Making a Chandelier My Own


Chandeliers - never in my life did I ever think I would be drawn to them. I've never been a "girlie girl", not a huge fan of pink and certainly not a lover of all things white (gets dirty WAAAAY too fast!).   Well, hold onto your hats, this girl is coming of age!!

When I first moved into my little house, I went on a lighting campaign.  All the fixtures in the house were cheap crappy ugly ones that I couldn't bear to live with.  I bought nice new fixtures until that budget ran out and then I bought stuff on huge markdown to replace the ugly stuff until I could find exactly what I wanted.

In my bedroom I thought I wanted a Moravian star.  I love those fixtures!  So I bought and installed one in there.   Wait for it, the BEFORE shot from my take no prisoners master bedroom makeover madness project:

*shudder*  That orange and brown with stained wood trim... so glad it's gone!

I can tell you now, that light fixture mocked me.  It was off-center (hate that).  It was a single 60 watt max bulb in a 200 square foot room with the closet at the opposite end of the room.   It was ALWAYS DUSTY.  Crap.  It was also $200 out of my lighting budget, so it stayed.

This past year my love affair with the chandelier began.   My favourite kind of chandelier is a bare basic model that looks like the candle chandelier I got from Ikea for my last house:

I still love this fixture...

But Ikea doesn't sell that one anymore and I don't like what they do sell and it wasn't wired anyway.  I bought a cute smaller version of this fixture at a yard sale for $5 and after a few months, painted it shabby white (shabby being more the way I painted it rather than a colour).


and here it is painted with a few crystals added for good measure.


There was already a hook in the ceiling and that's why it got hung there.  It actually worked out well since there's not much daylight in the kitchen and when there's a power outage, this chandelier lights up the room quite nicely!

Then, wonder of wonders, I found a similar wired chandelier at Home Depot for $70.  That baby was coming home with me!

I didn't take a photo, too excited to spray paint the fixture.  Here's the best I can do - photo from side of box:


The photo on the box makes the wrought iron look like it's one colour - it isn't.  The actual finish is mottled light black/dark black and I didn't care for it much, that's why I painted it antique white.  When I get tired of the white, I'll spray paint it satin black.  Cause that's the way I roll.  Give me a year or so and it'll change again... 

After I spray painted the fixture, I hung it and swagged the very long chain over to dead center of the ceiling - WIN-WIN!!!  Well not really, cause I didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry and so I wound up touching up the paint with latex paint that didn't quite match.   That's why I have embraced the shabby chic style, it matches my impatient, instant gratification junky nature.


The chandelier looks kinda wonky in this photo, but you can take my word for it - soooo much better!


Then I decided I wanted some bling on it.  I live in the boonies - have I mentioned that enough?  No Michaels, no Home Sense, no craft stores to speak of...  Luckily it's close to Christmas and the decorations are beginning to appear.  I found one container of crystals at Target and one length of a chunky crystal garland.   I attached them to the chandelier using single strands of picture wire.


When the light is turned on, it's so sparkly - I love it!!  And when I decide I don't love it anymore I can easily remove the crystals.  (The remaining crystals are on the candle chandelier above.)

I'm still searching for even more crystals to add or maybe some lamp shades with prism tassels, hmmmm... Isn't it fun to take something and make it yours?  Happy decorating!

Cheers!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Instagram


35 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely bedroom Anne and that chandelier of yours is really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Your bedroom looks fantastic.
    I loved that old IKEA chandelier too and always wished that I had bought it way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always dreamed of having as Moravian star light fixture - so glad you let me know they are actually a nightmare. You took a long journey from the dark and orange to the light and airy. Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! It came out great!

    I love the Moravian star lantern, but it's a southwest look, and sometimes it is even a southern California look if one has a Mediterranean home. I have one in my bedroom, it's clear. I also have some made of tin that I want to hang outside my spouse's office someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Anne it looks so much better, especially with your newer bedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! It definitely fits the bedroom better!!

      Delete
  7. Well I only eyed my own clearance aisle chandelier about 10 times while reading this! I might need to make it over. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chandelier goes so well with the bedroom concept, I believe you that it feels even better in reality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great. You've done such a good job. Shabby chic is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this chandelier Anne. Your made her so pretty. I have to say I am a huge chandelier person, love them!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sooo loving the white, and for me a little bling (or a lot, lol) just makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh now I am mad at Ikea too for not selling that anymore....or else I would be on my way to Seattle right now...vroom vroom....LOL.....LOVE IT ANNE!!!! PINNING

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that looks pretty fantastic! I'm a sucker for a chandelier too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love the added bling. I would not have thought to look at Target. Your so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anne, it turned out great! It makes your bedroom look so elegant and feminine. I have Christmas garland (that has little faux crystal prisms hanging down) on the chandelier in our study year round. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Mom has the same light fixture (also from HD) in her dining room but it's a solid black, not mottled at all. It looks pretty painted white and since there are not a lot of parts, it'll be easy to change the colour if you ever decide on making a change. Love the touch of sparkle.
    I can relate to not having access to good shopping. After seven plus years, we are finally moving from small town back to city living. Unfortunately, no Target. They closed the Zellers as Target opted to not convert the store. Too bad because Zellers was a pretty decent store.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you added the crystals, it really dresses it up. And as you say, when you're bored a can of spray paint will fix that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bedroom is beautiful Anne ... fresh and happy looking. The light looks really nice over your bed too. We removed the light kit from the bottom of our ceiling fan with plans to hang a chandelier ... but that is not happening ... maybe next year. Your bedroom is an inspiration.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great Anne, good job on the chandy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your new chandelier is the perfect touch over your bed. I like it better in shabby white than its original dark colour. It's girly enough, but not too much, perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you have done with your chandelier! A wonderful makeover - enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Moravian stars; however this pretty chandy looks fantastic in your room!…Great idea to paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the star light fixture, Anne. I have seen one like it at a favorite restaurant of mine, and always admired it. The chandelier is so pretty too. The crystal garland adds a special touch. Don't ya just love Target? I went there today and bought some goodies.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks great all together in the room! I think the crystals add that extra sparkle that makes it girly enough for such a pretty bedroom. I like rustic stuff and once saw an amazing "chandelier" made out of deer antlers. My husband took one look and said 'NO' ... he didn't even give it a chance ... I still think it would look great in our kitchen ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spouses can sure cramp our style!! LOL Thanks for visiting Wendy! xox

      Delete
  25. I love your room! It is gorgeous, as is the rest of your house! I have to admit I have a little girl crush on you: you aren't afraid to take on any project and they turn out great. Thanks for being you! Karen@NourishwithKaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet Karen! Thank you!

      xox

      Delete
  26. Love how you blinged it up. I'm waiting for the chandelier Christmas ornaments to go on sale at RH to add to one of my fixtures (we're talking more than 50% off though)!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've always veered away from chandeliers, I think it's because my mom had one of those brassy 80's numbers hanging in our dining room, with matching brassy 80's style wall mount candelabra to boot!! Your chandies are so not-brassy-80's, I think I could be swayed ;p They both look gorgeous, and kudos for pushing your girly limits!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love what you did to it! Great idea to add the crystals.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sooo gorgeous Anne! I love bling so I'm crushing on the crystal accents! Great job - you are so clever! Have a fab week ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!