A CUTER RECYCLE BIN

I found an old and large wire freezer basket in a dumpster a few weeks ago and, of course, dragged it home to sit in my shed along with all the other miscellaneous bits and pieces I keep bringing home with me.









I couldn't decide what to do with it until I saw a cute wire basket with wood handles on Pinterest.  I had some short wood pieces from an old wine rack that I had to destroy just to get it out of my crawlspace (the hatch was too small for it to fit through).  It looked like this only much bigger.



I spray painted the basket with a satin black paint and I stained the pieces of wood with Minwax Provincial Stain.  Then I cut a groove into the bottom part of the wood so that the pieces would fit over the wire handle.  I used my circular saw to cut the groove but a router would have been a much better choice!   Once the wood was in place, I ran a bead of glue across the bottom of the groove (with my hot glue gun) to hold it in place.



Since this basket is so large, I decided to use it as my recycle bin. Much nicer than those blue thingys.






Have a great day!





With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



Instagram


21 comments:

  1. so lovely!!! i love this basket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and it's a stylish way to have a recycling bin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you found the basket in a dumpster. And of course, you had the wood to use for handles.

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anne ... I love vintage wire baskets. There are so many uses for them. I love how you are using yours. I also enjoyed your "Room Tours" ... such a charming little cottage. Weekend Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice…looks some what like a freezer basket to start with…will have to have a look around for some and see if they would work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice makeover, and definitely MUCH prettier than a blue box. If you figure out a way to make green bins look better, let me know! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding the wooden handles and the chalkboard label makes that wire bin so much more interesting. Those wire bins are great for recyclables. Great find and I love what you did, Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're just a genius! Love the wood handles you added and you sound just like me... dragging home things that may serve some purpose at some point in time and keeping every little scrap of wood! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this!!! I want one for my cinnamon scented pine cones!!! Our blue thingy, fortunately is hidden on the back step. I even close my eyes when I throw stuff into it. ;) Ugly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out great! Awesome job! Thanks for sharing! Found you on the I should be mopping the floor link up =) Kyla @ http://houseofhipsters.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyla! I'm so glad you dropped in!

      Delete
  11. Super cute!! Great idea for adding that little chalkboard...thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, and since I have one of these baskets downstairs I now know how to dress her up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes that is the cutest recycle bin I've ever seen...LOL.....LUV IT

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so going to have to use your idea here! I purchased a white freezer basket from an estate sale last summer and have never done anything with it. I LOVE the little wood handles you added. It makes the whole dumpster find look expensive! Thanks for sharing some amazing projects this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!