Epsom salts aren't a salt like table salt, they are a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. This combination has a multitude of benefits for health, gardening and household uses. I use them all the time in my garden and around the house. Here are just a few of the ways I use Epsom Salts:
First Aid and Beauty
1. Ease muscle strain: Add 2 cups to bath water and soak for at least 20 minutes.
2. Cut & inflammation relief: A thick paste of Epsom salt and water applied to the affected area will provide additional relief.
3. Foot care: Soaking your feet in an Epsom salt bath can help relieve the symptoms of Athlete's Foot, gout and toenail fungus.
4. Splinter remover: If you have a splinter, soak the area in Epsom salts and hot water and the splinter will dislodge on its own.
5. Hair clarifier: To remove product buildup combine one gallon of water, one cup of lemon juice and one cup of Epsom salts.Cover the mixture and let it sit for at least 24 hours. When it is ready,pour it over dry hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before shampooing.
6. Exfoliator: Epsom salts rubbed over wet skin make a great exfoliator.
7. Hand cleaner: Epsom salt mixed with baby oil is an effective hand wash.
House & Garden
8. Bathroom tile cleaner: Epsom salts + Liquid Dish Detergent in equal parts
9. Slug deterrent: Epsom salts sprinkled in a circle around garden plants will prevent slugs from reaching the plants as well as provide the plants with a source of magnesium necessary to help them flourish.
10. Fertilizer: apply a quarter cup every six weeks around heavy feeders such as roses and rake into the soil. If you throw in a couple of banana peels per rose bush for a dose of potassium as well, your roses will thrive!
11. Lawn insect pest killer: Epsom salts used on your lawn will safely and naturally get rid of insect pests as well as make your lawn green. Use a ratio of two tbsp to a gallon of water. This works so well, you'll never want to use chemicals on your lawn again!
Another naturally occurring substance that can help you rid your life of chemicals and pesticides! Get out there and spread it around.
Have a great week!