My new FAT Coffee Table


Last fall I found a solid wood coffee table at the dump in our "Re-use It" center. There was nothing wrong with it except that it was old-fashioned looking and had a few scuffs and scrapes to the finish. I was able to cram it in my car (adding a few more scrapes!) and bring it home where I planned to use the top for a bar table. I pulled the whole thing apart the moment I got home and never took any photos. Yep, bad, bad blogger!



The table had little drop leaf flaps on either end that I did not like AT ALL. I didn't like the look of the table when I brought it home, but 10 months later and god knows how many coffee table makeover blog posts I've seen and suddenly that table looked pretty good to me. I got out my new DeWalt orbital sander and sanded the now painted coffee table surface until I got down to bare wood. Very long, tedious process I must say.  So tedious, in fact, that I gave up the ghost after partially sanding one leg...



I used my new favourite stain colour - Minwax Provincial - to restain the top. I just put one coat on and then after 24 hours, I sanded the table all over again because it was still a little blotchy where I didn't get enough of the old stain off. Then I stained it again, one coat, and left it to dry. Mean while I reassembled the base. NOT.A.FUN.JOB. Many, many screws later I finally got it together. And then the whole thing collapsed the moment I put the top on. Guess I did it wrong.

I re-assembled the works, this time the right way and painted the base with a satin latex paint in creamy white. It was freaking hot here so it dried fast.



I distressed the paint a little on the legs and a whole lot on the dentil molding detail. I wanted to protect the wood top but didn't want to use polyurethane. After looking at a bunch of coffee table projects on Pinterest, I remembered my little jar of FAT wax. Have you discovered FAT Paint yet? My girlfriend,Vickie, makes it! She lives in Vancouver but distributes by mail order and through boutiques and bloggers in North America. You HAVE to try this paint, it's fab!!

Check out her Facebook page HERE

Anyway. Back to my story. I got out the wax and applied it with a paint brush. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then buffed until my arm ached. OK I buffed for about 10 minutes, I'm not proud, my arm ached immediately.   LOL  The wax gave the surface a lustrous sheen that was exactly the look I wanted.  So pretty!

I love the way this turned out.



So this is how I spent Canada Day this year.  What did you do?

Have a fabulous day!

40 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I need a new coffee table - never thought of the dump! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty! You worked very hard on it, but it was well worth it. I love the two tone look, I've been wanting to do a table like this but hubby really despises painted furniture unless it's second hand. I have to check out your friend's page, I have been looking for wax to use on paint for the longest time...our paint stores doesn't seem to know what it is!

    Have a wonderful vacation, Anne! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your coffee table. Mine was also awful when I bought it and I painted the legs white just like you did. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the finished product was worth all that work. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you have no idea how glad I am to hear that even you make mistakes! Ha ha. I always love everything you do, and assume it all comes so easily to you. I wish I could have been there to see the table fall apart, we would have had a good laugh! I'm not being very nice, I know. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. The table looks awesome and fits the space perfectly. Hope you're having a great vacation!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We cleaned our hall closet and youngest son's room. We did check out fireworks in the neighbourhood though. Love the table and what a great top with the wax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne, The table turned out beautifully! Love how you kept the natural wood on top and such pretty stain and paint colors. Hope you are having a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, Love how your table turned out. Great find!

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table is awesome, Anne! I love the painted look on the bottom with stained wood on top! Very, very nice!!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Things always go so fast when I have a whole week to work on them! Thanks Di!!

      Delete
  11. Your coffee table turned out great! It's amazing how a little paint and stain can transform a piece of furniture. Also, I just need to mention that I love your striped pillows on your sofa! Love the color!! Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne this came out great, I am a fan of Provincial stain too. I used it on many older projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so cute! I really LOve how you covered the couch with the white quilted fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job Anne and isn't Fat wax great as is Fat paint as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it Anne! Did you have to prime the parts that you painted first?? I have never heard of FAT wax..but I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great vacation Anne - your coffee table looks beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i LOVE this idea! I would love for you to come link up at my Paint Party going on now through the weekend!! http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/07/paint-party-happy-4th.html
    Hope to see you soon and Happy 4th!!

    Brooke
    Start at Home

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! I want you to come to my house and redo all of my furniture, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job Anne. She's a real beauty now.
    Enjoy your holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks amazing Anne!Love the warm wood and white!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  21. that table is lucky to have found you....LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how that turned out! It's very cottagey looking and looks perfect with your other furnishings. Doesn't everything look better with a little paint and a little distressing? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne great job. I really love how this turned out.
    The coffee table is beautiful!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designers Series

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job, Anne. I can't believe it was in the dumpster. Haven't those people heard of re-purposing? I'm glad you have. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it Anne - such an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! So pretty! Visiting from the Gotta Create blog hop! Feel free to link this one up at our Red, White & BBQ Ladies Only Blog Share link party which is now live! :)

    http://mommifried.com/ladies-only-blog-share-link-party-red-white-bbq/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it! I love how you kept the top the natural wood color and painted the legs white. It's a great way to blend old and new! I'm stopping by from Insire Me Please (#33 How To Have A Block Party & 35 Flavorful Italian Chicken) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie! I'm so glad you popped in!!

      (and that chicken recipe sounds delish...)

      Delete
  28. Nice! I love updating furniture... I wish I had the space and time to gather all the pieces I see out in the trash each week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The table is beautiful Anne...your rubbing and buffing for 10 minutes did the trick as the top turned out fantastic...I can say that it was a true labor of love!!....Great job Anne...as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. how pretty! It reminds me of my coffee table... but I paid for mine. I think it was even $20 !!!

    I wish we had a re-use center here. I think every town should have one.

    love your table Anne!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, your house looks great! I love that shelf you made into a desk and added grain sack lines too!! beautiful! Hope to see you tonight at my paint party starting at 8 pm
    startathome.blogspot.com

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is perfect! I wish I had one of those for our room over! Thanks for sharing with us this week at Monday Funday!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great find!!! I love white washed tables too:) I posted anchor dress to Mod Vintage Life.Swing by:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a wonderful find! I love finding treasures at the thrift store ~ sometimes if it's a great deal, I feel like I have to pay and get out real quick before someone else see's my great deal! lol!
    I'm visiting you today from CRAFT. I co-host a Linky Party Sundays (thru Fri) and would LOVE for you to add this. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog, leave a comment and Link Up, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me for DIY Showcase Link Party ~ and Summer Giveaway~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!