Kitchen Overhaul Part IV - THE REVEAL

No, I'm not finished... is anybody ever finished?? lol I still have two walls & the ceiling to paint and the floor to refinish BUT pretty much everything else is done!


Welcome to my quest to create a light, bright farmhouse kitchen from a room with no windows, 4 doorways, un-salvageable original cabinets and a miserable 3' of counter space.  The only thing going for the space was the oak floors.

I used furniture pieces to add storage before the kitchen reno began and then painted them to fit in with the new kitchen since I loved the vintage look the pieces gave to the space.


Just to recap, here is the list of everything that I did to get my kitchen from day 1 (move-in day) to day 1461 (4 years to the day after I began working on this kitchen):

1 - New stock kitchen cabinets & laminate counters (phase 1)
2 - New stove
3 - New layout (2 tries to get it right!!)
4 - New electrical
5 - Wall paint (3 tries to find the right colour)
6 - Sealed up 2 doorways
7 - New sink & faucet
8 - Relocated the dishwasher
9 - Knocked holes in walls to allow light from other rooms
10 - Bought 2 extra kitchen cabinets for the latest layout & customized them
11 - Installed backsplash
12 - Painted cabinets white
13 - Upgraded the lighting (only one center fixture in the whole room when I moved in!)
14 - Installed shelves
15 - Built a pantry
16 - Added a sideboard for extra storage
17 - Installed a French door between kitchen & laundry room
18 - Baseboards, trim, and decorative brackets
19 - Painted fridge
20 - Ripped out the laminate counters from Step 1 & installed butcher block counters

Whew!  You know the old saying about not remodeling until you've lived in the space?  Well this is proof positive that the adage is true.  My second attempt at creating a functional layout was much more successful and now that daylight can reach the kitchen, it feels much happier as well.



Here is the before & after - the Day 1 before, that is.  Dark, depressing and virtually no storage.


After - light & bright with loads of storage space and a better, functional layout.





I bought new stock cabinets from Home Depot when I first moved in.  I decided on a galley plan because it was the easiest & least expensive layout and it gave me a reasonable amount of cabinetry and counter space.  I chose a cabinet colour called Cider and when I put the cabinets together, it seemed like every piece had come from a different dye lot...

When I stumbled on a photo of a layout that would work with my existing cabinets last November, I was so excited it spurred me on!!  It was a lot of work to paint and reconfigure the cabinets, but so worth it. Plus I got the butcher block counters that I have always wanted.  I gained an additional 6' of counter space and a layout that I love. I'm still considering swapping the fridge & stove positions, but for now I'm going to live with it as is.

The Ikea buffet and the primitive pantry cabinet that I built myself add loads more storage space so they stayed and got makeovers.  I wanted my kitchen to look like an old farmhouse kitchen and these two pieces really work into that style.


The pass-through allows a ton of light from the newly installed laundry room window and the two cut-outs above the sink give me a view of the back yard through the other laundry window.


 I painted the fridge sides with the cabinet paint to cover the black that sucked up a lot of light.  A shelf on the chimney bump-out beside the stove (under the pot rack) adds a little extra space for setting things down.  I added a wood skirt and glued a cup pull handle to it to give it a more substantial look.  That piece of butcher block was from the sink cut-out.  The pot rack hung on the wall keeps the pots and utensils I use the most right at hand next to the stove.




I bought two pieces of a faux-tin tile backsplash from Home Depot and painted it white. I did this project during the winter, before I decided on the bead-board, but I really like the way this turned out so I'm keeping it this way.



I began sanding the floor in the far corner and then the temperature here soared - it was just too hot to do that kind of work!


It's so hot, Max has been sleeping on the floor lots.  Or should I say collapsing...


My new sign is a rough cut chunk of solid maple that I stained with Minwax Provincial, hand wrote the lettering with a big Sharpie and then distressed.  I love the look of it with all the white cupboards and walls. Right below the sign is a new stock cabinet customized with a piece of bead-board and trim.



This new cubby in the photo below is perfect for my extra-large toaster oven. It's nicely tucked out of the way but accessible too.  An under-cabinet light gives me exactly the right amount of task lighting when I'm using the oven.


I customized a small Ikea cabinet to suit the blind corner I had to deal with - there wasn't enough space for a stock blind cabinet.  I've been using this cabinet for a month now and find the hook rack for the pots very handy.


                     


The bead-board backsplash fits in well with the look I want.  I used pine on the sills in the window cutouts above the sink and left them unpainted to echo the wood counters.  The sills are wrapped over the wall to look like an old fashioned window sill.


