Ikea Hack - Wardrobe to Vintage Linen Cupboard

Welcome to my quest to turn my Ikea Stranda wardrobe into a cool, vintage looking piece of furniture.

I've painted and repainted and tried all sorts of looks on this piece, but nothing really spoke to my heart until this latest makeover.

I began with this bare basic Ikea Stranda wardrobe, bought many years ago because it was solid wood and unfinished so it wasn't terribly expensive.





It's roughly 4' wide and 20" deep.  There's a center partition and you can have hanging space on both sides or shelves or a mix of both.  It's been very handy.  Right now it is my linen closet and it is located in my home office.  At first I painted it white but the white was way too stark and I did not like it... so I painted the entire front in chalk paint.


And that was fun for a while.  Then last year I began making over all the furniture in the office and the wardrobe did not fit anymore.

I was offered some Websters Chalk Paint Additive to try out.  I used both my samples together with two cups of flat white paint and mixing in some  Raw Umber acrylic paint.  I painted the wardrobe with a single coat and then added more Raw Umber before painting the second coat.  After the paint had dried for a couple of hours I tried to sand it,  I didn't have much success.  The chalk paint additive had adhered really well and I had to use my orbital sander to get the corners sanded down. This is the perfect chalk paint for skipping the primer coat and not wanting a chippy look.  I, however, prefer the chippy look...   I tried using vinegar to dissolve some of the paint but that did't work that great either...  what the vinegar did do, is change the colour of the paint slightly so that the paint job began looking old and wonderful.  Yay me!!


The chalkboard paint base coat was an awesome choice.  The edges looked perfect once the black was exposed.  Time to work on the "jewelry" for the wardrobe.

I never liked the handles on the wardrobe, I had changed them several times but never found anything I really liked.  Last year I picked up a number of vintage doors and door hardware, so I chose two of the door plates and installed them on the wardrobe together with some pretty knobs.


Next step was to change out the European hinges that I don't like much.  I chose these pretty butterfly hinges and installed them on the face frame.



Ok, liking this very, very much!


Next up, those really spindly feet.


I tried so many options for creating a more substantial look but nothing sat well with me.  Then I decided to create a wood sandwich.


 I took some leftover chunks of baseboard trim and cut them down to the size of the existing foot.



After the wood was cut to shape, I used a finish nailer on the pieces to keep them together, then I nailed them to the original feet and painted them.


I wanted the wardrobe to look like it was made out of planks instead of plywood, so I took a piece of 1x6 and used it as a guide to draw lines on the piece with a pencil.



And then I went back and redrew the lines with a Sharpie.  Then I got out the orbital sander again and went over the entire piece.

Now for the inside.

I painted it plain ol' white with a flat ceiling paint and gave myself a paint fume headache to boot!  I skipped painting the shelves because I already had shelf paper on them.  Even so, it took forever to paint this..


Then came the best part of this project.  Purging.  Yes, I am a linen addict.  I have stuff I have dragged around with me for almost 40 years. I even have a comforter that my Godmother gave me for my 14th birthday present.   Nuff said.

Oh who am I kidding, I managed to clear out a few things but not as much as I should have.  You know how it is, the moment you get rid of it you want it.  Most of the stuff went back into the cupboard and/or bedroom closets.


and here is the whole thing finally painted, distressed, styled and put back together again.



You can never have too many pillows, quilts, throws, bedspreads and towels in my opinion.  LOL

Overall this turned out to be a much bigger job than I anticipated but I'm so very pleased with the result.  I think this piece totally looks cool now.  It fits in with the other pieces I've made over for this room too.  The only things left are the lighting and the desk!



Extra points to anyone who can figure out what is on top of this cupboard on the right hand side.  (Scroll to the bottom of the post for the answer)

You can check out the other pieces I made over for this space by clicking on the photos below:








Have a great week!







ANSWER:
Max strikes again!

