Creating a Cozy Home Office / Study

One of these things is not like the others...  Welcome to the odd man out room in my house.  It's where all the furniture that doesn't work in the rest of my house comes to live.  It's where the style I used to have still remains.   And now what to call this room.  It's a  den/office/studio/workspace.  I searched online for the definition of the word "den" and this is what Wikipedia had to say: "A den is a comfortable, usually secluded room in a house. In the United States, the type of rooms described by the term den varies considerably by region. It is used to describe many different kinds of bonus rooms, including studies, family rooms, home offices, libraries, home cinemas, or even spare bedrooms."

I love the word library, but I don't really think of this space as a library - there are no books here.  It isn't really a studio, it's more of an all-purpose space.  Study! What a good name for the space, it's a little bit of everything. Here I am surrounded by my art and other things that I love.  Here I am tucked away from the rest of the house and happy in my solitude.  Here my creativity is unleashed... So, here is the evolution of my Study.

It began as a place to hide everything that I wasn't using.  It was a huge mess and, consequently, was never photographed during the early days spent in my house.  Here is the first photo I shared:

Pretty sparse and not very inviting,  Plus it's really bad feng shui to have your back to the door!! Here are some equally bad photos of the early days of blogging - tiny, dark, uninspiring.  I have learned so much since I began blogging.  That desk?  It was free and I liked the black base with the chrome legs.


Check out the ugly before shot of my now gorgeous armoire, I forgot I even had this photo!!  If you haven't ever seen my turquoise armoire, here's a sneak peek of the way it looks now:
                            
It's not in this room any more either.  But I digress...  When I built a console table out of a Martha Stewart cube, it went so well with my desk that it inspired the rest of this makeover.


The major problem I had with this space was the desk top.  It had a small surface and an overhang/shelf thingy that made it uncomfortable to use (and really, really ugly to look at).  So last summer I ripped that top off and replaced it with a piece of maple plywood that I stained with Minwax Provincial.  Here is the plywood when I was considering using it on my dining room table:


Then I settled on a new furniture arrangement and installed a bunch of wall shelves so I could easily swap out my art as I created it and VOILA - new and much improved home office! um I mean study!



My "drapes" consist of an Ikea Indira bedspread with one end folded over to shorten it a bit. It really blocks out the light, I'm still working on a window treatment that I love.


In actual fact, this room is still the catch all for things that no longer work in other rooms.  The funny thing is, they all fit together now! And that big wardrobe is on the agenda for a makeover although I still love the chalkboard doors. It's also my linen closet since there isn't one in this house and it's jam packed full.  I haven't decided on what look I want yet.

See that easel?  It was free but I  never use it to paint on, I prefer to get paint all over my new desk top.  Go figure.  I should get rid of it. And on that note, here's my latest painting:


I was inspired by the scenery in the movie Miss Potter with Renee Zellweger.  Have you seen it yet?  It has become my favourite movie.  So inspiring!!

If you want to see the posts on my armoire or console table, here are the links:



Hope you enjoyed my little tour.  This room is still a work in progress but it's coming along well.  Now I have only a few rooms left to fix up - I can't believe it!!!

Have a great week!



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

Remodeling and Home Design

Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday     Wow Us Wednesdays
Feathered Nest Friday
Show & Tell Friday     Inspire Me Monday
Home Office Party

29 comments:

  1. Well, your catch-all room is gorgeous as well. I could see myself being very productive in there or just snuggling up in the chair with a book and a cup of tea. I missed seeing your paintings. They are all truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautiful Anne - what a great space to do your magic - and your artwork IS absolute magic -
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your paintings in each room looks beautiful. You are a good designer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it looks good now! I have a room like your "before" and unfortunately it's right next to the front door. Was fine up till a year ago, and thankfully I can close the doors on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy your little tour and your study makeover! Love the movie Miss Potter and was delighted the day I stumbled on to it. Um...I seriously love that boat painting. Do you still have it???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this room Anne... and your paintings??!! WOW! You are very talented, do you sell them anywhere?

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice makeover. I worked at a desk like that when I first started working in a law firm. I like the big top you gave it. The whole room looks inviting now ... love the Turkish rug on the floor. It's nice that you show the room before you're completely satisfied with it. I like to have a room evolve a bit over time once the major part is done (walls/floors). I have a question about the door into the room ... is that original to the house, or did you buy it after ... it's exactly the sort of Shaker / mission style I've been looking for my house.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good Anne ... love the desk by the window.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing how your home office/study has evolved over time. I am (still) working on our upstairs library--a little redo, but I only have a few minutes here and there to devote to it, and I'm trying to do it as inexpensively as possible, so it's taking a while to finish. But I'm happy with what I've done so far, and the end is in sight, and after that, I hope to tackle my home office area as well. Yours is much larger than mine, so I'm having to get creative with shelving on the walls and other ways to use the wall space well. I thank you for the inspiration I find here, and hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty, you are such an artist girl!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I have that same kind of room, well, the one you began with ;) office, guest room, storage, you name it ...A complete mess, ha and the desk is still positioned so my back faces the door :/ I got to change that! I love what you've done! The art, the desk, the storage space, it all looks so cohesive and inviting, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how the "new" desk looks. And you latest painting is amazing. I loved the film and the image of women it gave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your painting! The room looks great. I especially love the turquoise armoire. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your study looks wonderful Anne. I love your new painting. I think I would call your study ‘your studio’ instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fabulous. I would love to have a room like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so love your room...don't get rid of the easel, I didn't keep my dad's and I so regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the painting . . . love the study/den/library/creative space . . . must watch Miss Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. found you over @ Coastal Charm...LOVE your office - mine is my son's old room that seems to be the catch-all in our home as well...

    ReplyDelete
  19. For a room that holds everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the house you have really pulled it together so nicely. I love your idea of the chalkboard on front of the wardrobe already! Your new painting is beautiful. I'd say that is time well spent in your cozy work room. May I ask what it is painted on? I want to say a piece of paneling... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful Anne! I love the new configuration :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. We all had rooms or a corner of the romm where unused furniture sits. Another wonderful room transformation. I also love your paintings and the easel. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anne, this looks so awesome!!! Wish I had an office like that!!! Happy Crafting and Painting in there Amiga!!!! I LUV IT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne, Your room looks fabulous! I love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great space Anne! Love your new painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like everything about this office from the wall color to the desk to the painting behind it. Nice painting. I love Beatrice Potter too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice study, Anne, and I love your artwork. Thanks for sharing at Every Room In The House. I'll be featuring your study on June 1, so stop by. :) ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...