Home Made Frying Pan Gingerbread Granola - Easy Peasy!!!

First let's be clear, I am not a food blogger and I am not enthusiastic about cooking.  When God was passing out that gene, I must have gotten into the wrong lineup.  I think I hit the DIY lineup twice over instead. I do, however, collect recipes that are quick, easy and nutritious.  And low on sugar and "white" stuff.

I was buying granola in a box for the longest time, but it was expensive and had a lot of raisins and dried cranberries in it - both of which I am not supposed to eat while I am working on healing adrenal fatigue and hyperthyroidism... I decided to create my own recipe.

I tried the oven  baked kind, but found it a pain in the butt to make.  Then I found a couple of recipes for frying pan granola and thought - what a great idea!  Even though I had to buy a frying pan just for making it.  Oh well, small price to pay for convenience!



Here is what I do - and I've estimated the quantities since I never measure anything...

4 cups rolled oats (I used Quaker Quick Oats)
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp ground cinnamon*
1 tbsp ginger*
1 tsp cloves*
3/4 cup butter (real butter please!)
2 cups various nuts/seeds  (I use sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts, & slivered almonds)
1/2 cup Flax seed (crush it if you want, I never do)
1/4 cup chia seeds

If you want to add dried fruit, don't add it until the mixture is cooked and cooling.  And if you're super adventurous try using unsulphured molasses instead of the honey - unsulphured is supposed to be better for you, blackstrap has contaminants in it.

Melt the butter and honey in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Add vanilla and spices, mix well.  Add oats and stir until the oats are all coated well.   Add in nuts and seeds and continue stirring until oats are browned and look a little crumpled.

Cool and store in large mason jars or hermetically sealed jars. Or whatever container you want.  I prefer glass to any kind of plastic.

To serve, top with fresh or frozen berries or apple pieces and milk or yogurt.  YUM!!!  I've no idea how long this stores for, a recipe only lasts a week in my house cause I'm addicted.

*ps I usually double the amount I use for spices, but you may not love these spices as much as I do...

Enjoy!




18 comments:

  1. So the girl is good in the kitchen as well? Geez Ann!
    This recipe is a keeper. We love granola on our yogourt in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks really yummy. I love cereal with crunchy bits in it and no dried fruit (not a big fan of the stuff). I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love granola on a roasted mango slice! I never thought about cooking granola in a pan! Thank you for the idea ;)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you popped in Ally!

      Delete
  4. Yum! That looks really good. How did you find out that you have Adrenal Fatigue? I am thinking that my husband might have that, but I don't know for sure.
    Have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. That looks awesome. Must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Anne. I will have to give this a try- with some gluten-free oats, I'll be scarfing this down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gingerbread, so I'm probably going to love this too! Thanks for sharing it and I'm pinning it to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how yummy Anne! Great for the holidays too. That is comfort food indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a granola junky! Never thought of making it myself. I think I can!! Although we may be in the same gene pool as far as cooking goes. Pinning for a snack attack moment !

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! My daughter can even eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good Anne but don't know if I would take the time to make it. I am sure that once I did, I would keep it on hand all the time.
    Thanks...
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm... I've neve made my own, but I really should. You've inspired me Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade granola is the best! Thanks for sharing Anne!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. what? I never thought ginger could be in Granola. I guess we learn something every day.
    Thanks for linking with us! :) #whyfakeitjustmakeit

    P.S. I am also for the fast and easy and nutritious recipes. I do like cooking, but when in good and perfect conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks a great idea, I will have to try this!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!