especially after spending some time on blogs like yours and Donna's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anne ... first time seeing these parts of your yard ... lovely and love your junk. The water pump is very unusual and looks great on your potting bench.
    Thanks for all the inspiration ... now, if I would just get busy and finish some projects in our yard.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all your repurposed finds Anne! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden is beautiful! Love all the vintage charm you brought to it!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. It's lovely. You've done such a good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I first thought my favourite thing was the pump, then I thought it was your potting bench, then...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful yard! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anne your gardens look fabulous...love the shutters you made!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your yard! And the bright yellow pump was so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute ladder Anne! I love the window you painted too - great collections all around!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have turned "junk" into amazing treasures for your yard...you have the coolest things...you always, always, amaze me!!!
    I have an old pump too and you have inspired me to paint it a beautiful yellow!!!...from the yard to the front of the house...all beautiful!!!!..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anne, You are ... amazing! and... you always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are so creative! My mom used an old pump in her water garden and I loved it, particularly since the pump was a family piece.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all your garden stuff but especially that potting bench! Love the color...that's the color I am going to paint mine eventually. I was suppose to do this summer, no spring...and it still has not happened. Might as well wait till next year the way I am going.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it all and enjoyed my virtual tour of your lovely outside space!

    ReplyDelete
  35. potting bench - perfect
    galvanized buckets - great containers for plants
    old ladder - thanks for the idea- I want to move mine to the garden and I like how you have it.

    Boy are you a busy person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...