Quick & Easy Litter Box Disguise

Kitty litter boxes are not one of my favourite things. My home is a single level bungalow with a trap door to the mechanical room in my crawlspace. My only option is to have the litter box located somewhere on the main floor.


Ever since I remodeled my mudroom and laundry room, the litter box has been tucked away behind my washer and dryer. You can't see it from the entrance to the room, but you can from every other angle. UGH. I've been searching for a cheap and easy solution for a while but only this past week did I come up with something that works beautifully!




This is where the litter box used to be kept:

But then I put in a window and turned that space under the counter into bunk beds for the cats: 


The litter box moved to this space (where the stool is)

and the cats proceeded to flick litter every which way.  Plus there was litter dust on EVERYTHING!

I decided to give up the lower hanging rack and move the litter into the corner.  Then I hung a shelf on brackets at counter height.  I put in an inexpensive Ikea desk lamp to light up this dark corner.


Command strip hooks hold a dustpan and handbroom and the scoop at the side of the box.  A curtain made from an inexpensive shower curtain keeps everything tucked away out of sight.  There's a gap between the front edge of the shelf and the cabinet to allow the cats to get in and out without tugging at the curtain.



I put an upside down plastic shoe box for my older cat to use as a stepstool into the litter box.

Then I dressed up the area above the counter with an Ikea set of galvanized pots and rack that I picked up at a yard sale last year.  I painted the galvanized pots with chalk paint and used Mod Podge to glue some flower seed packet printables to them.  If you want to see my collection of printables, click HERE







Max approves.




Problem solved.


Cheers!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. You're so clever and good at designing cute little desk nooks. What a great idea for camouflaging your kitty's litter box. And I just love your cute flower packet pots. I think your laundry room is one of the cutest rooms in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your artwork above your desk is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good way to hid the litter box. We had one of those enclosed kinds...what a blessing, using scoopable litter...saved money, the odor was not over powering either. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very smart, Anne. It looks really great and keeps things orderly. When we were in our last house I had a cabinet built next to my washing machine that had a door with a hole cut into it -put the litter box inside and the cats had their own private "bathroom". And because the door was closed it kept all the litter contained until I opened it to scoop it. Gotta love our kitties. I sure miss having a cat. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever Anne. This is a great solution for your two kitties.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Anne! I like how you put it in a big plastic bin instead of the shallow pans. I also like their privacy curtain. I hate seeing the litter box, but I really can't figure out a space to put it. For now it is behind a chair. I use those crystals and prepackaged litter pans that fit in an automatic sweeper, so I don't have to clean, because I get sick. They last about ten days, and it comes with a cover, and then I throw the hold thing away. It's a little bit more. I should give it some thought as to how to hide it. We have no basement either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea using a big plastic bin for the litter box. My cat's litter box is in the mechanical room in the basement and they are extremely messy with kicking litter all over the place. I was contemplating a larger litter pan but I like your idea much better. I've never had success with the covered boxes, I think my cats like to have lots of "head room" and be able to move about. Thanks for sharing. Always love your creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, Anne, and I'll bet the kitties love their privacy; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, Anne, and I'll bet the kitties love their privacy; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great solution and the pots are pretty

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it's Max approved, we can only admire your great solution! I also have a curtain hiding the litter box, it did take a few days for the cat to figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is such a creative way to hide the litter box...and love that you provided a step stool!....Yes, looks like Max has given it the 4 paws up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very smart! I love those little buckets. And the shelf is a great idea. Looks like you got the seal of approval. Your laundry room is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I am getting off-topic, but I really love, love the little tins with the seed packets. The turquoise is spectacular and really sets off the vintage images. I am going to make some for myself.
    The litter box set-up is a great idea. I wish dogs could be potty trained like cats! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now you see it, now you don't! I never thought of using a clear plastic tote as a litterbox. You're a smart one, Anne, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant, and it's so charming. I like the way you take care of all these little details in your home, Anne. It's inspiring and shows pride of ownership. Enjoy the rest of your week, my friend. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea, Anne! I need to cover up my litter boxes with a skirt like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great idea, Anne!! I'm thankful to be able to put ours in the laundry room in the basement. Love your sweet Max! Thanks for sharing at Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So does older cat have a way back out of the litter box? I realize getting IN is the more important of the two, and do they use the bunk beds?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!