Checkerboard Storage for the Kitchen


A few weeks ago I was asked if I wanted to receive a sampling of containers from Specialty Bottle.   They were interested to see what I might be able to craft with their containers.  It sounded like a fun way to stretch my imagination, so I picked out what I wanted from their online catalogue.  One week later, I had a nice box of tins to play with.  Christmas all over again!


Here are the two tins I chose for this project:
 

I love these tins!  I had wanted containers for storing my growing collection of assorted teas, and these were so cute.  I would even have just left them as is because I like the look so much, but a challenge is a challenge and so I decided to use my FAT chalk paint again.

I so loved the look of the step stool I painted (see HERE) that I decided to paint checks again.   Out came the painter's tape again and squares were meticulously (NOT!) measured.  lol!


FAT paint in Autumn
I painted the tins, pulled the tape off and voila!  Looked awesome!!!


I needed a few more smaller tins for the loose tea but instead of painting them all in checks, I thought it would be cute to stack them and paint the center tin red.  After looking at it for a while, I decided it wasn't working and painted all three tins.  I wrote a letter in chalk on each tin.


Hmmm, still not working for me.  Then I had the idea of making them look like the wood building blocks I used to play with when I was little.  I added chalk squares around the letters.


EUREKA!
Now we're talkin'!




While I had the paint out, I painted a couple of tea lights too!  I love the metal tart tins I got at a yard sale last year.  I use a few as tea light holders and thought it would be sweet to paint the tea lights themselves in the red - kind of like the center of a flower.


Now all I need to to pick up some red tea light candles.
Red is beginning to take over my kitchen and I love it!!




Have a great week!

21 comments:

  1. So clever! I will have to check into FAT paint. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon you'll be looking for a race car flag!!!

    LOVE the tins! Why not just label them with chalk like you did above? That way if you change the tea you can easily change the label.

    XO
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute Anne! What a great idea to use chalk paint.You can change what you store inside and just re-label them :-)

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the checkerboard pattern, and that orangey-red is a great colour :-) I bet your tea will taste even better coming out of your cute new tins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne they are just so cute, lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tins look fabulous! I love the idea of painting them with chalk paint and your checker pattern is perfect!
    Have a good day! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how they turned out and the color is just fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at the Monday Funday link party!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. So neat Ann! You could use these in any room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne, these are awesome!! I'm crazy about that color, especially for spring, and I really like how you figured on how to make that checker board pattern, too, pretty ingenious!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Anne...love the containers...and between the fantastic DIY'er and artist that you are, they containers turned out amazing...I am sure you are coming up with more ideas for those containers!!...Have a great day Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been ordering from Specialty Bottle for several years. I never thought about painting them. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. they turned out great, I love the red color you choose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable and so creative, Anne! Love the checkerboard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute, cute, cute... I mean you Anne! and your tea containers are cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These turned out so cute! Love the checkerboard! I've actually been looking for some containers, so I'm heading over there now to check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look adorable and perfect for tea storage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are fabulous! Love the checks, and the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great makeover on the tins! I like that FAT paint...I'm going to have to get some! Thanks for sharing it at the Rock N Share! Have a great weekend! D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!