The Shabby Chic Lamp


While rummaging through the local re-use it center, I came across a tri-light lamp base with a harp.  No lampshade, just the base.  It was cut glass with a brass look base.  There is no cost for anything at this center so I brought it home and didn't photograph it.

I spray painted the base antique white and it sat for 2 years in a closet because I couldn't find a lampshade that I liked.  And I still didn't photograph it.

After I finished decorating my bedroom in a cottagey, shabby chic look I realized my old lamps weren't going to work in the space.  I put a pretty pewter lamp with a linen lampshade on one night stand, but what to do with the other??

I suddenly remembered that lamp which was now out in the shed ready for my garage sale!  But what to do for a lampshade?  I had a quick look around the house.  I decided to use an Ikea lampshade that is a white background with blue flowers on it that I LOVE.   Here it is on the original lamp base from Ikea:



 Ikea lampshades, however, are not made for harps - what to do???  I found a plastic piece in a drawer that is supposed to be used in a patio umbrella stand.  I got it out and it fit over the lamp socket perfectly!  With the wider edge, I was able to set the lampshade on the lamp.

Tah-dah!

Shabby chic lamp for my new bedroom decor:



Boy am I glad I still had this lamp!!  Isn't finding stuff for free just so much fun?!



Have a happy day!

23 comments:

  1. Free is the best!!! Your lamp is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun! Love your remade lamp. :-)

    p.s. I'm still looking for the perfect shade...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Anne it worked perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made your own lampshade fitting? From a part in a drawer? When are you getting a show on tv?
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that's just what you do!! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty perfection Anne! Oh yes I hold on to lamps too.You never know when you may decide you still need it for another room.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Bliss, when are you getting your own show! You are so brilliant!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great, Ann, nice fresh colours! This might be the nudge I need to get out a lamp I have that needs some repairing and rewiring.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are pretty shade for your lamps Ann. Free is good, and great when they look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Pretty Anne ... love the lamp ... simple, clean and lovely. Glad you had not sold that base ... it is perfect with that cute shade. You could even add a blue or white fringe, (with or without glass prisms), to the bottom to add length and shabby-chic it up a little more. Thanks for sharing your "fix-it solution". You are good at that.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the flora shade but I would not like to see the lamp shade hardware. For me I would get fringe and add fringe to the bottom of the shade to hide the hardware. Good job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of a fringe.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  12. Anne,
    This is so pretty. So glad you were able to find a lamp shade that lamp is gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anne, I love that you painted a glass lamp ... don't know that I would have thought of that. The lampshade and lamp are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lampshade fits the look of the new/old base much better than the Ikea base! I love that you can hang onto something for years and years until one day you know just the perfect place for it. Now THAT'S a satisfying feeling! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy! You're so right!!

      Delete
  15. Love it Ann and free stuff is awesome! I'm about to find a whole bunch of stuff I forgot I had as we get our house ready to sell!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect pairing! I love the lampshade and the makeover white base.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The lampshade looks like it was made for the white base, actually looks better than the original base. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great lamps and such a clever idea for the shade. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such an interesting lamp base and the shade goes with it perfectly... great reason to keep our little projects around until we're inspired to finish them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!