Farmhouse Side Table




Time for another table mini makeover.  My cats have made a mess of a console table I have in my living room.  They are always jumping up on this table and they've scratched up the top so much that it looks awful.

The top is made of rubberwood and when I researched refinishing  rubberwood, everything I found said it was difficult to do.  Rather than frustrating myself over attempting to refinish the top, I decided to build a new top with a piece of maple veneer plywood and some quarter-round moulding.

Here is the table when it was new:



and here it is after its 2012 makeover:

But that top no longer looks remotely attractive.  Cats!!  Oh well, they keep inspiring new projects...

I measured the top of the table and cut a new top that was a little larger - I had found the original to be a little too small.  I cut the quarter-round and mitered the corners and then glued and nailed it onto the new plywood top.


This is the underside of the table:


I used my favourite stain, Minwax Provincial, and a wood conditioner before staining.  This makes it so much easier to get an even coat of stain without any blotchy spots!



Here is the final look:




This was a pretty quick fix that took a couple of hours to put together.  Mitering the corners of the moulding was the only tricky bit.  I'm still a newbie at figuring out how to do that...

Have a great day!



28 comments:

  1. I had to laugh...when I got to the sentence that started with "I decided to build a new top", my first thought was, "of course you did"!! I would have slapped some contact paper over it and called it good..which is why I am a crafter and not a DIY Hero like you!! Awesome job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne you did a great job on this project!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you're amazing - I'm laughing my head off here - you act like making a new table top is soooo easy!
    It's gorgeous though - LOVE it like this - very farmhouse chic!
    OXXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann you should do a tutorial on how to miter!!! Love the new table top!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Can't believe how beautiful it is and that you made it yourself, with the little carving and all. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darned cats! Your new table/top looks great ... goes great with the stain on your hardwood flooring. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitering corners are hard...but nothing that some wood filler can't fix. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love each transformation of this table, but the last one is the best. Who couldn't want more space :) Such skill!! I've pinned and sharing on fb tomorrow afternoon. Have a great night ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so much better Anne ... thanks for the tip on the wood conditioner. Will try that. Given all the furniture I have stained over the years, I cannot believe I have not used that product.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, you never cease to amaze me Anne!!...An incredibly beautiful table as a result of your DIY talents...love the color of the stain you chose!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Impressive!! I don't know if I would be brave enough to attempt that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the first comment is dead-on. Only you would venture into door number 2..."Build a New Table Top"....yep, and pull it off with style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this project Anne! It looks fantastic now! Happy Friday!

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job, you are so talented!! I am very impressed! Your table looks wonderful, very professional!! Thank you for the tip on the wood conditioner, I also had never heard of that one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! I'm glad I could give you a tip you'd not heard before as well. I wish I'd known about that wood conditioner years ago!!

      Thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  15. Great job! I need to purchase some wood conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mitering the corners??? Oh wow...you go girl!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful update! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the lighter stain and edge detail. You seem to have a knack for seeing potential in anything!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the POP of colors.....looks awesome Anne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous !! Looks beautiful ! Love the two tone colors !!

    Best,
    Marlin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - good for you tackling projects that involve mitre-ing things!! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have problems with my cats too, but I haven't noticed any scratches on the furniture, yet. Great fix, it looks fabulous!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You and your power tools! This new table top is gorgeous. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!