Kitchen Overhaul - My 2014 Challenge

This is the one section of the kitchen that isn't changing.
  Can I do it? You bet I can!!  I've lived in this little house for 3 1/2 years now and the whole time I've lived here, I've disliked my kitchen.  It's a decent sized room - 9' x 13 1/2' but the layout is a bit challenging.  When I moved in, there were 4 doors into the kitchen, one from the living room, one from the mudroom, one from a storage space and one from a bathroom.   There's a chimney stack bumpout dead center of one wall preventing me from a really good use of space plan.  In the original kitchen there were only 5 cabinets, a 6' stretch of counter space broken up in the middle by the kitchen sink, a GINORMOUS fridge and a pimple of a range...  The layout was a challenge from the beginning and my budget was an even bigger challenge.



In 2010 I installed  a new kitchen (new cabinets, sink, faucet, lights, hardware)  I went for a galley plan but it doesn't work for me.  L and U shaped kitchens are my favourites.  I racked my brain for a layout that worked with the cabinets I have now but until now, I couldn't come up with anything. Enter a photo found on Pinterest...

EEEK!  THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.andrerothblattarchitecture.com

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU MR ANDRE ROTHBLATT, ARCHITECT!

I measured the space and the cabinets I have and this works beautifully!  I'll need new counters, but I had planned to do new counters anyway.  I'll also need to fill in an 8" space beside the dishwasher and build or buy one cabinet/shelving unit/some such thing for over the fridge but that should be cheap & easy to build.  So here's the way the kitchen looks now:



It looks pretty close to the inspiration photo, don't you think? Here are larger photos:



The kitchen sink side doesn't need altering, I can move the fridge pretty easily and those holes over the fridge?  They are to let light in from the new window I installed over my laundry tub.  I threw the old bathroom mirror up there to reflect more light.  With the fridge moved out of the way, I can cut a larger opening and let in even more light!! WOOOT! OMG DAYLIGHT IN MY KITCHEN!!!  Sorry for shouting... that is the number one reason I hate my kitchen.  I'm so glad I never got to the trim out stage of those openings yet - bless Max the kitten for the month long delay!

The cabinets on the far side of the pot rack in photo #2 will be dismantled and reassembled across the open shelf wall.  I can move the over the stove cabinet and range hood to fit in between.  Then the range will be moved into the center of the wall (right where those open shelves are now) giving me the L-shape that I love the best!  I do have a bit of a challenge with the floor, though.  Part of the flooring is missing under the base cabinets that I'm moving... oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.  I'm so excited!! Hope you stick around to see the fun  (and no, I'm not starting this project until the new year dawns...)


In case you were wondering, here's what the kitchen looked like when I moved in together with the way it looks now:



Happy dreaming-of-the-perfect-home!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

28 comments:

  1. I love your inspiration and look forward to seeing your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You know I'll be watching...in my spare time! LOL! It's going to be gorgeous! And definitely..yay for light! I have complete faith in you pulling this off! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the games begin! Looking forward to watching it transform!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anyone can do it, I know you can! Wouldn't it be great if funds weren't an issue :) I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that in 2014 you'll amaze us Anne! The kitchen that inspired you is gorgeous and it seems to be really working out for your layout. Go Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like a big project masquerading as a little project, but you have tackled some pretty big renovations in the past with great success. I am sure this kitchen makeover is going to be wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait you are a bold soul ! Smile.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, either that or completely crazy - but I think it will look AMAZING! thanks Di!!

      Delete
  8. Wow, sounds like it will be amazing. I can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'm sure you will make it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne ... you are one tough lady to tackle that by yourself. I know you can do it since you have set your mind to it. Good luck ... anxious to see the end result.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting. Can't wait to see what you do and follow along with your progress! I know it will be delightful when you are through!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you could even cut a long shaped window like the one in your inspiration pic where your fridge is now, couldn't you? It would be lovely! Finding a floor plan that works for you is the most difficult thing, I think. Because my cottage is old, there are a few things that can't be changed and I've worked on 4 different floor plans already... It'll be so fun watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love that you know what you want and you do it yourself, anne:) i'll being following your journey--have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic, Anne!! The way you have described it, I can almost see it. I'll be following along and look forward to the real deal. You are right, your kitchen is already more than halfway there the way it is right now. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s such a great as wonderful plan for your kitchen Anne. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such a great vision. You bet you can do this, with talent and ability I think you can build most things with no seat. Can't wait to see the progress!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, that kitchen by Mr. Architect is almost spot on your kitchen. You can do it girl!! And I know you will too. Will be watching for the changes my friend. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to see the transformation! I know you can accomplish miracles ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the positive vibes you and my other bloggy friends send me, it's no wonder I can do anything! Thanks Wendy xox

      Delete
  18. Can't wait to see what you do Anne- the kitchen is on our 2014 list as well. Such a big job!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're getting ready to have some real fun in 2014. Looking forward to see your progress. Love the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, can't wait to see what you'll do, I love your projects!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, it's going to be fabulous! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found this post from A Joyful House's link party and OMG, Anne! I'm doing a happy dance for you and your kitchen plans. Your current kitchen is darling, but I understand your dissatisfaction with a galley floor plan. Your inspiration photo is of my absolute favorite kitchen floor plan with the range and sink at right angles and a prep counter in between. I think it's the perfect work space and the one I tried hard to have in my own kitchen, but it was too small. You are gonna LOVE it. I'll have to look ahead in your posts now to see if you've started on it yet. Also, there's even a window in your inspiration photo in the exact place of your laundry room window. I mean, what are the chances of that? Woot Woot! Way to go! It's going to look great! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne, I'm already impressed with what you've done with your kitchen, so this makeover is going to be nothing short of amazing. Aren't you just so glad you found the kitchen that inspired your vision? (I'm pinning that by the way. Love it!) It's going to be so much fun watching your progress. Thanks for linking up to Every Room In The House @ A Joyful Cottage! Cheers ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! & thanks for hosting too!

      Delete
  24. Hi, visiting from every room in the house party. I think you have accomplished a lot so far. Your inspirational photo is fabulous and yes, it will work great with your existing kitchen. Love what you have in the first photo. Certainly don't change it!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok Anne,
    I am cheering for you. I know you will be amazing in this space. Everything you touch turns out so great. You go girl. I wish I lived closer I would be right in there helping you. Can't wait.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!