Ikea Hack Custom Kitchen Cabinet

A blind corner in my kitchen is now filled with a functional custom kitchen cabinet thanks to Ikea products!


Here's what I picked up from Ikea:


and here's how I put it all together

a little bit closer now...



The blind corner that I was dealing with was going to be filled with spacers as the opening is only 8 inches wide on one side of the L shape and 3 1/2 inches wide on the other side.  I got the idea to put a 15 inch base cabinet into the space and then to use filler pieces to create something a little more original.

I picked up a piece of pine for the bottom of the cabinet and cut it to the shape I wanted. Since the cabinet was going to be open, I decided to simulate the butcher block look in the "floor" of the cabinet. Then I added a piece of 1x2 trim underneath the pine on the 3 1/2" side to make it look like the cabinet was built to that shape.  I put a 1x4 backer piece of trim to hide the remainder of the hole from view.

I installed a Fintorp rail and hooks on the one side of the cabinet to hang my pots and measuring cups.  A small shelf holds a Dutch oven and some of the pot lids.  The final touch was a Rationell cookie sheet divider to hold up trays and cookie sheets.  It's a little hard to see but it's to the right of the cabinet.


oh and it's easy to get the rail level because you have those lovely evenly spaced holes all along the side of the cabinet to screw the holders into!



And another Kitchen Overhaul project is done!  Onto the next one...

If you want to see some of the other Ikea hacks I've done, click on the photo:





Have a great weekend!



35 comments:

  1. You are just a genius Anne! I'm starting my search for a "fixer upper" house and you have been a great inspiration to me! It just goes to show that a woman can handle almost anything a man can handle all by herself! I'm confident that I can take an old, dated house and make it a beautiful home for myself... even though most everyone around me seems to think I have a screw loose! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squeezing storage out of that small space, Anne, very well done! And I love your faux butcher block cabinet "flooring". It has got to feel so good to know you have one more place to store kitchen necessities away that you weren't able to make use of before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, Anne! You nailed it. Blind corners are a kitchen nightmare and you managed to create not only a functional space, but a really cute feature. Well done, my friend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are good girl...what a brilliant idea!! Love the way it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Anne! You've given me so much inspiration in this wee spot here. Seriously. We are getting ready to revamp our pantry and I LOVE your ideas in this corner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Anne! The wood bottom is perfect for there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use a corner! I love the idea of using a rail in that space... I might even use the idea, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne I love your white kitchen and all the unique touches everywhere!!!! super idea for the corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Great idea. I love making things work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great hack once again Anne !
    I'm looking at your wood counter tops and wondering if I made the right choice - they look beautiful - so warm !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great to be able to use every bit of space in a kitchen! I love how your pots are hanging on hooks, so much more convenient than stacked up, even in the IKEA drawers! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well… you have done it again! Made a huge improvement to an already adorable space using your brain and brawn!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing... once again! Anne, you are so gifted with all the projects you tackle, and one of my favorites is always space-saving ideas! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great use of "wasted" space! We had the same sort of cupboard, but the back of it was not against the wall. We decided to fit a dishwasher in there with the door opening on the "back" of the cupboard (which is beside the kitchen table). It works great and I hated that cupboard because everything got lost way back in there. Your kitchen looks better and better Anne! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of putting the hanging rail in there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done. What a great use of space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne,
    This is genius! What a great use of that small space. Every girls dream to have those pots and pans organized in a space and easy to get too. Great job my friend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a genius idea! I love Ikea so so much

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mind works in amazing ways Anne! What a great way to put a not-so-useful space to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When you're done with your kitchen will you please come and deal with mine? Please? You can bring your cat. (I mean, my husband is deathly allergic but he can't hack an IKEA cabinet the way you can so he'll just have to deal...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful use of space! Nothing wasted one bit. I love the final look as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. And there you go again with genius self!! WOW, you are awesome Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this Anne! The possibilities with IKEA are endless! It must be so great to have a useful purpose for the blind corner and to have it all so neatly stored away! I`ll definitely be checking your other IKEA hacks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO HANDY! way to make awesome use of your space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie - it has proved to be even more handy than I thought it would be!

      Delete
  25. Very cool. I love IKEA hacks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it, what a great way to use the space!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the arrangement in your kitchen cabinets !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great use of that space Anne! And your counter tops look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Genius is your middle name!!!...great, great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Way to use all your space! Im totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!