Upcoming in 2015

I have been dreaming of a light, bright living room ever since I first moved into this dark 1930s bungalow four years ago.  This coming year, my main goal is to open up the living and dining room spaces and then add new windows which aren't in the budget for 2015, but are a coming attraction.

The wall behind the TV is the wall I'm going to be working with.



The trouble with my little 'ol house is that there is no proper foundation under it, plus the oldest section of the house has a 2 1/2' tall dirt floor crawl space.  In order to take out the whole wall, I'd need to install footings underneath to support the weight of the two columns and the beam required for this span.  NOT happening... So, another approach is needed.

While browsing through hundreds of blogs and Pinterest images, I found Bre's pretty living/dining room space from Rooms For Rent Blog that has become my inspiration.


I won't be using bookcases in my design, this is just a rough idea that started the ball rolling for me.  I plan to widen my doorway to 5 or 6' and then tear down the wall covering from 40" above the floor to the ceiling.  I'll wrap the studs with trim to make them look more like columns, add trim to look like beams above the columns and a ledge to finish off the opening.  Then I'll add board & batten trim on the wall below to make the whole base of it look like it's solid wood.   Here it is again:



Whew.  I'm tired just thinking about this one!  I don't expect this part of the project to cost me more than $150, but I do know it will be a lot of work to get me to the finished product.

Since sharing my kitchen inspiration really kicked me into gear this time last year, I'm hoping that sharing this idea with you all will help to motivate me through the process.

Here's the dining room side of the wall (the one with the pictures on it).


Here are the windows I'd love to put in:

This is from Farmhouse 5540 blog

The biggest, tallest window is the one I'm shooting for.  I'd install 3 of them, one in the living room and 2 in the dining room:


This is an old shot of the dining room, but you can see both windows in it.  I'll be tearing out the short window and reframing for the taller version that will match the height of the window you can see on the far wall.  The living room window is identical to the taller dining room window:


I'm also replacing my front door this year (YAY!!) with something that looks like this (I hope)


found on BHG

Anyhow, that's the plan.  The door and windows are the big expense, so not sure how long it will take me to get all of these plans done, but I'm excited thinking about it all.

Hope you'll be cheering me along in this process!

Cheers,



20 comments:

  1. Wow, both renovations sound so exciting! The large windows will let in so much light. I know you'll love that. It's been taking me a while to finish my projects (so many irons in the fire, whew) but it looks like my bathroom project is coming to a close. The contractor is coming back next week to do the last touches. He was waiting on me to finish what I had to do after his last big work, but then I got sick so it was delayed. Looking forward to showing you guys...and of course moving on to other home projects. :-)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Can't wait to see you in action with all of this! I think that door is my very favorite... I'm going to have to show that one to my husband since it would look fantastic on our little house!
    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all sounds so exciting. I think you will love having your two rooms opened up to each other, and the shared light from your new window and door will be wonderful. I also think the trim you have planned will look perfect for your cottage. Our whole lives were changed when we removed a wall. Sounds silly, but it's true! :) I'm so impressed by your moxie, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love Pinterest and blogs for getting ideas.

    I can't wait to see all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all sounds exciting. I'm always cheering you on Anne and opening up this area will make everything seem larger. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you know I'll be along for this wild ride! You. Never. Stop.!! I love your plans and will surely envy a room flooded with light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! Great ideas, can't wait to see this redo take place!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for you. Wow, I could never do what you do. Would you mind if I live through you? Hehe. Can't wait to see things happen. Love all you are planning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your plan ... I know you can do it. Sounds so exciting.
    Will be anxious to see how it turns out.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, and I thought your house was done! LOL
    I didn't realize it was a 1930s house... that's probably as old as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant ideas! It's going to be fascinating to follow these new projeccts. I would have loved to add a window in the dining-room and one in the living-room, but in a stone Cottage, it proved to be a very, very expensive job as it meant making sure the stone walls would still hold up after having holes created in them...

    ReplyDelete
  12. After what you pulled off in 2014, I have full confidence that you will have your open wall by summertime. Looking forward to following along!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That project sounds great and I know that it will look wonderful as you already have a great plan...I love the inspiration pics and can't wait to see what magic you will perform on that wall project!...Opening up the area is such a great idea!..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh... I can't wait to follow along. I wish I knew how to do half of what you do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your plans are great, Anne. I love the way you've gotten around the bearing wall problem; that's going to look so good. The large window and entry door you showed are similar to what we have planned for our new cottage. I love the grids, and all the light the door allows in. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way! This is going to look amazing. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds a great plan, I can't wait to see the end result! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne, I love some of your ideas very much. Those windows. Small paned windows are my favorite style. I hope that you will be able to do the home re-dos you desire. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with this plan in 2015! Am I the only one wondering about the new location of the TV when there is no more wall? ha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!