I was hoping to get the floor refinished for this post, but no such luck. This heat wave is dragging on.  Even so, I'm thrilled with my new farmhouse kitchen.  From start to finish, this kitchen has cost me $4800 including the new stove, electrical, all cabinets, counters, paint, backsplashes, new sink & faucet, lighting, drywall and trim.  I think that is a pretty good price for a new kitchen.  Grunt labour was free ;)

Here's the beautiful kitchen that inspired my remodel:


Andre Rothblatt, Architect Kitchen 3


and my kitchen:




Hope you enjoyed the tour!  If you want more details on any of the projects, click on the photos below.

Cheers!

           
      
        

And the lead up posts to the grand finale:




With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

70 comments:

  1. AMAZING transformation Anne!! Your kitchen turned out beautiful...love how light and bright it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEECK...you are amazing...the kitchen is amazing!!....great job as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't BELIEVE you did all this yourself! WoW! You go, girl!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what I like about your kitchen? EVERYTHING! I could move in tomorrow and feel right at home! What an amazing transformation. You have a real flair for choosing pieces in your decor that compliment your rooms. Love it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! What a nice thing to say! xox

      Delete
  5. Wow, Anne. I'm so impressed with you skills and your kitchen looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you said you were re-working the layout, but I had no idea you were actually changing this much. I'm speechless that you did this all yourself and in so little time. Your kitchen looks light, bright and amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! What an amazing transformation for so little money! You are just amazing! Your kitchen totally has a farmhouse look and is very efficient. And it's so bright yet homey at the same time! I couldn't help but notice that your Max is no longer a kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done! You did an amazing job and you achieved that farmhouse look - the new layout makes your kitchen feel more spacious. Again, great job! Just a note...I have the identical pasta can that is sitting in your blind cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lesa! That's so funny, I've had that Pasta tin for - oh 30 years maybe?? I got it from Regal Catalog :)

      Thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  9. Fabulous job Anne! There are so many great ideas packed into your Kitchen. I'm loving the white paint and butcher block counter tops. It definitely has the farmhouse feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne you blow me away! Really, you do. Your kitchen looks so awesome and I you worked so hard to get it there. It paid off girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What can I say? I absolutely love everything you've done in your space. Your kitchen is amazing and you can't beat the price you invested. Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome kitchen, and you did it all by yourself....you rule!!! Relax now and enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I knew how to relax!!! lol

      Delete
  13. Oh Anne--what a remarkable job you did on this! The paint color is so inviting! I love checking out all your projects...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute and great job. I found this through Hometalk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anne, it's simply breathtaking! The difference in the amount of light in the room is amazing. And it looks so much like that inspiration picture you sent me in November! I'm so happy you went with a beadboard backsplash... I think I'm heading that way for my kitchen as well... We're having the same kind of weather here and so it stopped my projects somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what difference! All your hard work and the endless decisions to make....I remember those days! Great kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Anne, it looks amazing... you are a STUD! :o) I wish you lived close so when I get my fixer upper you could help me!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Now" is definitely better! Anne, I'm always amazed at all the DIY stuff you take on and it's usually not small stuff! You are an awesome inspiration and women like you make me eye that new table saw Sam just got a little closer! Your kitchen is fabulous and sure shows off all of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anne, what a great job as always. I am so happy you gave a recap since I have been offline for a bit. Max cracks me up.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mighty Anne does it again. Tackles a kitchen and comes up victorious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've done such a beautiful job Anne. I appreciate all your pictures and tutorials they are so helpful. Can't wait to see what is next.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Faboosh! Love the whole thing. You did a great job and woot woot for doing it with such a reasonable budget!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a lighter and brighter space! and such a cute kitty!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wowee-wow-WOW! Love, love, love it, Anne. You thought of so many neat things. Love the shutter for the pass through. Great idea. I'm so glad I've followed you on your DIY journey. You are my inspiration, dear friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic makeover Anne. You must be so proud of all your hard work making your kitchen into your dream space. I had to laugh at your comment about how you don't know how to relax. My husband says the same thing about me. Hey, it's how we girls get things done! Right?
    Have a great week. It's been scorching hot in southern Alberta too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, Anne! I am so thrilled for you! You really turned your design dream into a perfectly darling and super functional kitchen. I have soaked up each and every one of your brilliant details and fabulous ideas. It looks like you have every area set up just right for what you do there. So efficient. But what I also really love are all the darling personal design touches that make your kitchen your own. What an amazing job! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had to look through the pictures a couple of times to truly appreciate what you have accomplished. There is so much more storage now! It all looks terrific, but I have to say my favourite view is the wall with the long open shelf. I just love how you have styled this area. Bravo Anne! What a great kitchen you have created for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Anne your kitchen is amazing! It turned out beautifully, so bright, functional and love all of details you added.

