A Cosier Bedroom

I've been reading so many blogs on bedroom makeovers that I'm desperate to do something to improve the look of my spare bedroom.  I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like your designs just flow from you effortlessly.  I, on the other hand, have to dress something 20 times before I achieve something I actually like.  And then trying to photograph it is another challenge - particularly since I dropped my camera in the creek last winter & it seems to have dried water drops on some interior part... :(

So here is my latest effort at choosing things I already have and styling them.  Please, please, please share tips or ideas on how I could improve on what I've started.  I'd love to hear how someone else would style the space.




I know the pictures are a little high, but I don't want them knocked down by a restless sleeper!

My $15 church rummage sale table, painted BM Simply White and with new knobs installed.

Old Ikea Poang chair with a cable knit throw wrapped around its cushion.



Ready for my first visitor!
Cheers!

I added another layer on the bed, a rug and a footstool:





Don't be shy, what should I add, delete or change to make this room really sweet?  Help!

Update:

Using some of your suggestions, I've changed the table vignette, added pillows and lowered the pictures:




Any other suggestions??  (we're doing great now!!)
 Phase I  
Phase II

Phase III
and I forgot to show you what I began with!

Have a happy week!


7 comments:

  1. I love the colors that you used. Very soothing. I think the table needs something. Not sure what maybe a pretty blue candle or a blue flowered cup of pens/pencils. It's a very inviting room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice color combination you chose. I too think you should add a little some more to the desk/table. Perhaps a plant that is a little larger than one of the current plants, giving you a larger and a smaller combination.

    Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate you and hope you will link up again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rug really made a big difference, Anne. It helped to anchor the room. And I hear your concerns about the pictures being knocked off the wall, but you can buy a special hook for hanging pictures that is just that...a hook, and it will hold them in place...in a lower position. Moving them down would be more pleasing to the eye.

    Since your bed is in the corner, have you tried using pillows radiating out from the corner, just under the pictures? It would require more of them, so they could form a "V", but it would tie the whole corner together. And a large floor plant behind the chair would be nice. Do you have a serving tray that you could place on the ottoman? If so, try displaying a little vignette in it to place atop the ottoman.

    OK, I'll stop now...but you DID ask! lol

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are off to a great start...the rug is perfect. Is there room to center the bed under the window and use the desk as a night stand? It might balance the room a bit. Thank you for sharing at the Open House party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to stay in this room curled up with a book! I think some big throw pillows with a pop of coral/orange color for fall would look awesome--check out "throw pillows" on pinterest for some ideas too. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice cozy room for a specail guest. I think the pillows is just what was needed, it warmed the room nicely.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm of no help with the decorating-clueless actually.
    Love that table!
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!