Affordable, Easy DIY Floor for the Mudroom

Here we go again, another mudroom update!  After I painted the floor around my laundry sink, I HAD to do something about the mudroom floor. A flyer from Home Depot convinced me, groutable peel & stick tile was the way to go! And I am in love with my new floor.



When I moved into my home, the only things in this space were washer & dryer hookups and a crappy mdf pantry cabinet.  It's taken me 4 years to complete the space (including the complete renovation of the 1930s-badly-remodeled-in-the-1980s bathroom), but I am so thrilled with it now!  The previous owners had installed an orangey wood-look laminate floor in here.   The floor did not hold up well to water, mud, snow, gravel, grass, whatever else gets tracked in through the back door.  Then it got a little beat up during all the renovations that were going on, plus I did not like it.  At all.  So I spent $120 on new groutable vinyl peel & stick tile and I love the new look.  


What I loved best about this new floor is that you can buy individual tiles as well as cases so that you can get the exact number of tiles that you need instead of buying full cases and having loads left over.  I bought 6 extra tiles to keep on hand for repairs if needed and I am pleased with how easy they were to cut and install.  You can choose to grout them or not (I didn't) and the pattern hides everything!  

Here's a view of the old floor:



and now my lovely new floor:


                   BEFORE                                                             AFTER
I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you can't really see in these photos is the blue fleck in the tile that exactly matches my blue accents (and yes, that step stool is on the makeover list...).


I needed to sand and prime the laminate before installing these tiles.  I used a drywall sander (on a long stick) and Killz Cover Stain oil based primer.  Other than that and a good cleaning, the tiles were super easy to lay down and they stuck well.  I used Rhino Grip Tape along the edges and anywhere I thought the tiles might lose their stickiness (like the small edge pieces and around the doorways and washing machine).   To cut the tile, use a carpenter's square so you get a straight cut.  I used a utility knife to score the back of the tile several times and then snapped the tile at the score.  Then I used the knife to cut the rest of the way through along the front of the tile so that there were no jagged edges.  

Carpenter's Square
Utility Knife

My floor was extremely out of square and I didn't pay attention to the instruction that said start at the mid-point of the floor mainly because I had planned to do only the 12 square feet right at the door.  After I had done that area, I  was so in love with the look that I decided to do the whole floor in the same tile.  Don't make the same mistake as I did!  Figure out the mid point of the floor and work out from that spot, it will save you the agonizingly skinny cuts near the walls that I had to do...

This tile hides EVERYTHING.  I can't see anything on it until I step on it in bare feet - don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  At least it always looks clean!


And here is the rest of the laundry tour, the area that is around the corner nearest my washer & dryer:



Here's my new painted wood floor, the window & shutters I installed last fall and the new bathroom and laundry sink area:




If you want more details on how I pulled these spaces together, click on the images below.


Have a happy and creative week!

             






25 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful Anne :o) I have seen those tiles on someone else's blog and thought it was cool that they are groutable... I didn't know that you didn't have to grout though and it still looks great!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you jump in and tackle the big projects. This is great Anne and all the recent upgrades are bringing everything together. I appreciate all the things you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! I'm happy that folks want to see what I'm up to! Have a great weekend xox

      Delete
  3. It looks great, Anne! What a job! You are amazing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!!! This is wonderful!! Looks great and very fresh and clean....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy with it :)

      Delete
  5. it looks fabulous, anne! can i ask about your painted floor--do you love it, now, that you have lived with it for a bit? i want to paint my bath floor, but, can't quite do it yet:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Anne, I can't believe you did that flooring yourself. You did a wonderful job, and it looks great! I noticed the flower pictures against the washer and dryer - I love those! The blue in your bathroom is very similar to the color in my son's bathroom.........sooo pretty. Your house is coming along nicely, and it is very welcoming to me.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love that new floor. it looked great before but now all the colors are flowing together!!! Wowsers...busy girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put the same tiles in my little guest bathroom to cover some broken lino, and they really are the easiest things ever to care for. Your mudroom looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I love a floor that can hide dirt... Due to the cat population here, it was also my choice for the ground floor at the Cottage, and believe me you'll be happy with your choice for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The floor looks amazing!! Tile are still a great way to finish a floor. I have a white linoleum floor in my kitchen which shows every piece of dirt. I have to admit that I kind of like that because I can keep it clean (and I hate stepping on things in bare feet!). Your mud room looks so, SO nice, and I'm quite envious since I still do my laundry in the unfinished basement with the machines wedged in a tight space. Have a great weekend! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. the peel and stick tiles look great (when done correctly). We did that in our bathroom few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job as usual Anne. You are amazing.
    Love the look.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally adore the peel and stick groutable tiles. So forgiving and perfect for the diyer. I have them in my kitchen and it's been awesome. Like you said they're so easy to install. They do hide a multitude of sins! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are incredibly talented and do such good work.

    I don't think I know what you do for a living, but you could be a great contractor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new floor really softens the look and brings all your colors in the room together. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your floors look amazing! It's fascinating how one modification can totally change the look of a space. And now I've learned of something new - groutable vinyl stick tiles. I have some vinyl stick tiles in a couple of my rooms, but not the kind you mentioned. Thanks for sharing another fantastic DIY project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your floor! We have the same exact ones (I think, looks like it anyway! ;) ) in our kitchen and foyer. We put them in a few years ago and they've held up wonderfully! (we used the grout with ours though ) Love that they look just like tile but are so much easier!
    Your room looks fantastic!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new floor looks amazing, Anne. It looks almost exactly like the porcelain tile we have in our bathrooms. I don't understand why anyone would want to add grout- that's always the negative aspect of ceramic tiles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To me, the room looks so much brighter with the new flooring. Very nice! I looked at those tiles for the front porch of our last home. Our local HD is very small (a clerk there once told me it's the smallest one in Canada) and they only had one colour so I went with the vinyl plank tiles instead (3 tiles per plank) which are also groutable.

    I keep meaning to ask you if you installed the tub surround yourself or hired out. We have to update both loo's and I would like the acrylic surround for the main bath Also is your tub the original cast iron? If so, how is the finish on it? Ours needs refinishing or something I looked into bath fitters but too pricey $$.
    Thanks!
    Hope you're enjoying your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks fabulous Anne - those tiles are such a great find! We used them in our previous house - without grout. They held up well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had a dime for every peel and stick tile I've laid over the years. It's a quick and inexpensive fix for sure. Your tile looks great, Anne. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you shared your mudroom/laundry room at Every Room In The House, Anne. It's a super great room. I'll be featuring it tomorrow when the new party opens. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!