54 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Anne. There's no way I would've guessed it was an Ikea piece at birth! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is perfect. I think your best move was to paint the vertical stripes, that really makes the doors look like they are not one piece and make it look old! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, this turned out absolutely beautifully. I can't believe what you accomplished with a sharpie. Those planks look so real! I love the door plates and new hinges. So many elements and details make this look like it's truly vintage. You are a miracle worker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cabinet is fantastic! I did think it was an animal up there. lol Now back to the cabinet - it's such a wonderful space to store your linens. You may have a lot, but the way they are presented is great. I purged my own linen closet this summer (I was amazed - still had comforter sets from junior high and college!). Kudos to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cupboard looks wonderful- what a difference new hinges and knobs make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne this is truly amazing...what a gorgeous piece you created!!! LOVE THIS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Anne, I would have never guessed that it isn't an antique! What a great job you've done!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful old wardrobe you have Anne, have you ever thought of refinishing it?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great Anne, I liked all of the transformations but this last one has to be the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne that is such a cool piece! I kept scrolling up and down to look at the original after each step you did. Amazing! I particularly love that you made it look like it was made of planks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how it turned out, what a fabulous piece. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It doesn't even remotely look like the original. Love it and love all the storage it gives you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As all the others have said, this transformation was unique and so stunning in the final result.... you really are inspirational and I am looking forward to seeing so much more as you blog onwards... thank you so much for sharing, cannot wait to get started on my own ideas now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeannine! Isn't it a great feeling to be so inspired to create?!

      xo

      Delete
  14. You're absolutely the best to make an Ikea piece look like a charming old piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a darling dream cupboard as I like to call these old gals. Your redo was great! ~jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is great, Anne. I love it! You had so many great ideas that all put together made for a wonderful, unique piece. One of a kind, I tell ya. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great job you did! The hardware really makes a difference! I am in love with linen closets and hope to acquire one, one day... I think it is so much fun to see all your lovely linens stacked up in one place like you have. I found you via Wow Us Wednesdays :) Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh have you given me food for thought! We have an IKEA just down the street.....and that is amazing!!
    LOve it
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love the transformation! Great job and creative effort. Visiting from WOW. Linda @bushelandapickle.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous, Anne!! LOVE the knobs and hardware you put on.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anne, WOW you did an amazing job and your Ikea piece looks fabulous! I love the accents you added with the hardware and the sandwiched feet is perfect. Love the plank look too.
    Thanks for sharing and this inspiration.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like what the door handles and the butterfly hinges added to this piece. That and the paint finish really gives the wardrobe a vintage vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What did you say your day job was??? The transformation is simply beautiful. You really should consider doing this for a living, gf. I LOVE the knobs and the hinges! The paint fumes were SO worth it! (easy for me to say)

    xo
    ~K

    ps - "gf" means girlfriend not gluten free. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne,
    It is gorgeous. You re loved this piece into a beauty. Happy Valentine's Day. Have a great week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE what you did to this piece Anne!! It looks just like a vintage piece! Happy Valentines day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You did a really great job on that piece. It turned out perfect. My favorite part? Max!;>) Happy Valentine's Day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW!! The piece itself is so handy for storage, but the way you have made it your own with your DIY tweaks puts it right over the top. Love every change you made, it's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anne, drawing the lines for the plank look was genius! You really added on the charm. Love the hardware, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're so amazing Anne - this is just gorgeous - and you'd never ( in a million years ) believe this was from Ikea - it's brilliant - love love love it !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow!!!....how did I miss this post!!...YOU ARE TOTALLY AMAZING!!...this piece is awesome!....from the great paint treatment to adding those great door knobs and hardware...and then you go and enhance the feet!....Oh and the pencil markings for the plank look is genius!...Can you tell I love the way you transformed this piece?!!!...Magnificent job Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, nice transformation! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many great DIY ideas in one piece of furniture! Such a wonderful job on all of it, Anne. My favorite trick you used is drawing the planks on...genius! I saw your post over at "Share Your Style" blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Such a great transformation. Love your cabinet and also love linens!!

    Blessings from Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how this turned out. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well this popped up in my news feed this morning! LOL! But..it was fun to see again!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love love this makeover, Anne! So clever to make the feet more substantial, and the hinges are a great touch. Love the finish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh how I do love a good IKEA hack, looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Excellent. You stuck with it and got the look you wanted. The hardware is the perfect addition, as well as the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That looks awesome!!! I would LOVE to have a couple of these, just perfect for linens. I've just done an Ikea hack myself, it must be in the air. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is so beautiful, Anne! I love, love, LOVE what you did with the knobs and hinges - genius... as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow...you have been busy....love this! Thanks for sharing at Share it One More Time....

    ReplyDelete
  42. If you had shown a photo of your wardrobe without any words, I NEVER would have guessed that it wasn't antique. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love what you did to this piece. I have an old Ikea armoire that has been done and redone over the years to fit my mood. But I am again inspired by your amazing post to re do mine again. Thanks for sharing. It looks GREAT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!