DIP DYED STEP STOOL



I am in oops paint heaven! When I was in the local Benjamin Moore store, picking out my kitchen cabinet paint for my next big project, I came across this fabulous deep aqua oops paint. I couldn't wait to get home and pick out my target!!!

I settled on my country red step stool.  It no longer fits in the aqua-fied mudroom that I've created.  I really love the dip dye trend.  I've been pinning away all the wonderful projects I've seen and here was the perfect opportunity for me to try it out with my fresh, happy teal-aqua-turquoise-whatever-we're-calling-it-today oops paint.

Here's how the step stool looked yesterday:




Time for an update!  And we won't talk about the fact that this was updated less than a year ago now will we?

Off I went into my workshop to sand all the paint off the lower part of the step stool.  I also lightly sanded the upper part since I had painted this with chalk paint and topped it with wax.  It was really difficult to get the paint out of the joints, so I gave up the ghost and decided it would look like a distressed dip dye job instead.  LOL

I picked the section I wanted to keep free of paint, taped it off and painted the top portion of the step stool.  I love love love this look!!!  Plus this is a handcrafted solid maple step stool and I was happy to see some of the lovely wood grain together with the pretty aqua.   After the paint dried, I wiped mineral oil on the exposed wood and let it seep in.  I haven't buffed it yet because I plan to leave it for 24 hours before I do that but I couldn't wait to share...



and now in it's new home:


I painted the mirror to match.  I can't help myself, I HAVE TO PAINT.

If you want to see my mudroom makeover highlights, click on the photo below (which shows the old step stool look)


Have a happy and creative week!



42 comments:

  1. I love the update. It looks great with the other aqua and wood tones in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Anne. I love the color! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,
    I love the blue. Blue is actually one of my favorite colors right now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish! I can't get enough aqua... :)

      Delete
  4. Really cute Anne, love your redo/makeover projects!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely and the shade of blue/aqua/whatever is a very happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the old paint job and had planned to copy it ... but you did it again ... changing it for the better. It looks great.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the transformation and color! So cute! We would love for you to share with us at Your Designs This Time!
    http://elizabethjoandesigns.com/2014/05/designs-time-no-10/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! & thanks for the invite too!

      Delete
  8. I liked the previous look, but understand why you changed it. It looks like a completely new piece and fits the space perfectly. I've only seen a few "dipped" pieces, guess I've been living under a rock, but what a fun technique. Great job as always Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a whole new step stool! Love the 2-tone wood/paint effect. Stopped by via DIY Show Off! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so cute (definitely not an oops:) Somebody else lost out:)...found at inspire me mondays. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about the step stool....the "dip dyed look" and of course the color!!!....Looks fabulous in the room all coordinated with the mirror....you are a DIY genius!!...Your posts always make me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The maple wood color against the aqua-turquoise-whichmacallit is a really nice combination. I've never seen such a pretty color on the oops shelf, you must have the eagle-oops-eye, LOL. Love it, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anne,
    I love this updated stool project… the two tone dipped idea is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that colour and it a lovely finishing touch to your Mud room. The new floor looks so good too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I love that space so much!!

      xox

      Delete
  15. That color is beautiful and I love how you kept some of it natural. Is there a day that goes by when you're not painting or building something?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The step stool is certainly more modern and seasonal in the new aqua color! Oops paint colors can really be fun and they're cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cool red-do, anne, and that color is amazing! i'm gonna check out pinterest for dip-dying--it's new to me! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. I love it!! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  19. so pretty. I really like the 3/4 color on it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is bizarre - I just painted something in the garden in the same color - and mentioned how I love it against the wood fence !
    I'm doing chairs ( outdoor ) in it also - your bench is just gorgeous - I would never have thought of such a cool idea - brilliant Anne !!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so coincidental - I just painted something in the garden in the same color - and mentioned how I love it against the wood fence !
    I'm doing chairs ( outdoor ) in it also - your bench is just gorgeous - I would never have thought of such a cool idea - brilliant Anne !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your stool looks great Anne!! Pinned, it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE IT! You have to love oops paints. Some of my favorite things in my house are painted using oops paints! (I think I even have that colour as an oops paint too!) Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathryn! and for the pinning too!

      Delete
  24. Oh yes, much better! I totally get the whole..."just updated last year"...or even last week!! ;) lol Nothing is safe around here...I'm thinking at your house too! lol
    Have a great weekend Anne!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the transformation, Anne. The dip dye look works perfectly with this stool. Your mud room looks so good, and I love the pop of aqua in the stool and mirror. Nice. :) ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. The blues match perfectly with your paintings, Anne.
    What an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really cute, Anne! Thank you bunches for linking up and partying with us!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute! I love the new fresh colour with the dip dyed legs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks great! That teal colour is so fresh and lovely. I could think of a few places I'd stash it at my place

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!