Repurposing & Reusing - Garage Sale Saturdays!

I had forgotten how much I love garage and yard sales - wandering through piles of discarded and unwanted items - particularly when it's the result of someone moving from their home of many years.  One man's trash is another man's treasure certainly holds true in these cases.

Yesterday I went to a sale of an older couple who had sold their long-time home.  EVERYTHING in the house and garage was for sale.  I was in heaven...  Control yourself, you only have a small house!! was the thought going through my mind the whole time I was there.  Because I live in a small town, I knew a lot of the people who were milling around at the same time I was at the sale.  But in a case like this, when half the town is showing up and prices are incredibly low, you act immediately when you see something - in the first 5 minutes I had bought an old wooden crate with a hinged lid and the kitchen table and chairs.  Oops - what the heck am I going to do with another table???!  All I wanted was the chairs.  Oh well.  Next item on the agenda, how in the world am I going to get this home?  Neighbours step up to the plate and offer to help.  Oh how I love small towns!

Next up is to refinish the chairs and clean and whitewash the old crate so I can use it inside.  The table and chairs were from the 1940s and the lady selling them gave me a photograph from the 40s with her grandmother and grandfather sitting at the table when it was new.  So cool.

When I was little, I had an exact replica of this table and chairs in my playhouse.

Here is one of the chairs, the table is in the shed and unavailable for photographs.
I'm going to paint the chairs satin black.  They're so cute! and a real steal at $50 for the table & chair set.

Take a look at my newest treasure!!
 


This is going to become a bench in my mudroom - so cool.  It must be pretty old, I think it's been a while since drug stores stopped getting shipments in wooden boxes...

Oh happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!