Farmhouse Cottage Tour 2014

Welcome to Ashcroft Cottage!  My house has changed so much in 2014.  I've finally found my style and embraced country cottage/farmhouse in a big way.   I even named my house (I have an enormous 100 year old green ash in my front yard).  Come on in and have a look.




I started off 2014 with a great find - a solid wood hutch for only $100!  That piece, and the makeover I gave it, inspired a whole new look for my dining room.





And I found the chandelier I wanted  for the bedroom but it needed some help to fit in.  A little spray paint to change it from black to antique white and VOILA - the perfect match.


Another lucky find was a Rachel Ashwell quilt for $25.  That inspired a guest room makeover:



My laundry room floor got an updated look when I painted the well worn wood floor with white porch floor paint.


What I didn't share is that a few weeks ago, I went back and repainted the floor and the counter with the BM Simply White paint I had used on my kitchen cabinets.  The colour is closer to the wall colour and looks much nicer.  I love the painted countertop too.  It was dark wood before & just didn't work in the space.  See that mirror on the window sill?  I can position that mirror during sunny days to reflect the sun onto the ceiling in my kitchen and it lights up that entire room as though I have a sky light. It's AMAZING how well it works.

The curtain hides the cat beds and supplies - and boy do those cats love being behind that curtain!  In the mudroom section of my laundry I laid a new peel&stick tile floor over the ugly, beat-up, fake wood laminate floor.  

 These were the final touches on my laundry room makeover!




I moved everything around in my home office and created a much better layout and a more cohesive design so that I could breathe in the space...


And then I started making over all the furniture in the room.  That cabinet in the photo above now looks like this:



And then I did a makeover of the black table on the opposite side of the room:



I tackled the main bathroom design AGAIN.  I had to get rid of either the floor or the bathtub tile in a cost effective manner - so I painted the vinyl floor and what a difference it made!



As soon as I could get outdoors again I gave myself a privacy fence and installed an old door as the gate.


I'll tackle the landscaping next year...

Next up - kitchen overhaul! This was the culmination of 4 years of work.  I had torn out the ugly original kitchen the moment I moved in, but I goofed with my choices of layout and cabinet/counter colours.  This year I painted my cabinets and bought new butcherblock counters from Ikea. 

I reconfigured the cabinets into an L-shape that suits me better than the galley kitchen I put together when I first moved in. I added two cabinets and customized them for the space. Now the kitchen works so much better for me and it's brighter too because I ripped another hole in a wall to let in light from the new laundry room window.  Words can't express how much I dislike dark rooms!
See how my stainless steel dishwasher now looks more like my cabinets?  I cut a piece of thin wood veneer to the size of the door and slapped it on with CommandStrips!  Easy peasy, changeable, can-do-whatever-you-want-to-it and you're not messing with the appliance at all.  Comes off easily!  


 Another change to the kitchen was my pie safe knock-off.  I added pie safe panels to the bottom door of  my home-made pantry cabinet and it took on a more primitive vintage look.



I installed a shutter made from an old bi-fold door on the new kitchen pass-through window.


The living room was the only room untouched this year, here's a little peek:


I had 101 things to do to the house that were time-consuming - like adding insulation and vapour barrier to the crawlspace, laying patio stones, replacing the skirting boards on the old part of the house, replacing all the weather-stripping on the windows and doors and cleaning all gutters, so I decided to hire a contractor to build the new front landing I had planned for the house. 

The contractor did a fabulous job, but I want to add some personal touches and some paint once the pressure treated wood dries out a bit so stay tuned for those updates.  




I hope you enjoyed the tour!

For more details on the projects shown here, click on the images:

   
      

   
       
         






Cheers!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!
  • Remodeling and Home Design
    Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:

46 comments:

  1. You must be so proud of your home and all you've accomplished. It's just so charming. I love the colors and the flow from room to room. What a year you've had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be very proud of the work you have done on your house…it is looking so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have a lovely, lovely home!!! And its tailored to all your needs.........love the use of the mirror on the window ledge!! You've worked so hard and turned your home into a gem! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chloe! I'm so happy to have made so many friends like you during my renovations, too. xox

      Delete
  4. Anne your home is so beautiful! You have worked so hard on all of this. It's such a joy to see your transformation at whatever stage. You inspire me and make me smile and oh-the-joy to be creating along side you. Hey, at least we are on the same continent! Me? Oh I'm painting a table today. See. We are so much alike!!! hehehe

