Open House Sundays #18 - The Happy Housie

Welcome to Open House Sundays where we get a personal invitation to tour a different blogger's home every Sunday!


This week's tour is courtesy of Krista at The Happy Housie.  Krista is another Canadian blogger from the West Coast.  Krista and her husband have been renovating their home for about the same amount of time as I've been working on mine only on opposites sides of the same province!  She loves working with vintage and second-hand pieces and has a great eye for mixing patterns and colours,   I know you'll enjoy this lake cottage home.  

***********************
Hello readers of Design Dreams by Anne!

I'm Krista from The Happy Housie and I am so excited to be here today sharing my summer house tour. I was super thrilled and honoured when Anne asked me to share my house tour over here!! Like I said, I blog at The Happy Housie and I called my blog this because I think of myself as a "housie" (think foodie but for houses - aka, a total house geek). I love sharing all kinds of DIY projects, decorating, crafting, and even a little organizing now and then (when I find the time to actually get a little organized...). My favourite projects usually involve upcycling some old piece of junk that I managed to sneak into the house by freshening it up with a lick of paint. I also have a slight obsession with DIY envelope pillows and change them out about 47 times per year. Okay, perhaps slightly less often then that - but several times a year at least.

We bought our house, which is situated on a lovely freshwater lake in beautiful British Columbia, Canada (the same province as Anne lives in) just over three years ago. It had lovely bones but was a pretty blank canvas to begin with. We have been slowly working our way through it adding character to each room. We still have many major projects left to go but so far we have redone the bathrooms, laundry/mud room, added paneling to our bedroom and our boys' bedroom as well as to the entry/hallway. We are currently working on renovating the kitchen, and also repainting and changing up the living/dining room. So realistically, our house won't doesn't look exactly like this for much longer! It seems that every room on the main floor has now been painted (despite the promise I made to my husband when we bought the house that "I love it so much I don't even need to paint" - ya right).

Without further ado, come on in!!

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 13


Welcome- I hope you enjoy the tour!

Our small entry hall was updated and given some character with DIY Board and Batten. I love my brightly chalk painted entry table and vintage (free) chair.... as well as the collected gallery wall items always bring a little smile to my face. You will quickly see that we are big fans of color around here and switch it out according to the season.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 12


From our entry hall you can head left to our living/dining room, go straight ahead to the kitchen and deck, or turn right and head down a long hallway to the bedrooms and bathrooms.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 11


Let's head into our living room. My favourite feature of this room is the vaulted ceiling and the big windows that let in tons of natural light. We have a mostly neutral backdrop in our walls, furnishings, and rug so that I can switch up the colors in the pillows and art seasonally.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 17


Most of the items in our living room gallery wall were thrifted - though the large painting is by my brother-in-law (talented, isn't he?!). The "A"s are for our last name and I got both of them at Home Sense (like Home Goods). The large one was on clearance but an ugly color so I just gave it a coat of white spray paint. The oars, newel posts, window frame and oil painting were all thrift store finds, and the coffee table was bought on Craigslist and painted with Benjamin Moore's Aegean Teal. We used the same color on our front door, and one swatch down (Colorado Gray) is the color on the walls in our entry hall. The color inspiration came from the broken chunk of oar you see hanging on the wall. These DIY envelope pillows were made with some fabric that I ordered from Tonic Living, one of my favourite sources of online fabric. I have a super simple tutorial for making these pillows that literally takes minutes.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 23


The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 20


We turned an old dresser into a media cabinet and then I made a large wooden sign to hang above the TV space. The lamps, cheese barrel/side table, and coffee table-turned bench under our window were all thrift store/garage sale finds as well.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 21


The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 22


From the living room you can head straight into the dining space- it is really just one big open room. I found the waterski at a garage sale a couple of weeks after we moved in... and the broken oar on the window wall washed up on our lake beach.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 245


My absolute favourite part of our dining room has got to be the old church pew running along the back wall and I am forever indebted to the dear friend who gave it to us... after I asked her for years if I could buy it from her she finally gave in and just gave it to us (she had two and didn't want to move them to their new hometown). The wall behind is another gallery with a mix of vintage thrifted and new pieces.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 7


The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 8


On the wall opposite the pew we have a large cabinet that acts as a mantel for me. In the summer I keep the display pretty casual. The faux mantel cabinet was made out of an old china hutch - you should see the hideous before!

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 2


The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 9


Our dining room leads into our kitchen area... this room is CURRENTLY undergoing a big renovation. It looks O.K. in this picture but if you get much closer, scary things were lurking below the surface. It was time for a change.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 8 (2)


From our kitchen we go out to our deck... our favourite space to hang out in the summer.

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 14


Our deck is full of all kinds of thrifty and DIY ideas ...

The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 5


The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 6


The Happy Housie Home Tour for Design Dreams by Anne 4


If you want to see a little more of our house, I invite you to come on by and visit me at The Happy Housie. You can get a few more details about our main living space or deck, or if you want to continue the tour then I can take you on a little jaunt down our long hallway to the laundry/mud room, bathrooms, and bedrooms! I'd be thrilled to have you over!

Thanks again Anne for having me over at Design Dreams! It was such great fun to be hang out on your lovely blog for the day!

Thanks for reading. And remember, my housie friends, HOME isn't built in a day. Enjoy the journey.
image with signature by thehappyhousie


bloglovin facebook google+ instagram twitter rss pinterest

************************

Thanks so much for sharing your house tour with us Krista!  

Wasn't that a pretty home?  I love the setting, too.  I don't know why I'm living in the mountains when I love being by the water so much... 

Have an awesome week everybody, thanks for visiting!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Remodeling and Home Design
    Follow on Bloglovin

15 comments:

  1. I've always loved her home, so bright and cheery! Thanks for sharing!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful and cheery looking cottage. I love all the curious objets d'art placed about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun?? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Anne, I love Krista's site and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it pretty? So envious of her view!!

      xo

      Delete
  4. The house is great and the view from the deck is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista, your lake cottage is jam packed full of charm...love it!!! All of the bright colors you use makes it such a happy place to be. I love that you don't shy away from using color. Thanks for the delightful tour!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cottage does not look anywhere near that........yet! Love seeing more Canadian bloggers. And your cottage is super lovely Krista. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krista....I can see why you have named your blog the Happy Housie....because every room makes you want to smile!...So fresh, bright and beautiful...love all of the beautifully painted furnishings and must say that I could spend all day on that deck looking over the water and the gorgeous view!!!...Great feature here today Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne,
    I love the house....it is so colorful and looks like a pretty place to relax! Thanks for sharing.....love these home tours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing Krista with us - I'd forgotten she was a fellow Canuck! I've been following her blog for about a year now and just love her use of color throughout her gorgeous home.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Sunday feature so I can meet fun new bloggers. I love Krista's lake house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute house, and that view is am-az-ing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!