Positively Deer Proof Plants - Part II

Time for part 2 of positively deer proof plants!  
As I mentioned in the last edition, what works in one part of the continent may not work elsewhere.  Hungry deer will eat almost anything and white tail deer have different tastes from mule deer.  
 
What to do???  I'm sharing what has worked in my gardens over the last 15 years.  I've dealt with both white tail and mule deer in my community and landscaped two homes.
Hopefully these selections will provide you with some plants that you can enjoy with or without a deer issue!



Bee Balm  (modeled by our own version of Vanna White)
You may wonder why Max is so interested in hanging out around this plant.  He is fascinated by humming birds which are drawn to bee balm in droves.



Allium (the purple ball flower shown above).  The above combination of alliums, bugleweed and poppies makes a nice deer resistant combination. 



More bee balm. Did you know this plant is what flavours Earl Grey tea?


Cranesbill geraniums

 Deadnettle 

Don't plant hosta if you're trying to avoid deer.  You'll wind up with a situation like this:


 Mule deer are not nearly as pretty as white tail deer.


Lily of the Valley:  
This plant is poisonous, so avoid it if you have pets or young children.


Maltese Cross (a butterfly magnet!)



 Marigolds and Zinnias



Peonies
 Columbine is supposed to be deer resistant but that hasn't always worked around here.


Perennial Sage


Flowering Tobacco Plant (nicotiana) and Spider flower (cleome)



Foxglove

The one shown here is perennial, it flowers every year and spreads easily.  The pink ones we're all used to are biennials.  They self-seed and flower in the second year.  Both types are poisonous, so once again be careful planting these around pets and kids.

By the way, if you've planted any of these and found the deer in your part of the world eating them please share which plants and where you live in the comments.

Hopefully we can all be out enjoying our gardens soon.  Have a wonderful week!!

 
If you missed Part 1 of this series, click on the photo below:



20 comments:

  1. Anne,
    Ahhhhhhhh I just sank into all your pics. Beautiful blooms!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully we don't have a problem with deer.....just the other critters. Your flowers are beautiful :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your deer proof plant posts!....the deer in our neck of the woods (NC) will eat day lilies...I love them but the first time I planted them after having many species in Florida, I was devastated as they were mowed down by the deer...and sometimes they try a flower, bite it off and spit it out!...ugh....Your garden is always beautiful Anne and love your "Vanna"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a deer and rabbit problem. I've never had them bother the day lilies or the azaleas. Maybe I can plant some of these beauties. Love your garden area!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have deer problems here but we do have rabbits and, even worse, voles...which I am sorry to say I hate with a passion. They eat the roots off things and the die from the bottom up. UGH.
    Your plants are beautiful. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting post that i might be soon returning too! I have seen some deer at the bottom of the road but not yet in our garden but I am sure it is only a matter of time! We have just finished planting a rose border and I know from friends and one of our previous homes that deer love roses! Oh well if you don't try you will never know! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anne for all this valuable information. Our deer seem to eat almost everything, so I have just given up on having a pretty flower garden. Maybe I will check on some to the flowers you have planted to test them on our deer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that bee balm flavored earl grey tea, and don't thinkf I've ever seen or even heard of mule deer, but I can see the relation. They're still cute, though. And then, there's Max, the little star of the show. Beautiful garden and great info, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just looking at all of your pictures is making me long for spring, which is just about here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all beautiful. We don't have a deer issue but I am going to try and plant some of these beauties this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne,

    You don't know how much I needed this post today! We are in the middle of a deer commune here.

    Thanks for the amazing post!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful plant suggestions Anne. Where those Mule Deer right outside the window as the shot suggests? That looks like a whole family of deer. You definitely speak from experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many wonderful plants that the deer will leave alone. I know we don't have to worry about deer where we live but my in-laws are constantly fighting them. They have now fully enclosed their garden to keep some berries and other plants they grow from being eating by the deer. Thanks for sharing at the Tuesday Garden Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over Shelly! I'm happy your in-laws found a solution!

      Delete
  14. Loved all your photos..I'm always searching for great plants...you shared so many, enjoyed your post!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! Thanks for visiting Sonia!

      Delete
    2. In Ohio our deer eat shasta daisies, day lilies and veronica. Some that deer ignore that didn't make your list include: nasturtium (great fun for kids to plant and the seeds are very large.) hellebores (lenten roses), and butterfly bushes.

      Delete
    3. Funny! the deer here love nasturtiums! but they don't eat butterfly bush and I had forgotten all about that one. I'll have to give hellebores a try, too. Thanks Mary!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!