Open House Sundays #13 - Art & Sand

Welcome to Open House Sundays where we get a personal invitation to tour through a different blogger's house every week!


This week's tour is courtesy of  my friend Carol from Art & Sand blog.   This home is so dear to my heart.  Every time I visit Carol's blog I fall more in love with her beautiful, colourful home.  It is a dreamy cottage by the sea.  This tour is the perfect antidote to the winter blues!  Enjoy!

***********************
Hi, I am Carol of





I am delighted that Anne wanted to include our little cottage in her Open House Sunday series.




As much as I love Christmas and all the decorations, I looked at Anne's Open House as an excuse to remove all of the Christmas decor and get our house back to normal.





In 1928 this was the front of our cottage viewed from the sidewalks that ran from the boulevard to the ocean, but those sidewalks were closed off in the 60's and this is now the back of the house.



You might think it is strange for me to have a cupboard on the porch, but when you live in less than 1000 sq. ft., you have to be creative.




Before you enter, I will warn you that not only is this our home, but it is also the art studio and gallery for my husband Steve.




Notice the painting, "Ventura From Grant Park", hanging over the chair - it will be going to its new home in February when it is paid off and a new painting will take its place - the art is ever changing throughout the house.



One of the features I love most about our home is the mullioned windows - with our mild Southern California weather, the windows are open throughout the year.




From the living room you look into the dining room with the table Steve built exactly one year ago out of reclaimed wood from a 100 year old house.




In 2001, we opened up the wall between the dining room and what was the laundry room and





had a window seat built.




The window seat is my spot -I sit there to eat meals, blog and watch Steve cook dinner.




The entry is probably the space that has changed the most in the 17 years we have lived in this house.




When we bought the house, the space held the water heater and a stackable washer and dryer - it was totally functional, but UGLY and sadly the first space anyone saw when they came to our door.




By moving the washer/dryer and the water heater and opening up the wall, we created a more welcoming and functional entry.





The kitchen is not my domain and I rarely share it on the blog- the space belongs to Chef Steve.





When Steve retired in 2007, the first thing he did was replace old ceramic tile with granite, have the floors covered in hexagon ceramic tile and install a Viking stove.





The kitchen is high on our list of projects for 2015 - painting the kitchen white, organizing the cupboards and I hope, glass fronts to the cabinet doors.





The guest room is occupied several days a week by our daughter and has been kept pretty simple,





but I wanted to show you another change we made that allows us to function in small quarters.





The pull down stairs to the attic provide access to plenty of storage - another project for 2015 is to organize the attic, but organizing the attic has been on my project list since we installed the stairs in 2001.





Our bedroom is big project for 2015 - painting the armoire,





new furniture- the IKEA Expedit is a remainder from the days when this room was an office,





and painting the walls are just a few of the items on the list.





I brought you in through the original front of the house, but now the only access to houses is via the original alleys so this is the front of our house today.





We installed this gate about 10 years ago.





Steve designed the gate, using his art logo, and had the gate made in Mexico by one of his contacts in his manufacturing days.





And speaking of Steve's art, here is his studio.





The studio is just off our bedroom - the French doors originally led to a deck.





No cleaning done for this picture, it is a working studio and you can see that Steve is a prolific painter.





He sold 24 paintings in 2014 - 9 were commissions.





Well, that's our little cottage.





If you are wondering why we would choose to live in a tiny cottage, Lulu would like to show you.





Just down the lane is Lulu's favorite spot in the world and the reason why we traded our big two story house for a little beach cottage.

*************************

Isn't Carol's home the happiest house you've ever seen?  I just love her use of colour and how she combines different colours together and comes up with such magical spaces.
Thank you so much for sharing your home with us Carol!
Have a great week everyone!



60 comments:

  1. This was wonderful and what a fabulous place to wake up everyday. I love the blue trim and all the pops of colors inside. It all makes me smile......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel about this super adorable cottage - it makes me smile...

      Have a great day Di!

