Vintage Look for a New Tray



It seems every Christmas I get a gift of assorted nuts decoratively arranged in a tray. The trays are inexpensive and wood. Perfect opportunity for a spurt of creativity!




These trays are made of really rough wood and need a good sanding.  I opted to do all the decorative stuff before sanding.  I just splashed paint onto the tray with a 1 1/2" paint brush, going both with and against the grain and not trying to get good coverage.

I decided to add a fleur de lis design to the center of the tray so I printed out a design I found online and traced over the top of it onto the tray.  Then I used a Sharpie to fill in the outline on the tray,



I decided the design was too small for the tray, so I embellished it with the word Paris and some extra laurel leaves drawn on free-hand with a Sharpie (I traced around the edge of a plastic lid to get the quarter circle right).  Then I sanded the whole tray.  I added some flecks of white paint for good measure.


Now it works for me!


Have a great week!


22 comments:

  1. What a great color and finish. I love French designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job, i loved it!
    ps. kisses from Poland:*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea for fixing up a so-so tray to a wonderful tray.

    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Anne! You are brave. Every time I try to free hand something....I ruin it. You did a great job on yours. Did you use milk paint? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne, playing major catch up I have so many old emails to read. Love this tray, I am not good at freehand at all. Unsteady hands.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to spruce up a boring tray Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, Anne. Isn't it fun to take something so plain (not to mention free!) and create something so pretty? Love it! xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super elegant, Anne. Would never guess it was a freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice Anne ... you are so creative. Love the display with the tulips and the lemons. Great look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful transformation, Anne! Hope all is well with you! Rainy today, but we've had some glorious warm weather here of late, so I was out in the garden cleaning--we have snowdrops and crocus blooming, as well as Chinese witch hazel and sarcacoca shrub--I love early spring flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, that looks great Anne! I wish someone would give me a tray of nuts! lol! I love food gifts!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this Anne. The color and the french design just perfect!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a tray that was given to me by colleagues a while ago and I need to do that with it. The look is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour Anne! Great, like from the shop :DD. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always your ideas are so good. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great way to re-purose a part of a Christmas gift container!!....Love it...turned out great and I love Paris too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty handy that you get each year with Christmas goodies. One can never have too many trays, their so handy! Very pretty, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tray is great. Can you tell us the colors you used? I see the black tray, blue and gray???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tray is painted in Benjamin Moore Lenox Tan with a little black paint mixed into it to darken it a bit. Then I used a black Sharpie to draw the image and text and a tiny bit of white watercolour paint on the letters before I sanded them. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!