Simple Fix - White Painted Wood Floor

Well it's done. I hemmed and hawed and twisted myself in knots over it for nothing. I LOVE IT!


I finally got around to fixing up the floor in my new laundry room.  That's not quite accurate, I fixed up 20 square feet of the floor in my laundry room - with Behr's porch floor paint!

I used the same stuff Suzan at Simply Vintageous used for her closet floor (see HERE), except I couldn't buy a small can of the glossy version so I bought the low sheen one.  I do really like it in the low sheen, the imperfections are mostly hidden unless you hover over the floor and stare at it and who does that?! I mean who other than the person who did the painting because that person ALWAYS notices the little silly things... am I right?

I also couldn't decide whether to prime first or just paint, but I opted to sand the floor and then just paint it.  I like the well worn look of a country cottage, so if the paint chips or wears down here and there I know I'll love it even more.  I also decided to skip any decorative treatments - and I considered so many that I couldn't pick one I  loved best.  In the end, I am happy with the less is more look.  I think I have enough colours, patterns and textures that this space looks pretty without the extra design even though Suzan's floor blew me away when I saw it (and still does).  Here are all the photos:



Here is the sanded and cleaned floor - ready to paint!

One coat down - nobody told me I had to wait 24 hours between coats!!!!!  Ugh, why didn't I read the paint can first?!

Two days and two coats later, nope, this sucker needs another coat.  And the baseboards look shabby in a bad way too...

Three coats and all the baseboards done too.

And my lighter, MUCH brighter laundry space:

 

This floor almost glows now.  It is unreal how much light it reflects!  So my laundry saga is coming to a close.  I still hate the ugly orange fake wood laminate floor in the mudroom section of the laundry so stay tuned for that to change someday, but for now, I'm happy.

If you want to see how the laundry came together from a bare room with only hookups to the way it looks now, click HERE

Here's a sneak peek at what this space looked like only 2 years ago when I was still figuring out the layout I wanted.  The closet organizer was in the section where my laundry tub is now located - what a difference!!

Today it looks like the country cottage style that I love.

Have a happy and creative weekend!

ps to see the latest update for this laundry / mudroom click HERE



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!
  • Remodeling and Home Design
    Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:

53 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much a coat of paint (or three) can change a space. It looks so light and airy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are working on your home, love the painted floor, looks so cottagy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your laundry room is beautiful! You really did a fabulous job on those floors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks spectacular, Anne. It has a lot of impact!

    I love the curtain!!! Did you put separate panels on it, or did you sew it together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how much brighter the whole laundry room looks now! I love painted floors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicky! I am rapidly falling in love with them myself!!!

      Delete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!
    ( thanks for the shout at :)
    You should have bought a gallon - I see more painted floors in your future lol ...............
    So far I've done the linen closet - master - and the landing - still have 3 other rooms upstairs to do !
    Have a happy Spring weekend - looks pretty gloomy here - calling for snow #(*&$@
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous Anne, but what did you use to sand that floor? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a small space that I used a drywall hand sander with 100 grit paper. The floor didn't have much of a finish on it anymore - it was so beat!!!

      Thanks for your sweet comment Di!

      Delete
  8. It looks great Anne! I hate that drying time wait period too... so impatient! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are the "instant gratification generation" aren't we?? What's that saying? It's as interesting as watching paint dry?? LOL

      Delete
  9. It looks great! That Suzan inspiring bloggers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing!! Love your laundry room. The colorful skirt is gorgeous against the white. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did another amazing job. I love the latch door on the floor and of course the newly painted white floor. A few coats of paint = a whole new look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your painted floor really makes the room look bigger. I think it came out wonderfully and was worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did good Anne ... I think painted floors look great but don't think I would attempt to do that ... maybe if in a small area. Your white floor just expands the space.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z, @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it, anne! i'm trying to gain the courage to paint some of my wood floors. your room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another incredibly amazing project Anne...love the floors painted white...It certainly looks brighter and fresher and hopefully the room will make you happy to do laundry...I would be!...Great job Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty Anne! You have a trap door in your laundry room? What are you hiding down there??LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your floors! I would love to do this too!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am dying to do this, only in black and white squares on my foyer and hall. I need to check into the paint you mentioned at HD. I noticed the trap door (?) in your floor -- where does it go? I am thinking of doing something like that in a small hallway in the middle of my house to create a place to go when the tornado warnings hit. Visiting from That DIY party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, Anne, I love a good mystery, what's beneath the trap door? Your new bright white floor brings everything in your laundry area together perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen you painting painted floor... But this is awesome. The room looks completely different! I love how bright it is and painted floor is perfect for a cottage look. Oh, why is my own wood floor upstairs covered by several coats of ugly laminate in all existing colours?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice project. Love how bright and cheerful it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job, the white really does brighten the whole room up! Very fresh feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. omg Anne, that looks so amazing....what a difference!!!! I LOVE It

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne... I LOVE it! So much brighter and cleaner looking. Just a fantastic improvement.
    I recently did a white floor in a client cottage and they adore it! There is just something so "right" about a painted floor!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved this little room before! I love it even more now!!!! You must love doing laundry now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the well worn cottagy feel, and you have definitely captured it! You've really done a number on your laundry room, and all for the better. It's so cheerful and bright, and the tulips the perfect exclamation!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks great Anne, perfect for your cottage and it does brighten it up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job on the floors, the room looks so much larger now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it's had a big impact on how the space feels too.

      Delete
  29. What a pretty change to your laundry floor, Anne--painted floors look so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So fresh and pretty Anne!! I love a painted wood floor- it looks so cottagey and amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This really makes the laundry room a brilliant space! Wow! I love the look of painted floors, and I also love the look of hardwood. But I hate the look of wall-to-wall carpeting now, which is what I'm stuck with. You've done yet another amazing make-over in your place! Ok ... so no one asked, but is that a door to the cellar in the floor? ... it adds another nice little detail there I think ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those floors are beautiful now!!! I love the freshness of white!

    ReplyDelete
  33. BRILLIANT! I absolutely love the way the laundry room came out. The floor looks awesome. Totally inspired to redo mine!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it, what a creative idea and such a fabulous room. I would love for you to link up to my ongoing Inspire Me party. www.astrollthrulife.net. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's gorgeous Anne! In that perfect yet imperfect kind of way. Love the fabric. I'm trying to quell my jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The room is great and makes you not mind being in there doing laundry.

    Good luck on the mudroom and at least now you know you have to wait 24 hours.

    Have you seen the new green Ball jars. Now I have sets of each, but I need to send off for more of the daisy lids I bought on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great transformation! I love painted floors. It sure brightened it up, and you just did a beautiful job with the whole room. -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com
    History & Home link party, Tue-Fri, weekly. Join us!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks fabulous and totally brightened up the space! Thanks for linking up at Sunday Soirée!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, Anne, it is just so cute and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love this space, the floors look amazing. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...