      Delete
  2. Love Art & Sand!!!...and I would trade a big 2 story house for a beach cottage any day!!.....Carol and her talented hubby have certainly taken a 1,000 sq ft home and made it into a beautiful home that functions so well..Love that table that Steve made!...and the gate is gorgeous...I so loved this feature here today Anne....and readers should also follow Carol on Instagram where she posts so many gorgeous photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Carol and Steve's cottage. You were lucky to get their home on your house tour series. Have a great weekend, Anne. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anne Carol was a great choice. I love her and her wonderful blog and her beautiful cottage. Steve and Carol are living a dream life. What a wonderful space to wake up in every morning. I don't think I have ever seen Steve's creative space so that is super awesome. Love that room. I can see where he would be so inspired in this space. Gorgeous!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Carol. Steve's art speaks to me, since I was born and raised in Southern California. His color choices hover like shadows of memory for me, and Carol's energy to decorate keeps my mind wandering and wondering what I can do in my home! This was a fabulous tour. GO CAROL! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, I can't thank you enough for this lovely feature and the sweet words. I see that Kris mentioned seeing Steve's studio for the first time. I don't think I have ever shown the kitchen before either.

    I just posted about the tour on Instagram and my own blog.

    http://instagram.com/p/xcCOamL-Nz/?modal=true

    ReplyDelete
  7. I popped over from Carol's blog and just loved the tour! Carol and Steve both have the most amazing way with color, and I adored seeing this wonderful and utterly charming spot. One of the changes that Carol and Steve made that I love is placing that cabinet full of treasures in the entry in place of what she said was a utility area. When she photographed the inside of that cabinet with all of its treasures, I found myself going AHHHHH! I just love the way Carol decorates and Steve's paintings. Their palette is one I could easily live with, and I find their cottage one of the most charming, if not THE most charming, on the internet. Such a joy to view!

    Thank you for sharing this with us and Happy New Year!

    xo

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year Sheila! I do love this cottage as well as Carol and Steve and their peaceful lifestyle. They live my dream and definitely live in the most charming cottage on the internet. Thanks for visiting!

      xo

      Delete
  8. And how could I forget??? Their cute pup! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I love that little cottage, it's so unique and full of charm and color, I would totally trade any house for that house on the beach! Her husband has so much talent, I'm amazed! Thanks for sharing Anne! I'm totally following Art and Sand now!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne,
    Thank you for featuring Carol and Steve's lovely home. From garden gate to Lulu everything about their cottage speaks warmth and love. I love Carols blog, happiness and playful colors and amazing art makes a visit there like a hug.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol's home is like a fairytale cottage...I adore its charm...and who wouldn't want a spectacular view of the ocean!! Always a delight to visit her cottage by the sea!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much charm here, and just the right mix and blend of colour to it, I love that garden gate peering into the blue trimmed window.

    See you soon,
    A beautifully colourfull new year to you.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am like you Anne, I fall more and more in love with Carol's home every time I see it. It just makes me HAPPY! Every room of it exudes charm. I wish I could visit Carol in person and sit and talk with her in the window seat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol and Steve are my vision of Gidget and Moondoggie all grown up! ! Artful LOVE fashioned on the beach! They are the sweetest couple, and Carol is a lovely blog friend. Visiting their seaside cottage is like jumping into a storybook!
    I am very please to meet you via Art and Sand.
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Carol's Cottage and decorating style! It was nice seeing the kitchen in that post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore the charm of Carol's house! I really enjoyed seeing some rooms that I haven't seen before such as her husbands studio and her kitchen. It's like a little slice of heaven to live there, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing. This is great. I love Carol's Cottage and how she uses her space.
    She is a fun blogger and I enjoy here positive energy too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a happy, charming home!!! Love all the pops of red and the blue trim, not to mention the view!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it darling? I love this cottage so much! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  19. I love Carol's darling cottage, especially today as I look out our windows at our cold snowy landscape. Her sunny happy colors warm me up from the inside out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ann I love Carol's home...filled with all that pretty color!! I think this is the first time I saw the whole tour...great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Carol's cottage has always been one of my favorites,too, from the first day that I found her blog. I love how she uses primary colors and how happy they make me feel. It was great to get to see her kitchen, like she says, she doesn't show it often :) This was a very sweet tour, thank you for letting us tag along.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful tour! I love Carol and her fabulous beach house!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing this fantastic blogger! She is one of my favorites!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for showcasing the home of one of my favorite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful cottage by the sea you have Carol! I would trade a big house for a cottage with a beautiful view as well ... oops! I already have the small house, I just need to work on the view ;)
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carols cottage is amazing Anne, and I follow her as well....you know how to pick em chica!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carol's cottage is absolutely dreamy to me. I always love my visits there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for featuring Carol and Steve's home on your blog today. I follow her and learned that she was going to be your guest blogger.