    XO
    Love you big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I enjoyed that tour, if only I could come snoop in person...lol..beautiful home Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been so busy, it was good to see all your transformations again. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home makes me happy. It's so pretty, and you've done such a great job on everything. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment Kathy! I can't think of anything I'd rather hear than that my home makes someone happy!

      xox

      Delete
  8. Awesome tour! You have great projects at every turn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have did a wonderful job on your home and I love your kitchen and laundry room...very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne everything is wonderful. I've been on the journey with you and learned so much. But...I missed the tutorial on painting the vinyl floor. Is there someplace I can find the info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! It's not much of a tutorial, but I describe the steps I took in this post http://designdreamsbyanne.blogspot.ca/2014/04/cottage-bathroom-home-run.html

      Delete
  11. You have accomplished so much, and you must be so proud. What's next? (not that there MUST be a next, mind you!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks beautiful Anne, I never get tired of looking at your rooms and projects! I've been painting and working on my new kitchen open cupboard, I hope to be able to blog about that tonight!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog, and your home! I'm in awe of everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say! Thank you Gerry!
      xox

      Delete
  14. anne i just love your home it is so warm and inviting,,i could just sit down over a cup of coffee and yak the morning away xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I would love to have you visit! Thank you so much for the lovely compliment!

      Delete
  15. I love your new focus. Everything looks wonderful and welcoming. I especially love the front porch! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did an amazing job this year in your house. My favourite transformation ever is the kitchen because it looks so light and airy now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne you've shared so many handy ideas, like the cat curtain, the mirror trick and the pot and pan storage. I will be implementing them here, for sure. You have really captured the beauty of the vintage cottage look. I can't belive how much you've accomplished this year, brava girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your house looks great, Anne! You have worked so hard on it, and now it's paid off because it looks so charming. The picture in your living room caught my eye with the splashes of red, I love it. Your guest room is so cozy with the pinks and whites. And I can't believe you got that wood hutch for only $100, it is lovely. The blue dishes really add a little something special to it. I really like the grey color on the outside of your home too.

    I am all moved into our new home and settling in and feeling very grateful. Thanks for giving us a tour of your wonderful home, Anne. I enjoyed it very much.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have really put in a lot of time and love into your home. Pat yourself on the back for all that you have done! Life is LOVERLY when we are doing what we love! ((HUGS)) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. So nice to meet you Anne.. I am here via Sarah's blog...
    What a beautiful job you have done with your home... So very warm and cozy..
    Your hard work has really paid off.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to meet you too Penny! Thank you for visiting and for your sweet comment!
      xox

      Delete
  21. Anne, you've created such a lovely home, full of personality and charm! Loved the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness.....I just love it! Eclectic, charming, quaint...fun!! My kinda house! :)
    Oh...and the entry is so very inviting. Great tour..and home Anne!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's been so cool to watch the transformation of your home, Anne. I often show my husband what you've accomplished both with your home and with your art, and he thinks you're an "amazing woman". I do, too. Hugs, my friend. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty! I love that you have a real door as the gate in your fence! And the house itself is gorgeous. I love all the furniture and pretty details. -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have a beautiful home. You have decorated it so well. I love your deck. It looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cyndee! and thank you for visiting too!

      Delete
  26. You have a lovely home, Anne. I adore your laundry room! There is so much space and light! And I am totally jealous of your $100 hutch. Such a great find! Jamie @ anderson + grant

    ReplyDelete
  27. So beautiful, Anne. Looks like a designer home from a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes, ma'am, I did enjoy the tour! I'm not sure how long I've been following your blog, but I love seeing your space be transformed. I love how you are not afraid to tackle projects and sometimes retackle them so that you get the look/style/functionality that you want. Love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just lovely Anne, your country cottage farmhouse looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always love taking a tour of the projects you've tackled, and this tour was definitely grandiose! You have done an amazing job with all your makeovers and your home is definitely a show-stopper as a result. I still love your hutch makeover - that distressed gray is so fab! I laughed when I got to your chandie, because I picked up a white one a second-hand salvage store and painted it black - LOL! Great post. Loved all of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! You should be so proud! And I'm totally inspired. Love the shabby chic look. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's beautiful! What a great job you did. I love all the little details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful Anne! You must love coming home at the end of the day! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your home is so adorable. I absolutley LOVE the door you use on your fence! I'm thinking that might be a good idea for ours also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!