Cottage Bathroom Home Run


If you've been a follower of my blog for any length of time, you know that the main bathroom in my home is my nemesis... Bathtub tiles that I despise, a floor that does NOT coordinate and a complete lack of storage. This weekend; however, I decided to deal with that floor. Floor paint experiment number two!

This was a very time consuming fix - sanding first, then priming with an oil-based primer (peee-yew!!!), 3 coats of white floor paint with 24 hours between coats and picking up innumerable pieces of cat hair, lint, dirt, whatever (cannot believe how much crap fell on the surface in between coats!!) and the previous owners who had used non-paintable silicone caulking EVERYWHERE.   Ok, mini-meltdown over.  I LOVE it!!!

I used Behr's Porch Floor Paint, a small foam roller and Purdy's tiniest sash brush and my secret weapon? a sticky lint brush to pick up all the crap as I went along...  Seriously, I could not have managed without that lint brush!









Did you notice the tie-back for my shower curtain?  I used a necklace - I have a large supply of costume jewelry that I never wear.  Might as well use it here!



I repainted the bookcase I use as storage in the room and changed the handles, I also painted the chair and the hook rack.  I added new art (my own paintings) and I bought another shower curtain (the exact same one as in my other bathroom).  The room feels so much more spacious and happy now.



The nicest part about having to remove everything from the space is the cleaning and reorganizing when you put it all back.  I got rid of a lot of stuff and now what I have is easy to get at/find.



The paintings over the toilet and in the bookcase are my work as well.  And I painted the beach bag and wicker trash can to match the colour scheme.  A few extra cottage touches and the bathroom is done.



Success! If this floor doesn't hold up, I was planning to replace it with a new vinyl floor when I get around to replacing the toilet.  Oh, and by the way, I am not disliking the orange tiles as much as I did before either.  So glad about that!

Here are the before & after shots.  The before is the way the bathroom looked in the realtor's photos.




If you want to see the multiples stages of decor changes this room went through, the links are below:


Main Bathroom Gets a Makeover 2012 (I liked this one)

Shower Curtain from a Tablecloth 2013 (This one was cool, but the overload of colour was too much)

Hope you enjoyed the tour, have a happy & creative week!



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



Instagram


47 comments:

  1. It sounds like the floor was a huge job! I really like how it turned out, Anne. It looks so cheerful. Great idea to use the color blue which is opposite orange on the color wheel to tone the terracotta color down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly was a tremendous job, but it looks perfect! I also love that you have some blue in the shelf you use for storage. And the washbasin is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how it can be when a room isn't right and it grates on your subconscious. Painting the floor was a genius solution, and it turned out great! I'll bet you smile every time you walk past this room now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,
    It all looks so great in your bathroom. I had pink tiles like your orange ones when we moved in and I used epoxy paint made to paint bathroom tiles and the tiles are not white. It is pretty easy to use and I even did my tube in it. It is not a bad process either. You mix the stuff up put paint it on and then let it cure for 24 hours and you have brand new tiles. Just thought I would mention that if you do decide to paint them down the road. The bathroom looks awesome. You did a great job on the floor.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I meant to say the tiles are now white and I painted the tub too. Sorry I was typing too fast I guess.
      Kris

      Delete
  5. You hit it out of the park on this one Anne!!!....I love the colors and the colors do go so well with the tile...and I love that you put your own art in the room...you did a magnificent job as always Anne!...The "Home Run" was actually a Grand Slam out of the park!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, that floor makes a HUGE difference! It was totally worth all the work you put in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am loving this bath re do!! Nice job!! Love the aqua and white, it really tones down the tile. And I love that little window with the shutter, so cute!!! Nice artwork too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just when I think your space couldn't get any lovelier, you do something else that proves me wrong. I love this edition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bathroom looks fabulous and the floors are wonderful. Great job. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Anne, it looks SO much better! It's amazing what just painting one thing like the floor does for a room! I love the decor as well and especially your paintings! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks great Anne. I wonder if you could paint those tiles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! I looked into painting tile but the fumes would kill me, I'm very sensitive to those sorts of things. At least I don't hate my bathroom anymore!

      Delete
  12. Anne, such a great job. Amazing how a cheery bathroom can just lighten up our day!! Question: what kind of paint (type, brand) did you use on your floor? Thinking about painting our tile floor (porous ceramic tile) and just wondering if the same process would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the stuff I used - Behr Premium Low Lustre enamle porch & patio floor paint. Whew, what a name!! I got it at Home Depot.

      Delete
    2. that is enamel, not enamle - LOL!

      Delete
  13. You really have done an incredible job with your bathroom, Anne! It looks so bright and fresh, and cheerful!! Way to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy! The flooring is such an improvement it looks so different and the lint brush was a great idea! Your paintings are also wonderful. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. From realtor grade to how it looks now, you have really made some beautiful changes. Your style really shows through, now. Inadvertently you are helping me once again with my basement, as I hope to paint that floor in a similar fashion. I too have a cat, and now I'll be ready with the lint brush trick. Thank you for the tip !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another beautiful job. I would have been afraid to paint the floor, but it looks fantastic. Lovely Bathroom.
    Wish I could decide what I need to do to mine ... still waiting for make-over after major pluming problems.
    Thanks for the inspirations.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful! You are one serious DIY girl...all of that sanding and priming and lint rolling! LOL! Clever idea that lint roller...I'm filing that one! It all looks gorgeous as always. And you know I love your artwork;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So charming, Anne, as usual! What a difference that made to paint the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Anne, that looks great--Love it! and I love your new blog header too! The paintings you did are adorable. is the meadow painted on wainscot? I love that look--I see $$$$ signs with that--you should definitely sell them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. For the age of the home, that is a good sized bathroom. Ours is so small the door hits the toilet every time you open it. As always, you did a wonderful job giving your loo a fresh new look. The white floor makes a huge difference along with the touches of soft blue. Love how you always add a personal touch to your space with your own artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anne, WOW what a great job you have done to this room on a budget. Your paintings are so awesome, I'm telling you, you should sell these!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Impressive makeover with only a few changes! Good job Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The new brighter, lighter floor looks sooo much better Anne. I love that you used jewellery as a tieback for the shower curtain. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a beautiful job Anne! Love those pretty and soft pops of color!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, so I am now LOVING the brown tile. It takes on a whole new look and feel, it almost seems rather unique, meant to be....if you know what I mean. Amazing how changing the floor has really had such an effect. I think the tub tiles now become the feature versus competing with the old tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bathroom looks great Anne, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it!!!! What a difference, the before and after blew me away! What the heck were they thinking? I'm so glad you fixed it! LOL, your melt downs are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty Anne! I love the fresh blue and white scheme - amazing how the tiles blends now!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a difference Anne - your bathroom looks much larger too !
    LOVE your sink - and your little window with the shutter :)
    Happy Saturday
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great difference! Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam! I am very happy!

      Delete
  31. It turned out beautiful! Love the idea of a necklace as a tie back. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's been fun to watch your progress in this bathroom the past two years, Anne. You've come a long way, baby! :) ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I really love these latest changes. Cute idea for the shower curtain tieback. :)

      Delete
  33. This version is my favorite! Love the soft blue and white and I love your sink! Thanks so much for sharing at our Get Your DIY On party!! XO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!