    Both of them are so creative and it shows in the happy cottage home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tour Carol. I always enjoy seeing your colourful cottage and sweet decor.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Year, Anne! So happy to see Carol here today. Her blog is one of my all time favorites. I am a beach cottage girl, too and I love to watch Carol update her space. Her bright welcoming home especially warms me up in the winter...all that gorgeous color in the California sunshine...fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Carol's bungalow is oozing with charm and it's just such a sunny cheerful place that I can't help but smile when I visit (via her blog). Thanks so much for featuring Carol's home today, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  32. AH!!!! Carol!!! It is amazing to me that all of these years I have been following your blog and this is the first time I have seen some of your spaces like your pretty kitchen and Steve's amazing studio!! Such a beautiful home! And I loved the garden views from your windows! Just spectacular! I so understand why you live by the sea!! Thank you for featuring Carol's awesome home!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Carol's beach cottage is lovely and what a view! The fun colours work so well with Steve's art. At this time of year in our part of the world sun would be nice, let alone that beach so close by and keeping the windows open. We got a pile of snow and then freezing rain yesterday. Thanks for sharing the feature, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love Carol's cottage. It would be just a perfect place to live in dog included. Great feature.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I always enjoy seeing Carol's home and it was a pleasure to get a look inside the art studio as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love seeing Carol's cottage...saw some rooms that I hadn't seem before on her blog.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  37. For 1000 sq ft Carol makes it look a whole lot more. She really knows how to use her space wisely, I see so many inspirations for creating more space and her use of color is so unique! Thanks for sharing, Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have always been a little envious of Carols cute beach cottage! Live her blog and always like seeing what she's up to.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Carol really missed her calling as a stylist! Her quintessential beach cottage is envied throughout blogdom. And she's so damn nice!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Carol is great, and her little house is charming. Thanks for featuring her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my all-time fave cottage. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  41. I just L-O-V-E everything about Carol's cottage! It's cheery, bright, colorful, inspiring and inviting! Wish I were there! Thanks for sharing Ü

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! This cottage just makes me smile!

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  42. carol's bright, happy style is just charming--tfs, anne!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love Carol's cute cottage and how she changes just a few pieces and colors to make it look totally different. I'm too much of a collector of fabric I'd never make it in a small space. LOL
    Always enjoy her blog.
    Thanks for feature her and Steve's cottage and artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a fun tour. You've done more with your 1000 square feet than most people do with several times that amount of space. Your home is such an inspiration Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've been following Carol's blog for a while now. I always come away from her posts inspired. Love her home and she is a nice person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm another one of Carol's followers and absolutely love her cottage and the many projects she does. I had never seen Steve's studio or the kitchen before. As a cook myself, I'm envying the Viking stove!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love Carol's home almost as much as I love her. lol! She is a dear blog friend and we have a lot in common. We both love color and she does it so well! Thanks for sharing her warm and cozy cottage!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anne,
    Art and Sand is one of blogs I love for Carol's colorful cottage and cheerful, uplifting commentaries. Seeing all of their cottage, including the kitchen and studio, was a real treat. I did not know that their front door had originally been the back door. Thank you for sharing their cottage in your series. This is my first visit to your blog, and it is very nice to get to meet you.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for the tour Anne. Happy New Year to you and Carol. I love Carol and Steve's house. I love all the happy colors on the walls and furniture. I envy Steve his studio! What a great place to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  50. It was so good to see so much of Carol's wonderful home. We have been in contact for 3 years I hadn't seen some of these pictures before. I love the gate, we have just got a new one made for us why did'nt I think of getting initials added! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hey Lulu, I had the best time touring Mom's open house today. I liked seeing everything and it was a treat (you probably like treats don't you Lulu) to see the art studio.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Being a girl who loves colour, Carol's bright and beautiful beach cottage is the perfect place for this expat Canadian in Crete! Thanks so much for featuring her charming home; every room is a dreamy delight!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  53. I have always told Carol that I think her sweet little cottage is absolutely dreamy. Great tour...loved it.

    Hugs,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'd be very happy there, Carol and Steve's cottage is gorgeous and their life style seems very idyllic. I've never seen pictures of their kitchen or the full studio so it was lovely to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  55. It was so fun to see rooms that you don't usually share like the kitchen and art studio! Carol has the cutes happiest cottage!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!