DIY Removable & Customizable Dishwasher Panel

Let me say right off the bat that my dishwasher is a bare basic model that doesn't allow for custom panels.  I seem to be the only person in the world who isn't fond of stainless steel appliances and my appliances are all stainless steel... sigh.




When I painted my kitchen cabinets last year, I wanted my dishwasher to blend in with them.  Here is my dishwasher:


It's not a bad little dishwasher and the stainless looks ok but it's not my preference.

Since I don't know what the future may hold and stainless is still a really popular look, I didn't want to paint or glue or do anything that would be permanent.  Here is what my dishwasher looks like now:



I took a piece of thin maple veneer and cut it to the width of the dishwasher.  There is a little lip between the bottom of the black panel and the front of the dishwasher panel that the veneer tucked into.  Then I used Command Strips to attach the sides and bottom of the veneer to the front of the dishwasher.  How brilliant is that??  Here is the veneer before I painted it to match the cabinets.


Since it's real wood, you can paint it, stain it, add trim or appliques - make it look like anything you want it to!  I could have attached corner bead trim to the edges to hide the door sides as well but I'm not that fussy.  I'm so happy with this temporary fix!!

Here's my newly renovated kitchen with my new dishwasher panel.

Such a simple DIY I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of doing this ages ago!  If only my fridge didn't have curved edges I'd be slapping a piece of veneer on it, too.

I tried using appliques on my dishwasher panel but they didn't really work with the Shaker cabinets.  Here's the try-on phase:


These are stuck on with masking tape so I could decide whether or not to buy the trim pieces necessary to connect the corners. They would have been glued on and painted white if I decided to go ahead with this look, but I decided against going this route.  I thought about adding a thin wood trim all around the edges to mimic the cabinet door look but that seemed like a make-work project that wasn't going to make that big a difference!

I attached a piece of painted 1x4 to the black skirting of the dishwasher (using Command Strips, of course!).  By the way, this post was not sponsored by Command Strips.  As someone who is ALWAYS changing things up, I'm in love with them without sponsorship!

Here's an example of making an old appliance look super cool and how appliques and trim might  be used to dress up a dishwasher panel even more:


Isn't this cool??  This was done by Victoria over at Trois Petites Filles blog.  You can check out her full tutorial HERE

Happy creating!




With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Remodeling and Home Design
    Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:
Inspire Me Monday     
Wow Us Wednesdays    BeYOUtiful Link   Your Turn to shine
Catch as Catch Can

30 comments:

  1. so great idea! i love it, really:)
    ps. kisses from Poland:*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of stainless either, Anne. I like the seamless look of one color throughout the room. You fix is brilliant. Gotta love those command strips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has me thinking about seeking veneer for my very outdated cupboards. Can you believe that I have never used a command strip? I'm as outdated as my cupboards!
    Your kitchen is lovely, Anne!
    Have a great week!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great Anne! I am just the opposite! My dishwasher is black and I wanted it to match the stainless! LOL! I even tried to see if it had a removeable/replaceable front and it didn't. Not once did I think of painting it, because I couldn't figure out how...you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a genius!....Love the new look!....the 3M Command products are my hero!...the kitchen looks so beautiful Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a smart idea Anne! Gotta love the pure genius 3M Command products. I'm impressed that they are holding with the constant heat changes of the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like seeing our stainless steal dishwasher from our dining/living room and always wished I could have one of those high end disguised one. This is a good solution, and I'm definitely going to give it a try. I didn't know there were flat command strips. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gosh i love your kitchen and you just keep making it better xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a darling! Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  9. No, you are not the only one who hates stainless steel appliances. These little 20-somethings on HGTV who insist on stainless steel have never had to take care of it. When you have kids constantly putting their hands on the fridge or dishwasher, then you will never want stainless steel again....unless fingerprints on everything does not bother you. It is a pain to keep clean and lends to an industrial look that I do not care for at all. I am sure there are others of us out there who do not care for stainless steel. Too many people go for what's "in" right now no matter how much cleaning it requires.

    Cate <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You are so right. Cleaning it is a royal pain - thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Great way to disguise your dishwasher ... blends well with your cabinets. Hope the command strips hold.
    You strive to make everything better and always seem to figure a way to do it. Very impressed.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never liked stainless steel, and now that we've lived in a rented apartment with ss appliances I like it even less. Your fix is great. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea and has my mind pondering it for my stainless dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You ARE brilliant! I love this idea! I need a new dishwasher, the one that is here in the house doesn't work. I may use this idea even with whatever new one I end up with... I get bored easily and this would be fun! =)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genius tip. I bet you have a neighborhood full of stainless appliance owners that you could make these for!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anne you are good!! Gotta love those 3M command strips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic job. You're so good. I'm telling you. You need your own show.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ann. You always come up with test solutions!! I'm going to send this to my husband so he can add it to his "honey do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anne,
    Genius. Love how this looks. I love Victoria's make over on her frig. That just makes my heart beat a little faster when I see it. So gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea to change up your dishwasher.

    I am in love with that fridge turned into a Victorian cabinet - it wouldn't work in my house, but it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is SO cool!! I think it looks great Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all, your kitchen is charming, Anne. You have such great ideas and such creative ability to implement your visions. I love this solution to your dishwasher panel. It fits right in with your cabinets.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant idea! I'm not a fan of stainless steel appliances either. We have black - but if I ever decide I need to have a purple dishwasher, I'm doing this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice job! I actually have stainless and black. I have never been completely sold on stainless...actually think I will go with white next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a great idea which I could have used in my old home! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!