2013 in Review Part 2 - Furniture Makeovers & More

Furniture makeovers - one of my favourite things!  It's so much fun to see how different a piece of furniture can look with a change of paint or stain colour or by adding something to it.  Here are my 2013 makeovers - click on the captions for more details.

In the case of this first piece, I took a large butcher block cutting board and glued it to the top of a metal table that I picked up for a song at a yard sale.   Easy industrial look!



My vintage writing desk got three makeovers this year.  It went from shabby chic white to a milk paint look that I loved (but it didn't work with the room) to a chippy aqua blue that I fell in love with.

 




I created some funky storage to hide my tools in the mudroom.


I wanted a mini display stepladder so I built one from scraps - now it's my new kitten's favourite "toy".  Go figure!



I just love checkerboards!  I made over my kitchen step stool using red chalk paint and taped off the checkerboard with masking tape.  A quick roll-over with white latex paint and a hand drawn design  gave me a super cute country look.


After that project, I got right into using masking tape to create patterns on my furniture.  Here's how a shelf desk turned out:

Then I went a little nuts and started painting stripes on everything!

           


I made over my baker's rack (again).  I had painted it with white chalk paint but never really fell in love with that makeover.  In this one, I sanded off a good portion of the white paint and repainted parts of it with umber acrylic paint.  Then I added some wood veneer to the wire shelves and stained all the wood to match my newly made over dining room table.



Here's the new dining room table.  It went from being a light stained wood to painted white to being stripped right down and made over again!  The top is Minwax Provincial stain and the base is Rustoleum Canyon Black.  I like it so much better.





 I built a pantry cabinet for myself too.  It's just a big rectangular box made out of plywood with shelves and shutters that I used for doors.  It's not finished yet.  I'm still working on the kitchen makeover.
I found a coffee table at the dump and dragged it home. It's solid maple!  I sanded it down, stained the top and painted the legs with chalk paint.  

Coffee Table Makeover

I made over another table by adding a new wood top to replace the one that was badly scratched.  Unfortunately, the type of wood made it impossible to refinish the original top so new was the only way to go.  
How to Swap a Table Top

Here's a quick recap of some of the easy decorative projects from this year:

Botanical Sign
Tray Makeover




Tea Towel Curtains & Shams

Raised Letter Sign

Dollar Store Letter Sign

Painted Tins



Hope you enjoyed the recap.  Much more still to come... what a busy year!

If you missed Part I - the Big Projects - click HERE

and you can find Part III - the Room Makeovers  HERE





Sharing with:
Be Inspired   Show & Tell Friday
Weekend Reading
Junkin Joes     Life of the Party
Top Posts of 2013
 Wow Us Wednesdays

24 comments:

  1. You have been busy Ann, everything you did turned out just great, wish I had half the talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks like you accomplished a lot this year! I can't wait to see what you have planned for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are sitting back for a minute and relishing all that you accomplished in 2013. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really done some great makeovers, and created some pretty things for your home. I love the Laundry sign, and the pantry is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have blown my mind. I am going to steall some of your ideas for my home. I love the step stool, the magazine table, and the shelf desk on the wall. I can get Hubby to help me make them for our kitchen next year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know where I pinned this! Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've injected so much character into your home. Love that grain sack shelf and chair you added to the bedroom- very clever use of space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do a lovely job making over furniture Anne, I really like your grain sack striped pieces and botanical sign is beautiful!! You have been busy this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you got so much done, Anne--way to go! I love the Paris tray and how you've added new wood tops to different types of furniture--that's a great idea that I've now squirrelled away for future use :) I also really love your use of color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my, you have been busy.

    Favs - the red checked steps and the grain sack stripes in the bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne,

    Love all the projects....but I think my favorite is the desk in the corner with the grain stripes! Thanks for the inspiration!

    Have an awesome day rock star!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I really had to pick, it would be the tool bench hideaway, I can't pass up great storage. Of course there's your grain stripes. I'm still inspired but have yet to do any. Love them all, Anne. So nice to get another look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really can't pick a favourite, so many wonderful project. And no kidding, you're still working on the kitchen porject? WOuld never have guessed with your pins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When you see them gathered, it is amazing to realize how many little projects you have done. It would be hard to pick a favourite- they are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been a good year for you my friend. Lots of work, beautiful results! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have been so busy! I love the aqua desk and the striped aqua desk! I also LOVE your tool storage; it's ingenious and good looking! Lots of creative, but functional projects, Anne. Hugs! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne, I remember all of these, what a busy little bee. How is the kitchen coming along?

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anne
    You sure got a lot accomplished in 2013!
    All of your projects are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A busy year, indeed, and I loved so many of your great projects. I didn't realize until I saw all of them together here how many of my own projects were inspired by yours, Anne. Your vintage desk makeover (which is one of my favorite photos, btw, so charming) inspired the writing desk I now have in a corner of my family room, your seed catalog art inspired my seed packet potting bench bunting last summer, and your red footstool inspired my blue checkered craft room stool! Your are just a fountain of inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so many great projects, love your little blue desk makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anne...you had an AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING YEAR!!! Everything is gorgeous!!!!!! : ) Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this 2014!!! Sending hugs and wishes for the best year ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!