I knew I was going to make shutters from these panels but the panels were too narrow for the pass through window I had in mind, so I dreamed up a way to make them wider. Luckily, there was a wood joint in between a top and bottom louvered panel so it was super easy to cut it down length-wise.
I unhinged the panels and measured one of the sides, cutting it down to the size of the opening's height less half an inch. Then I measured the width of the opening, decided what size of dimensional lumber I could use and got the building supply centre to plane the wood down to the depth I needed and rip it down to the width I needed. It cost me $5 for the special cuts and planing but it was exactly what I needed to make this project work.
I used PL Construction Glue and my nail gun to hold the side pieces in place. Once the glue dried, I sanded and painted the panel and hung it with T-hinges. You can see where the joints are in the photo below. Overall this was pretty simple to do.
And from the other side of the wall:
You may ask why I bothered doing this at all. Well, I keep the cats shut up in the laundry room overnight because they won't stop bothering me ALL.NIGHT.LONG. This way I get to allow the air to circulate as well as keep the cats at bay. Win-win! If you'd like to see my beautiful new laundry room, click on this photo:
One more Kitchen Overhaul project out of the way. Holy moly this easy kitchen update of mine has taken on a life of its own.
Have a great week!
With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!