A Fresh Look for my Living Room

After some soul-searching and web-searching, I added colour to my living room through art and reflected more light by painting out the wall of orange wood paneling.  I'd still like a new rug with some understated pattern to it or maybe in a brighter colour, but I haven't come across anything I liked in a size that would work for me.

Here's what I began with, dark wood, dark furniture pieces and lots of brown and beige:


After the long, dark winter, I couldn't stand the monochromatic look I had going.  I added some blues and a touch of coral:

ps I painted the picture over the couch!  My very first oil painting ever. :)

More spring-like but still not quite the look I was after.

I got rid of my tv stand and put an antique dresser in its place.  I bought a new TV (helped immensely! lol).  I bought new cushions, painted out the wood wall (big sigh of relief), got rid of the big heavy footstools and the sofa table, removed the french door and found a coffee table at the local re-use centre that I painted antique white.



And I moved some paintings and pictures around to add some colour & personality:



Now it feels like home again (and it looks like a grownup lives here!).  I love how seeing a snapshot of a space helps you see clearly whether the decor works or doesn't.

And now that it's mostly finished, I've begun contemplating switching my living room and dining room for the winter months.  The dining room gets tons of sunlight in the winter and the living room gets none.  Anybody else ever switch it up seasonally??

Ta ta until the next project!

Linking to:  Mod Vintage Life
                  View Along the Way

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Anne, what a transformation! It really looks fantastic now, even happier! I love seeing before and after photos so thanks for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! You should be so pleased with the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne! How have I missed your blog? You have so many wonderful and creative ideas!

    Well I'm here now.

    Your living room makeover is phenomenal! Painting out the wood wall was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne, This room looks great! Isn't it amazing how artwork can add so much to a room. I love the warm feeling in this space.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog and the great advice on my blackboard dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The artwork totally makes the space! I can't believe you painted that piece - you are one talented lady! It's gorgeous!

    Thanks for linking up to the roomspiration party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!