Giving the Dining Room an Industrial Flavour

You know how it is when you have a design concept and you're half way through the execution of it and getting that sense of "oh oh, this isn't how I thought it would look"?   That's been the journey of my dining room... well my whole house, actually!  I get way too distracted by the things I see on Pinterest and other blogs...


I was well on the way to finishing my dining room decor, in fact I had even torn apart my dining table to put a brand new wood top on it when I found a little (UGLY) tv tray at a yard sale for a buck.  I thought I could use the legs for something else so I bought it and brought it home.

but the legs didn't work for the purpose I had in mind so I threw it in my shop.  Then I began thinking, the wood in that table looks a lot like my dining room table.



hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

My dining table that now looks like this:



Actually, I painted it white after I did this chalk paint treatment but never photographed it cause I didn't like the way that looked either.


I decided to refinish the top of the TV tray cause it's little and wouldn't take a ton of sanding to do.  Then I would know what my table could look like if I restained it a darker colour without all the pain and suffering of refinishing the larger top and then deciding I don't like it.  Smart, huh?  That's me.  Well no, you saw how I keep doing it the hard way right?  Yep, that's me - take the long way to get where you're going, at least that's me on the decorating side of my life.

And the TV tray turned out AMAZING.  



Pain and suffering quickly began as I located the now stored in the shed table top and got out my DeWalt orbital sander.

During the process I decided to paint the table legs black to go along with my new Industrial Cottage decorating style.   
Taaaah Daaaah!



This is Minwax's Provincial Stain - love, love, love - did I say LOVE???


Notice anything else??  Remember this?  The tablecloth-turned-shower curtain?   


Well I bought another tablecloth and matching placemats and brightened up the dining room with new seat cushions!  I threw in some linen napkins in yellow and taupe.  


B E F O R E 

A F T E R


Now it works great with my Baker's Rack too






Oh and if you missed my bathroom makeover post, click HERE
and for the Baker's Rack makeover(s), click HERE

Cheers!

26 comments:

  1. It all looks very stylish! What a difference you've made! I love how the table turned out and the little tray table is cute, too. Funny how we get our ideas! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great and wonderful change. Now the table has presence. Who knows where inspiration will come from, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Anne, that looks awesome! I can see why you love love love the stain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Anne. I love both new table top finishes and how the dining table top is less shiny. A pretty room! I stripped and restrained my kitchen table a while back but forgot to do the two end extensions so my plan is to resand and restain. This time I will spend more time protecting the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa... thanks for sharing this! Goodness.. what a beautiful transformation of that pine table. I have one of those tv trays too--- I just might give the stain a try, I really love the results you've gotten! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continue to amaze me! I do like the idea of sampling your ideas on a smaller project (just in case). Your new table is fabulous. The interesting thing is that the "before" picture looks almost identical to my dining room table. My chairs, however, are a similar stain to your new table. Now once again, you've gotten the wheels in my head turning. I never thought about changing the table! Qs. How long does it take you to execute these projects? And do you round up friends to help or go at it solo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table is just so much more interesting. Love the mismatched chairs too. Even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne your table and tray turned out beautifully! Love the darker rich color!Great pop of color with those cushions and placemats too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the process that we all go through to get to the point where we like a room. If it weren't for blogs we wouldn't know any of the dirty little details. Your room turned out fab! Are those wicker chairs from Ikea? I thought I saw them there. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne this looks so good with the new colors. I'm not sure how big your house is, but when a house is smaller and you like to change things up similar colors throughout really work.The table seems so much more impressive, fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house IS small and you're right, repeating details ties the whole scheme together.

      Thanks Di! You're such a sweetheart! xox

      Delete
  11. Anne your table looks fantastic, as I have told you before, love, love Minwax Provincial. It just works for so many things and for so many styles. Love that you used that same happy fabric.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your dining table Anne! Love the little TV tray too! I get distracted by anything and everything lately!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the bright cheery colors you've chosen, and the way you refinished your tables--very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Anne, That looks great (the table and also the t.v table). I did notice in one of the pictures snow. Say it isn't so. Oh the thought of snow is not too far away here in Maine. Your home looks great. Looking forward to more inspirational pictures.
    Hugs!
    Lisa Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! No no snow anywhere - it was an old photo!!

      Thanks so much Lisa Rose! Check out my post tomorrow, 5 new blogs for you
      to discover and their best projects showcased!!

      Delete
  15. Look at you and your orbital sander go! Bet those table legs didn't see that coming, but the whole thing is looking fine. Who's coming for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to remember that name of the MinWax stain. Looks so good. You always make things look better.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! We have a black table base... I have been thinking about going white but it is such a BIG commitment!! What if it doesn't work out!! I think I will start with white chairs. I love your little wicker chairs- I have the same ones -well, I have one of them. They look adorable with your table.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful job! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. much much much better.....love it......it was all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love it Anne!...the stain and paint combination is one of my very favorite looks and really like the way to added the black chair too!...great job on the tray too!!..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a difference! Great job, Great eye! looks so pulled together love the refinished top and now the black really looks great with the curtains, more cohesive and adds a touch of elegance. The Whole room went from drab to fab! Love the placemat idea as well. Popped over from Show me What You Got.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anne,

    Great job creating just the look that you wanted...I love the stained table top and the pops of color that you brought in are great! :-) Thanks for sharing this at the Inspiration Gallery!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. it's a great article, i love the pictures. Thanks for sharing this bookmarking your website as we speak lol xx
    from: CUT IT OUT wall stickers

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful trasforming! Your table is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing. Little by little I am transforming mine to replicate yours.Leather Button Beds

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!