DIY Shutter from Bi-Fold Door

I scored a louvered bi-fold closet door at the dump a few weeks back.  I pulled up to the re-use buildings (where people can leave stuff that's still good for others to pick up) and almost crowed when I saw the wood bi-fold door in there.  I leapt out of my car only to find someone already had their hands on it... Crap!  The girl who was holding it laughed when she saw me jump out of my car and said "take it if you want it, I've got enough projects on the go.  I know that look in your eye". LOL - a fellow DIY'er!   Yay for me!!!

I knew I was going to make shutters from these panels but the panels were too narrow for the pass through window I had in mind, so I dreamed up a way to make them wider.  Luckily, there was a wood joint in between a top and bottom louvered panel so it was super easy to cut it down length-wise.





I unhinged the panels and measured one of the sides, cutting it down to the size of the opening's height less half an inch.  Then I measured the width of the opening, decided what size of dimensional lumber I could use and got the building supply centre to plane the wood down to the depth I needed and rip it down to the width I needed.  It cost me $5 for the special cuts and planing but it was exactly what I needed to make this project work.

I used PL Construction Glue and my nail gun to hold the side pieces in place.  Once the glue dried, I sanded and painted the panel and hung it with T-hinges.  You can see where the joints are in the photo below.  Overall this was pretty simple to do.







And from the other side of the wall:



You may ask why I bothered doing this at all.  Well, I keep the cats shut up in the laundry room overnight because they won't stop bothering me ALL.NIGHT.LONG.  This way I get to allow the air to circulate as well as keep the cats at bay.  Win-win!   If you'd like to see my beautiful new laundry room, click on this photo:



One more Kitchen Overhaul project out of the way.  Holy moly this easy kitchen update of mine has taken on a life of its own.

Have a great week!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!




Instagram

30 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,
    I sure am glad you were able to get that bi-fold door. I love what you did with it. I think it looks decorative and it's functional. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really nice on top of allowing the air to circulate and keeping the cats from jumping in the window! If you're patient you'll see that as they grow old, cats tend to sleep while you sleep... But it took mine years to understand my pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect solution!!! And it looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always amaze me! You do the neatest projects, and they all turn out well! Great DIYer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going great-guns on that kitchen girl! Now, I would have taken that girl at the dump to lunch and made her my new best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always come up with perfect solutions to problems. This is functional ,but decorative. Thank you Anne as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! What a sweet thing to say!

      Delete
  7. What a great gal to let you take those. Or was she just afraid of you with that crazy look in your eyes??? LOL Your creativity always amazes me, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fabulous! What a great solution. I just rescued 3 sets of bi-fold doors from the dump. I have a project in mind for them, but they aren't wide enough. This is great inspiration for me. Thanks Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great fix Anne. Looks perfect there and glad it solves your cat problem.
    You just keep on expiring all of us and that is good.
    Blessings,
    Audrye Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! And I love that you re-purposed something that was no longer needed. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have the greatest ideas and definitely the "re-purposing" queen....love, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done it again! I know you said it was simple, but it sure sounds pretty complex to me. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic repurpose Anne! Love how it turned out… is there anything you can't do?!?

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! another mans junk is another mans treasure eh

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so clever Anne and it looks great - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever, smart and wonderful! You rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow are you ever handy!!! What a perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very, very cool! You always amaze me with your creativity AND your use of the tools! Yes, another Anne project rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so clever Anne! What a perfect solution - made even better because it's a 'repurpose'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!