I've painted and repainted and tried all sorts of looks on this piece, but nothing really spoke to my heart until this latest makeover.
I began with this bare basic Ikea Stranda wardrobe, bought many years ago because it was solid wood and unfinished so it wasn't terribly expensive.
It's roughly 4' wide and 20" deep. There's a center partition and you can have hanging space on both sides or shelves or a mix of both. It's been very handy. Right now it is my linen closet and it is located in my home office. At first I painted it white but the white was way too stark and I did not like it... so I painted the entire front in chalk paint.
And that was fun for a while. Then last year I began making over all the furniture in the office and the wardrobe did not fit anymore.
I was offered some Websters Chalk Paint Additive to try out. I used both my samples together with two cups of flat white paint and mixing in some Raw Umber acrylic paint. I painted the wardrobe with a single coat and then added more Raw Umber before painting the second coat. After the paint had dried for a couple of hours I tried to sand it, I didn't have much success. The chalk paint additive had adhered really well and I had to use my orbital sander to get the corners sanded down. This is the perfect chalk paint for skipping the primer coat and not wanting a chippy look. I, however, prefer the chippy look... I tried using vinegar to dissolve some of the paint but that did't work that great either... what the vinegar did do, is change the colour of the paint slightly so that the paint job began looking old and wonderful. Yay me!!
The chalkboard paint base coat was an awesome choice. The edges looked perfect once the black was exposed. Time to work on the "jewelry" for the wardrobe.
I never liked the handles on the wardrobe, I had changed them several times but never found anything I really liked. Last year I picked up a number of vintage doors and door hardware, so I chose two of the door plates and installed them on the wardrobe together with some pretty knobs.
Next step was to change out the European hinges that I don't like much. I chose these pretty butterfly hinges and installed them on the face frame.
Ok, liking this very, very much!
Next up, those really spindly feet.
I tried so many options for creating a more substantial look but nothing sat well with me. Then I decided to create a wood sandwich.
I took some leftover chunks of baseboard trim and cut them down to the size of the existing foot.
After the wood was cut to shape, I used a finish nailer on the pieces to keep them together, then I nailed them to the original feet and painted them.
I wanted the wardrobe to look like it was made out of planks instead of plywood, so I took a piece of 1x6 and used it as a guide to draw lines on the piece with a pencil.
And then I went back and redrew the lines with a Sharpie. Then I got out the orbital sander again and went over the entire piece.
Now for the inside.
I painted it plain ol' white with a flat ceiling paint and gave myself a paint fume headache to boot! I skipped painting the shelves because I already had shelf paper on them. Even so, it took forever to paint this..
Oh who am I kidding, I managed to clear out a few things but not as much as I should have. You know how it is, the moment you get rid of it you want it. Most of the stuff went back into the cupboard and/or bedroom closets.
and here is the whole thing finally painted, distressed, styled and put back together again.
You can never have too many pillows, quilts, throws, bedspreads and towels in my opinion. LOL
Overall this turned out to be a much bigger job than I anticipated but I'm so very pleased with the result. I think this piece totally looks cool now. It fits in with the other pieces I've made over for this room too. The only things left are the lighting and the desk!
Extra points to anyone who can figure out what is on top of this cupboard on the right hand side. (Scroll to the bottom of the post for the answer)
Have a great week!