Epsom Salts for the Home, Garden AND Natural Beauty!


You probably already have a bag of Epsom Salts hanging around your house.  Pretty much everyone knows you can use it in the bathtub for muscle aches, but did you know how versatile Epsom Salts really are?


Epsom salts aren't a salt like table salt, they are a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. This combination has a multitude of benefits for health, gardening and household uses.  I use them all the time in my garden and around the house.  Here are just a few of the ways  I use Epsom Salts:

First Aid and Beauty


1. Ease muscle strain: Add 2 cups to bath water and soak for at least 20 minutes.


2. Cut & inflammation relief: A thick paste of Epsom salt and water applied to the affected area will provide additional relief.


3. Foot care: Soaking your feet in an Epsom salt bath can help relieve the symptoms of Athlete's Foot, gout and toenail fungus.


4. Splinter remover: If you have a splinter, soak the area in Epsom salts and hot water and the splinter will dislodge on its own.


5. Hair clarifier: To remove product buildup combine one gallon of water, one cup of lemon juice and one cup of Epsom salts.Cover the mixture and let it sit for at least 24 hours. When it is ready,pour it over dry hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before shampooing.

6. Exfoliator: Epsom salts rubbed over wet skin make a great exfoliator.


7. Hand cleaner: Epsom salt mixed with baby oil is an effective hand wash.

House & Garden


8. Bathroom tile cleaner: Epsom salts + Liquid Dish Detergent in equal parts

9. Slug deterrent: Epsom salts sprinkled in a circle around garden plants will prevent slugs from reaching the plants as well as provide the plants with a source of magnesium necessary to help them flourish.

10. Fertilizer: apply a quarter cup every six weeks around heavy feeders such as roses and rake into the soil. If you throw in a couple of banana peels per rose bush for a dose of potassium as well, your roses will thrive!

11. Lawn insect pest killer: Epsom salts used on your lawn will safely and naturally get rid of insect pests as well as make your lawn green. Use a ratio of two tbsp to a gallon of water.  This works so well, you'll never want to use chemicals on your lawn again!



Another naturally occurring substance that can help you rid your life of chemicals and pesticides!  Get out there and spread it around.


Have a great week!

35 comments:

  1. I've heard of a few of these, but I really needed to read the one about slugs around plants. Ugh, my hostas are almost gone. Mind you, I don't garden or take care of what little I do have, so serves me right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so many uses, I'll have to get it out of bathroom now :-)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew some of these but not all of them! Thanks for sharing them lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My garage sale & thrift store BFF swears by the salts relieving muscle stress. I have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew??? My daughter gets slivers all the time and won't let me take them out..I will have to try soaking them in epsom salts and see if that work. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of Epsom salts, but I didn't know all these things. Thank you...and love the front of the house with the new colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a doll Di! Thank you!!

      Delete
  7. I have tried a few of these tips and am looking forward to trying a few I hadn't heard of! Thanks Anne and have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hubby was bitten by a Fiddleback spider and we made a paste of Epsom salt and water and put it on the bite with a gause pad over it to hold it on. Then I wet a hand towel and put it in the micro to heat it up as hot as he could stand it. Wrapped it around his leg, wrapped that in saran wrap to hold in the moisture and wrapped it all in a bath towel to keep the heat in. Left it on until it cooled completely. The next day when he went to the doctor, the doctor couldn't believe how good it looked. He said the poison was almost all pulled out. He still had to take antibiotics but it would have been much worse if we hadn't used the Epsom salt right away. The Dr. wanted to know exactly what we did and said he would be telling his patients to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, Carla!! but how fabulous that the epsom salts did such a great job.

      Thanks for sharing your story!

      Delete

  9. Acabei de conhecer o seu blog,achei maravilhoso.Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
    Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

    Obrigada.

    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne ... thanks for sharing all these uses for Epsom Salts. Use if often to soak swollen feet, but like the idea of the pack. Will try that.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post...my mom and dad swore by all the uses of Epsom salts...and I learned even more today!
    Thanks Anne....great tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tips, Anne. I'm going to definitely try it on my lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post Anne, I didn't know a lot of that about Epsom Salts. I'm going to get some now, mostly for my hair and skin. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who would have thought it. I am going off to the shops to buy as much as I can find. Thank you for all those very useful tips.
    I love the ideas of the hand wash and tile cleaner...just brilliant!
    Thank you, Anne!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was very interesting. I've never used Epsom salts yet, but I like doing my own cleaner and stuff like that, so I'll consider adding it to the things I use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We always have epsom salts around for soaking sore feet! Never knew about the exfoliator idea though. Have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are all great tips, Ann, thank you! Some of them are brand new to me, like using on your lawn and garden. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips, Anne. I love to put it in my bath water, and I do put it on a washcloth and rub my skin if I have an itch. I didn't know I could fertilize my lawn and flowers with it, or get rid of pests. I'll be trying some of these. Thanks. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome information. Some I had already heard others I hadn't. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips Anne. I've used Epsom salts in the garden, but didn't know that it kept the slugs an snails away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I grew up with Epsom salts being a must-have in the home! But to have the various uses all bundled in one package is super helpful - yes, just had to pin this one!!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tips, Anne! I use it in my gardens all the time, love it for the tomatoes. I've pinned this.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well Anne - HAVE to pin this - all I knew about was for the bath LOL - amazing!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had no idea there were so many uses for Epsom Salts. Great information Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such helpful tips, Anne. I love to use them in my bath, but hadn't any idea how many other ways Epsom salts come in handy. I'm always looking for ways to go natural, thanks for sharing ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Epsom salts. I just bought a massive container full the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've got fibromyalgia. If there's a flare-up or I overdo physical activity, a long soak in a tub Epsom salts and green alcohol helps me become mobile again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that something simple can give you some relief. So sorry about the fibromyalgia.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  28. I didn't know you could could use Epsom salts as a bathroom tile cleaner or in the garden! So many great uses. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm going to try this on my lawn today...chinch bugs have decided to camp on the front lawn. We don't use chemicals in our yard, so I usually use human grade DE for bugs. It's useless if it gets wet, though, so I'm all over this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!