2013 in Review Part 1- the Bathroom, the Bench and the Bright Side

I can't believe how fast 2013 went by.  What a whirlwind of a year!!  I have lots to show for it though and I am thrilled with the progress made on my home.
Here are the "big" highlights of my year, my top 3 posts:
My 3 year bathroom reno came to a close in the spring.  I am so happy to have an extra working bathroom located in my mudroom/laundry room.  I'm even happier that it is all my own work!




If you want more details on how I gutted and rebuilt this bathroom for only $4300, click HERE

My next challenge was to build a covered potting bench for the garden since I had borrowed my existing bench for the laundry room makeover...  


Here is what I came up with (minus the roof part because I wasn't able to finish the project before the cold weather hit)


That bench turned out even better than I had imagined it - don't you love it when that happens?  Full details HERE

The next most time consuming project was installing a window over my laundry tub, but what a difference it made!

and then I built some shutters as a window treatment to doll it up even more.

When I first dreamed this up, I thought it would take me 2 days to do the whole project.   I was wrong.   It took me one whole day just to rip down the drywall and do the framing.  Installing the window, insulating, vapour barrier, caulking, installing the beadboard panelling, trimming everything inside and out took me days to complete.  This whole thing from start to finish took me 5 days.  Then I built the shutters which took another day. That's why I never got around to finishing the potting bench.   **SIGH**  Good thing there's always next year!
For the step-by-step instructions, click HERE  Total cost including the window,  trim pieces, panelling, bringing the insulation up to R22 and building & installing the shutters was $300.  A steal of a deal even if it did take me 5 days to do (well 6 if you count the shutters).
Here are the links for Part II and Part III - Happy decorating!
2013 - Furniture Makeovers and more...

2013 - The Room Makeovers



Top Posts of 2013
2013 Year in Review     Best DIY Projects of 2013 
 Wow Us Wednesdays

32 comments:

  1. Those are all amazing projects Anne. Each one was well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero! Love all your projects this year, can't wait to see what next year holds!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things you have done in your home are an inspiration for anyone who has an idea but is too scared to give it a try. I've told you this before, and I will say it here publicly for all to see ... Anne, you are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really great accomplishments, Anne. And inspiring, because you do it all yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you got some huge tasks checked off the list and you did an amazing job on them. Cant wait to see what next year brings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my word - completely lovely! i can't get enough beadboard and you've reimagined this space so beautifully! yum!

    ♥ NORTHERN COTTAGE
    http://www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did lots this year, I remember all of those posts!!!! You ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne you had an amazing a projects galore for 2013

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweet little home has seen a lot of change, hasn't it. It grows more attractive with each month, it seems. You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You amaze me! I wish I had the confidence to try even a small DIY project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been a very busy and productive gal this year….all of your projects have been over the top phenomenal and gorgeous!…you should be so proud of what you have accomplished this year!!! Can't wait to see Part II.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your house is looking so nice, Anne. I am amazed by your talents. I really like the turquoise in your bathroom, and your laundry room is cool. Thank you for showing bits of your home.

    I hope you are enjoying this joyous Christmas season.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do amazing work, and have made your home so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should be proud!! Nice and not easy projects and well done. Brave girl to tackle tough jobs.
    Happy Christmas.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed following along with your on your projects this year, Anne. You're so talented and a great inspiration to me!! Looking forward to next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that outdoor gardening bench. It must be a great focal point in your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I love looking at it, too :)

      Thanks so much Daniela!

      Delete
  17. Hat off! I never tire or seeing your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Anne for putting all of this inspiration on one easy-to-pin post! You know I need it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your potting bench! And oh how I wish I could have a larger window over my laundry tub like you have...but not possible in the basement. And the bathroom...fantastic!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anne, You always inspire me with your beautiful projects! I can't wait to see what you have in store for 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh I dream of a potting bench! I love yours and would adore one in our backyard once we get finished with the landscaping. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great roundup of projects Anne, you've had a busy year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The shutters are so cute and I love the lavender in the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those shutters look adorable! That window is such a great addition to the space. It makes it so light and bright in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn! It made an enormous difference to the light and the feel of the space. :)

      Delete
  25. MY GOSH! You amaze me. How do I get invited over for tea!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kyla! We definitely should get together!!! Shoot me an email at designdreamsbyanne@gmail.com ;)

      Delete
  26. What a great idea, a yearly review of how kick-ass your projects are!!! May "borrow" that idea once I actually have more content! ;) My fave for this year, the window over the laundry tub, wow! I love your shutters too, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anne, you really did a fabulous job with every project you tackled! I really cannot pick a favorite, your colors are amazing...but...I do looove those shutters! Enjoy those beautiful spaces and Happy New Year! :) Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!