1970s Chandelier for the Guest Room



I'm always on the lookout for things I can upcycle and use to decorate my home.  Last fall I found a 1970s wood and antique brass chandelier at the dump.  It was missing the screws and glass shades but I liked the overall look of it so I dragged it home for my guest bedroom.



A few coats of white spray paint breathed new life into this light fixture.  Of course I was so excited to see it painted I forgot the obligatory before shot.   Sigh.   It looked a little like this one (see below) only the wood is oak and was a lighter stain colour.






This is the only true glimpse of the before that you get.  This is antique brass part that I hung in a tree because I read on a blog that if you wanted to spray paint a chandelier it was best to hang it up.  Since I only use spray paint outdoors, the only thing handy was a tree. Why I even took this shot is beyond me... I must have realized too late that I forgot my before shot!


This is the paint I used.  I love flat paint and this white is perfect in a flat finish.



Here is my chandelier.  I protected the tree from the spray paint by wrapping it with plastic.


I sanded some of the paint off the wood to give it a shabby look and I wanted to add some sparkle.   I found crystal prisms at  D Lawless Hardware, see them HERE.  I love this online store, they offer the coolest things and at such a great price you can't resist!



The prisms look like this

I took them apart so that I had the round crystal with the top wire loop only and the prism with a wire loop of its own.  I used needle nose pliers.  The wire is very pliable and easy to work with.


 

I used these cute Christmas hangers for the prisms because the lampshade holders were too deep to allow the prisms to dangle freely.  I used the round crystals to cover the hole.  Then I wrapped the wire and chain with a wide satin ribbon that came with the Rachel Ashwell quilt I have on the bed.






and guess who muscled in on the action when I wasn't looking.




I would have liked to find some pretty cut glass shades to put over the light bulbs but so far I haven't found anything I like.  Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with this new look and it sure beats that ugly, cheap and very dim boob light that used to be here.



One more thing done!


Disclaimer:  I have partnered with D Lawless Hardware to demonstrate some of their products. Although I received free merchandise in exchange my review, the opinions stated are entirely my own.


37 comments:

  1. Oh my word, did you save yet another trash and made it into an amazing treasure? That chandy is AWESOME - you did a great job, oh my goodness.

    I will keep my peepers out for covers for you, I see things like that when I am treasure hunting myself so will let you know if I do.

    Well done, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Re Love of this chandelier. You trash to treasure!!! It looks soooo pretty in your guest room.
    Great job Anne.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the same chandelier Anne?....Awesome transformation....and you are so clever using those ornament hooks!...I have lots of those and maybe I need to drag them out ... I need to check out D. Lawless for prisms too....have only concentrated on the hardware....The chandy is beautiful....you amaze me all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your new chandelier came out and it looks great in your room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic! I love how you used the fancy Christmas ornament hangers! So ingenious. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did with the prisms...it makes a total difference! This turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so thoughtful of you to add this charming chandy to my room, Anne. I will enjoy staying here when I come to visit. ROFL. Seriously, you have great vision for restyling outdated items. I marvel at how you had the foresight to take the prism apart and use the round crystal to cover up the hole. Brilliant! Love it, my friend. xxx ~ Nancy P.S. I check out D Lawless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a junk yard save, Anne! It's amazing what some spray paint can do for a light fixture. I love it, and it looks so cute in your sweet guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaaay, out with the boob lights!!!! I love your chandelier Anne, can't believe you found it at the dump!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne - you did a great job on this chandelier! It looks so sweet in that room.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love painted chandeliers and yours is absolutely perfect with its glass pendant. I want on in my bedroom (I already have the cat on the bed, so that's a start)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great. I am looking for one for my daughter's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! There are a whole lotta chandeliers out there that people chuck because they don't think to paint them. Hope you find the perfect one soon!

      Delete
  13. I love the chandelier! It's so pretty in it's simplicity. Less is more and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and I agree - less IS more!

      Delete
  14. Very creative with the way you attached the crystals. It looks beautiful, Anne xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative with the way you attached the crystals. It looks beautiful, Anne xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. BOOB Lights! That's what we called them too. Especially when there were two in a room! LOL Like minds Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very clever to have used the Christmas wire hangers for the glass prisms. The glass adds a really nice element to this makeover.
    P.S. I like your bedding. If I was the cat, I'd be cuddled up there all day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty Anne! Smart idea to use Christmas wire hangers. So you have a feline photo bomber too huh!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this makeover. I love those Christmas hangers.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  20. As usual, a clever redo from you.

    I would love a chandy, but I don't really have anywhere that one would work. I am thinking that maybe my garden house could use one, but there is a tin roof so I will have to see it I can put one in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a super cute guest room and it comes with a cat for snuggling???? Gorgeous DIY

    ReplyDelete
  22. How pretty Anne! I love that you reconfigured the crystals too. Looks perfect in your bedroom with it's cute pink and white spread.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea. It turned out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks fabulous Anne. I have an old black one that perhaps I should paint. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great upcycle. I took a wood and ugly brass $1 garage sale chandelier and remade it for my kitchen a few years ago. I'm on the lookout for another one for my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I keep my eyes open for them too - so many things you can use them for!!

      Delete
  26. Oh, my! This chandelier is the perfect addition to your space. I'm looking for one to paint a shade of yellow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Boy Anne what a great update. I love that you added some bling!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this chandelier makeover Anne! I'm going to have to get some of those crystals from my friends at D Lawless Hardware!

    gail
    ps catching you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely transformation Anne. It looks perfect in your guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a nice makeover and a nice touch in your bedroom - so is the cat!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anne Thank you for share your beautiful makeover at Share it One More Time:) I love what you did! Pinned

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!