Open House Sundays #16 - The North End Loft

Welcome to Open House Sundays where we get a personal invitation to tour through a different blogger's house every week!  


This week's tour is courtesy of Laurel from The North End Loft.  Laurel & I became good friends through following each other's blogs. She has been super supportive and inspirational too.  Laurel's kitchen renovation was the one that really made me rethink my own kitchen and remodel it for the 2nd time in 4 years.

Laurel lives in a Craftsman home - my favourite style - and I know you'll enjoy this tour of her beautiful home!

*****************************
Hello! I'm Laurel from The North End Loft, and I'm so happy to be here today at Design Dreams by Anne. For years I've admired Anne's wonderful design talent, DIY abilities, and fearless gumption to tackle even the most challenging projects around her home, and I'm honored to be part of her Open House Sundays Series. Thank you for having me, Anne!
  
 My husband and I live in a 105 year-old craftsman style cottage located in The North End National Historic District of Boise, Idaho. This is what our cottage typically looks like this time of year with a light dusting of snow. When the weather is nice during the other seasons we love to sit on our front porch and watch the world go by.

Our front door opens right into our long living room, and here we've created an entryway with an antique dresser and chair, an inherited hutch, and a cupboard repurposed from our old kitchen. 



I love having a touch of whimsy in every room.

On the other side of this room is our cozy front sitting room. We recently redecorated our home with neutral colored walls and furniture, and I'm having fun easily and affordably changing the accent colors for the seasons and holidays.


Just beyond the entryway is our dining room. This was once a seldom used formal room, but since removing a wall separating it from the kitchen it's become a favorite and well used space that better suits our more casual lifestyle.

When we recently remodeled our kitchen, we used the cottage two doors down from ours - built by the same builder and still with its original kitchen - for guidance and inspiration. The 100 year-old china cabinet came from the dining room wall that was removed.

Beyond the kitchen is an addition we built twenty-five years ago, doubling the size of our home. My husband and I did most of that work ourselves, even digging the foundation. When I say I've primed and painted miles of walls in my lifetime, I'm really not exaggerating! 

After our youngest daughter flew the nest, I converted her main floor bedroom into my studio where I can be found blogging, painting furniture, fiddling with thrift store treasures, and making holiday decorations. 

Last year our small master bedroom went from deep red paint and wall to wall carpet to light white walls and original hardwood floors. What a breath of fresh air that was!

And our master bathroom went from hunter green faux marble Formica to white subway tiles and spa-like quartz. Sometimes we feel like we've walked into a home belonging to someone else (and we're not leaving!)



Our guest room was the first room to be decorated in neutrals, and we loved it so much we decided to carry it over into the rest of our home.  

We try to make good use of every inch of space in our small urban garden, so we squeezed in a garden shed, a small lawn and deck, a potting bench, and even a few raised vegetable beds (because there's nothing as good as a homegrown tomato in the summertime, even in the city!) 

I hope you enjoyed this tour of our little cottage, and thank you again, Anne, for having me!

***************
Wasn't that a pretty home?! Don't you love the way Laurel repurposed her china cabinet and hung it over the counter in the kitchen?  So beautiful.  Be sure to pop over and visit Laurel on her blog at The North End Loft.

Thank you so much for sharing your home with us today Laurel.  And thank you all for visiting.
Have a great week!

34 comments:

  1. What a lovely home. I love how she incorporated the old dining room cupboards into the new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - wasn't that a fun idea? I love that she kept and repurposed that built-in! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, beautiful home! Now I've got to go check out her blog to see more of that lovely yard! I'm SO ready for spring so I can get started on my sad yard!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice Anne to have Laurel over today with her lovely home. Her kitchen re do was one of my fave's that she did to her cute home. I love the front porch ahhhhh I bet that is so lovely in the summer months.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful home and I love visiting Boise, such a place to live. You Sundays are so inspiring.
    Thanx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Laurel's craftsman style home and enjoyed watching them remodel. I am so envious of that wonderful work room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, The home that Laurel has refurbished is wonderful I love the yard too. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty house; love the porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fabulous? Thanks for visiting Sue!

      Delete
  8. Love craftsman homes! And Laurel has done a very beautiful makeover of hers. Their yard is so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craftsman homes are so gorgeous & you're right, Laurel has remodeled and decorated this home perfectly! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I really love her home and I can see the influences in your recent changes. I love her backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Laural's home and I follow her, so nice when she posts about her home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for featuring Laurel's beautiful home today ~it is so warm and comfortable looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This home is so warm and inviting. I truly love all the neutrals. So peaceful and happy looking. I ADORE the gray in her bathroom. This has given me ideas, Anne!!! Wanna come over and knock out a wall or two?

    Thanks for sharing! I love your Sundays!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great feature Anne! Laurel's blog is a favorite of mine...love her style! Her kitchen is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laurel is one of my absolute favorite bloggers and I adore her cottage and decorating style. I could move into her home and live happily ever after. So glad you featured her fabulous home this week, Anne. Laurel, you rock! xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love Laurel's home and the way she's decorated it without losing all the wonderful historic details. Thanks for featuring her home today, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome featured home - love Laurel's home, and reading her blog. Well chosen, Anne! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely home....decorated so beautifully! I love the antique cabinet she incorporated into the kitchen!!Thanks for sharing Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laurel is a joy to follow and her talent and creativity are amazing. Along with her decorating style she has incorporated the beautiful and historical elements of her home perfectly.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laurel's beautiful home is one of my very favorites! And she just happens to be one very sweet blogger too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what great pictures !!! love greetings from angie from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you again to Anne and to all of you for your very sweet comments. I've been so moved by them, and sharing here at Design Dreams by Anne has been such a wonderful experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The addition...25 years ago....
    I totally thought you were around 30 years old. OMG
    You have a charming home!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne thanks for introducing us to Laurel. What a gorgeous home from the exterior to each room in the interior. Very tastefully decorated and so warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Laurel's beautiful home. It's warm and welcoming. I've always wanted a front porch like that. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love Laurel and her beautiful home full of inspiring ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favorite style home--love every inch. Thanks Anne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Laurel, you have a beautiful home!....I am so loving the cottage style and hope to eventually be in one for our "retirement home"....Love the beautiful interiors and that bathroom makeover is fabulous...and then there is your beautiful gardens...Thanks Anne for another fabulous home tour...Laurel and her hubby are certainly a talented couple to have created such a wonderful home and then they built an addition to their home on their own?...that's fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI Anne, So nice to meet you and I have so enjoyed my visit to your blog and Laurel's home tour. Great to have her featured. I love every inch and detail of her gorgeous home. She and her hubby are very talented and did a fabulous job of redesigning. Truly magazine worthy. Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower too. Have a blessed day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely tour of the darling cottage!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Laurels cozy home and she has gorgeous style! That bathroom is to die for. Don't blame her for never wanting to leave! They have done such a fabulous job of making this ol gal shine!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!