Life with Max Pt 2 - The Mice are Conspiring

Max was teething like crazy, I kept stepping on molars and itty bitty teeth.  He was biting and chewing like nobody’s business.  I thought I could distract him from biting me and Eloise by getting him more toys. 

Max & Donkey Oti
There are lots of cat toys out there.   It’s mind-boggling how many toys there are for cats.   I guess cats can be just as finicky about their toys as they are about their food and litter selection.  I picked out a few to try on Max.  My first choice became a great favourite.  It was actually a dog toy - a stuffed donkey.



Max LOVED that toy. Every day, multiple times a day, he kicked the everloving s*** out of it.  I don't know what poor donkey did to make Max beat on him like that all the time but at least Max was leaving me and Eloise alone while he took out his frustrated energies on donkey.   Poor Donkey-Oti got a whole lotta beating on until his stuffing began falling out and I took away all the stuffing in the head to make sure Max didn't eat any of it.  After the head went all floppy Max became totally disinterested and went back to biting me and Eloise.

My next choice was an electronic mouse that made the same noise as a real mouse.  It also had the mandatory cat-toy company injection of catnip to entice your cat.  This mouse didn't need the catnip, the noise alone fascinated Max!

Max played with that toy incessantly.  He would carry it around with him and drop it in his food dish as he ate, no doubt to ensure that it didn't get away during feeding time.  Max ate with gusto.  He ate and pooped and ate and pooped until I began to call him Sir Poop-a-Lot.  It was astonishing how much he ate.  It dawned on me that the poor little bugger must have worms.  By this time I had decided to keep him so a trip to the vet was in order.


With his first shots and deworming done, it only took a few days before his appetite (and pooping habits) returned to normal for a kitten of his size.   Poor Maxie!  He took it in stride the same way he did everything and went right back to his over-amped antics in the house.  I wished I could let him run off his energy outdoors but two days after I brought him home, we had a snowstorm that dumped 20 inches of snow in 24 hours and then we were hit by a deep freeze that ensured nobody was going outside anytime soon.

With the sound from the electronic mouse gone, it only lasted 4 days, I went back to the store to pick up another one, this time carefully selecting one that still had the battery protective plastic tab in place.  I actually bought three different varieties of these mice, one plain one, one in a big cage-like ball and one on an elastic string that could be hung from a door.  It was electronic mouse heaven for Max although he still preferred his first love over the rest – even without the sound!

Those mice twittered without anyone even playing with them.  They twittered when you walked by them, they twittered if you dropped something, they twittered for no reason at all, they twittered ALL.THE.TIME.  It was like living in a mice-infested house.  Max loved it, Eloise was completely indifferent even though she was a hunter extraordinaire in the summer months.  Clearly she had investigated, determined these things were fakes and wanted nothing to do with them.

Check out the Max vs the Crock of Mice video

The Chronicles of Max - The Mice Are Conspiring
Chapter Two - The Mice are Conspiring http://designdreamsbyanne.blogspot.it/2015/03/the-chronicles-of-max-chapter-two.html
Posted by DesignDreams by Anne on Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Max continued to carry mouse #1 around the house, depositing it in among the pillows on my bed (only slightly less revolting than the odd dog chew that used to get buried in the bed) or in the cat food dishes.  His favourite new game was crawling around under the sofa. He was growing really fast at this stage and could barely fit under the couch anymore, but he loved it. Skitter, skitter, skitter – that’s all I heard while sitting on the couch.  He would crawl back and forth multiple times.  I was just as happy to let him do it, my dusting was getting done without the use of a vacuum or Swiffer.  Yay for me – score one for Max!

Come to think of it, Max was always underneath something – the sofa, the bed, the dining room table, or a box.  Or he would dive into any cabinet with an open door and slither around the contents until he was rooted out and sent about his business.  He certainly kept me busy.  I didn't have much time for anything except Max during those early days.  Kittens are a lot of work! 



Another of Max’s favourite things was running water.  The moment he figured out that a tap could be turned on to release all that lovely water, he began to chirp every time I used the bathroom or walked into the laundry room.  He figured out that the tap was turned on every morning when I brushed my teeth and it was a race into the bathroom every morning when I released him from the mudroom.  Our routine was already starting.  This boy liked routines. 

It was even funnier to watch him hover over a bathtub full of hot water.  He seemed convinced that he should be able to walk across the surface and attempted it so many times I was beginning to think he wasn’t as smart as I had thought he was.  Eventually he gave up that trick, but I see him eyeing the water every now and then as though he were still trying to understand why it didn’t work…




If you missed Chapter 1, click HERE  To see all the chapters, click HERE


20 comments:

  1. So sweet. Watched the video too what a cutie. Loved chapter 2 can't wait for chapter 3.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this makes me want a kitten! Max is so pretty! er, handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOSH- I am in LOVE with Max. He has the prerequisite "naughty" that I find appealing. lol He is just darling. The Maine Coon in him is so obvious- with the chirping. I can't tell by the pictures but I am betting he has the tufts of hair between his toes. I can't wait to see and hear more about him. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, he is so cute. And it's so nice that you found some things to distract him while he's in this stage!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally loving these stories Anne. I've always thought he was a beautiful cat and I love kittens for all the reasons you've listed above. They are so wild when they are kittens and though that can be a bit overwhelming years down the road when they are older you will remember and miss those days. At least I do, but enough about my thoughts and more about Max.........Smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Di! and you are so right, when he calms down and begins sleeping more through the days that are to come,I'll be missing the crazy stuff he used to do! xo

      Delete
  6. as a true & total cat lover
    i just think your (Mad) Max is the greatest
    he a beauty also
    keep the story coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Mad Max indeed! Thank you Linda, I'm glad you're enjoying the stories.

      Delete
  7. So much fun. I bought Miss Twiggley one of those mice with a battery and she loved it, but it didn't last long and I couldn't find a battery to replace it. She puts her toys in her water dish...who knows why? They all seem to have their funny little quirks. Max is such a pretty cat and I love hearing about him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne great chapter 2. Him with his toy and sitting in tub is priceless. Maybe he'll figure the water thing out. He's so smart. Like my Reeses. Too smart.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute!! Love the photo of Max in the tub waiting for the water.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love reading about Max and his adventures...poor Max...glad he is feeling better and pooping less....I see a children's book in Max!!!...love the pic of Max and the monkey...well the former monkey! Have a great weekend Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your chronicles! One of my cat also loves drinking from the bathtub tap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anne, I adore cats (have 6 rescues) and I enjoyed this post so much. The photos are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh at the video when Max made it into the bucket and scored his mouse, but then stopped to tend to his fur. Enjoying the Max tales!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Max is such a cutie!! I LOVE that first shot of him hugging his new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep the stories on Max coming! He is a hoot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a funny little guy! Thanks Donnamae!

      Delete
  16. I loved Max and the electronic mice, wonderful pictures too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!