    ReplyDelete
  29. an artist lives here! xoxo Great work, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You did a fabulous job ~ Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anne it gorgeous! Wow -- you've done so much work in there. Love it all but the countertops and backsplash are my favorite! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow...looks stunning! such a difference. I absolutely love a white kitchen with butcher block countertops.

    Deb
    @Seeking Lavender Lane

    ReplyDelete
  33. So much hard work and planning, but it has all paid off. The kitchen looks fabulous!! I agree, there is no chance to ever finish a project completely. Enjoy your weekend! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just recently found your blog (can't remember how) and I have to say this is the sweetest kitchen I've seen in a long time. And I follow a LOT of blogs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! Your farmhouse kitchen looks amazing...you did such a GREAT job! Hope you'll hop over and share at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Anne - this turned out simply amazing - LOVE everything you did !
    That pass through was genius !
    Incredible before and after ♥
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, Anne, this is such an amazing transformation! It is so nice and light now and looks much for spacious!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really like the eclectic style that is all tied together through simple things like color and drawer/cabinet pulls. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You did such a great job Anne. What a difference between the before and after. It looks so light and airy now. Absolutely amazing! You should be very proud of all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I kept on going up and down witnessing all the changes you made, and wow, what a difference! I love your new kitchen! So bright and light, you did such a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Seriously the best Anne. I love love you new kitchen reveal. What a big difference your style and creativity made in this room. I know I keep saying this but you need to go on a DIY show. You have so much talent. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a cute kitchen Anne! So many interesting details! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anne, Your kitchen looks amazing! And, YOU are amazing! You did such a great job with everything and it has totally paid off. Your kitchen is pretty, cozy, and inviting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a gorgeous kitchen! Your makeover is great! Thanks so much for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party! Love having you!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh, Anne, you did a fabulous job on your kitchen!! I love the pass through windows you added, your open shelves, and just basically everything you did. What a great job!! You're amazing!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anne, it's so great that you were able to take a dark and not-very-functional kitchen and turn it into a functional space that you love :-) You had so many great ideas for maximizing every little square inch. I had to look a few times before I believed that those aren't actually windows above the sink! It may have taken you four years, but you did it and you should be proud of yourself and your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. (I'm behind on my blog reading) You made an amazing transformation there, you should be very pleased with yourself... what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow, such an amazing job, Anne! You need your own t.v. show. Everything is so beautiful and functions so well. Fabulous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  49. Newest follower, such a fantastic job on your wonderful kitchen, best redo!

    ReplyDelete
  50. That looks great Anne. There looks to be a spot for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anne, It looks so beautiful! Great Job!! Love absolutely everything! Have a relaxing weekend in your new kitchen!!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  52. Absolutely amazing! You are so lucky to be able to do all these things. Lovely job!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anne your kitchen turned out great! Well worth the struggle I think.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Simply beautiful. I believe my mouth was hanging open the entire read.

    XO
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, yesterday I painted a milk can. We are "so much alike"!!! Bwahahaha!

      Delete
  55. Sooo worth all of the blood sweat and tears! The "after" is a night and day difference from the "before" - love the warm, farmhouse look that you ended up with (you're a girl after my own heart :) Thanks for linking up to Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I'm in love! You did an amazing job! Gotta hand it to you girl- your rocked this redo! Going for a farmhouse look in my kitchen in the new house! Lots of ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Amazing job, Anne! I love the cabinets and the counters... and of course the Boulangerie sign. :) Stopping by from the #bestofDIY party and pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anne, thanks for sharing your fabulous kitchen at September's Every Room In The House Party. It was the most viewed link up. :) Of course, you'll be featured when the October party opens on Wednesday. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  59. Revisiting this post from your anniversary blog. Are you still considering swapping the stove-fridge arrangement? That would be a tough call for me as I love the kitchen as is but in my mind's eye trying to envision the switch, it seems the stove being moved would make for better flow. No matter- I don't live there. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you on the better flow. My issue is that my electrician friend who does this work for me for free is super super busy and so I live with it as is. Someday I'll switch it :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!