A Field of Sunflowers

I've had a picture in my desk caddy for quite a while.  It's something I came across while surfing the 'net and fell in love with.  I have no idea where I got it from, but I love the picture

I absolutely love sunflowers so I decided to try my hand at painting this image.  I started out great with the sky, the tree and the barn.  I took artistic licence with the distant trees in the center of the photo but once I got to the field of sunflowers - omg, what to do!  I could not get my brushstrokes fine enough to accurately depict this photo... :P

In desperation, I began looking for some tool to help me create some semblance of petals.  I chose a q-tip.  It gave the painting a kitchy kind of look, so I went with it.  I couldn't get the orangey sky quite right so I painted it out, giving my painting a blue sky with clouds. 




Sheesh, what a mess!  I got rid of the tree in front of the barn, my depiction of it looked odd to me.  I kept working on the petals with different shades of yellow and with some white.  Then I added some highlights and stems.  I was at it off and on for a couple of days, trying to find a way to give the petals better definition but I still couldn't achieve quite the look I wanted.  


When all is said and done, I'm happy with the end result although it's a far cry from what I was trying for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!