A Tourist in My Own Town

At the end of May, a fellow blogger will be sharing posts written by bloggers across Canada who are acting as tourists in their own towns.  You'll get a tour through Canada - from sleepy towns to hot spots with  insider scoops on where to go and what to do!  For my American readers, this is a great year to travel to Canada with the exchange rate so hugely in your favour.  I'll be sharing links to the series on my Facebook page, so be sure to pop in there to catch up on all the cool places you can visit - click HERE to like my Facebook page.   Meanwhile, I'm sharing my tour with you today.

Welcome to Kimberley, British Columbia!  

I've moved many times in my life, from one end of Canada to the other and back.  These days I live in one of the most majestic areas of Canada. Kimberley is located in the southeastern corner of British Columbia, near the Alberta and Montana borders.  It is in a valley between the Canadian Rocky Mountains and the Purcell Mountain Range.  We have views like this to enjoy:



and a super cute downtown shopping district known as "the Platzl".  


We have great restaurants and quaint coffee shops:




Over 100 kilometers (62 miles) of trails through old growth forests in town:




A paved trail for walking, biking, skateboarding and blading that runs from our community to Cranbrook, British Columbia, that is 30km (18 miles) away.



A creek that flows from one end to the other of town, this photo is taken near my house:


Lots of local lakes and rivers - fly fishing is very popular out here.  So is whitewater rafting.

We have a nature park fully contained within city limits that covers over 800 hectares (1800 acres).

We enjoy an extremely low crime rate, friendly people and pretty neighbourhoods, Kimberley feels a lot like Mayberry, USA (from the Andy Griffith Show).




We also have a ski hill inside city limits that is family oriented and has a vertical rise of 2465 ft (751 m).  From the end of December to the middle of March, we generally get A LOT OF SNOW.  That's not my favourite thing... You can see a small portion of our ski hill in the upper right hand area of the next photo - this is the part that is lit up for night skiing during the winter months.  There are much larger slopes behind that front portion.



Most of the trails around here are used for cross-country skiing during the winter months.  I can literally pack my skis for one block, strap them on and ski to my heart's content for free.  


This is part of the paved trail I showed in an earlier photo.  This trail gets plowed on a regular basis, so walking it is possible, too.  We also have a huge Nordic ski area at the ski hill that is groomed and lit for night-time skiing. If you want to ski two hills in the same weekend, you can spend one day at the Kimberley Alpine Resort and head over to the Fernie Alpine Resort which is an hour away and a completely different ski experience.

There's an aquatic centre in the heart of town, two arenas and a beautiful local garden covering 5 hectares that is free to the public.   

Our local campground is a huge draw - the Kimberley Riverside Campground is located on the banks of the St Mary River and is only a few years old.  It has a pool, an 18 hole putting course, loads of campsites for tents and RVs with either full or partial services.  It gets rave reviews from anyone who uses it and people come back year after year.  

Photo by Jarret Bell, Campground Manager
There's a cute little pioneer town about 45 minutes away called Fort Steele Heritage Town that has been around since the Gold Rush days.  It has been maintained in its original state.  There are demonstrations of old time skills as well as hayrides and gold-panning. 

There's an annual rodeo held just south of Kimberley every summer and one of the warmest lakes in British Columbia can be found half an hour away at Wasa.  It's located in a provincial park with camping available. 

There are hot springs an hour and a half north of us at Radium Hot Springs.  Golf courses are dotted all over the place out here with all different types of terrain and views.  If you're a golfer, you might recognize the name Les Furber - the designer of several of the local courses.

We're only 3 hours from Banff and Lake Louise, Alberta.  Here are some views from that area:




Hauntingly beautiful, isn't it?  

I hope you've enjoyed this tour of my part of Canada.  

Cheers!

p.s. In case you're wondering, the photos shown are from all seasons.  :)



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!




Instagram

17 comments:

  1. Good morning Anne, ok I am on my way now ok???? get the guest bedroom ready

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Anne tell Christine to move over in that guest room because I am coming too!!!! How absolutely beautiful. Ahhhhh to live in such beauty. Enjoyed this tour with you.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place to live. I've never been "out west" in Canada, and you sure are making me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The downtown is so cute and idyllic. The last two photos take my breath away. I love the river flowing and the glaciers on the slopes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to do this tour. I enjoyed the first tour. Beautiful landscape. Downtown looks like a great place

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You live in a Hallmark movie. So lovely. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect way to put it Gerry! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Yes! Beautiful tour! Will have to visit Kimberly soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! Your area is absolutely spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- your town is both adorable and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful town! And I was wondering, thought I saw a bit of Fall and Spring too. It was nice seeing the different seasons.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The area looks very beautiful, I really enjoyed seeing the landscape around your cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, we're moving up there! Oh, it's so beautiful, Anne! My kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say that going to the Canadian Rockies was one of my most favorite trips of all....beauty everywhere...I got up at 5am every morning to watch the sunrise over Lake Louise...a most majestic sight...I would love to explore Canada more...your area is amazing...in every season!...Going to love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne you can get a job in tourism. These pictures are enchanting and your post could sell vacation deals!
    Your town, through your eyes, is beautiful.
    Looks like it has it all, history, views, activities, even hot springs.
    I was partial to the creek, imagining playing there with my daughter, making paper boats and letting them sail away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, idyllic, breathtaking. And a whole lot of other adjectives that I'm sure still can't do justice to this very special place. You're blessed to live there. Thanks for sharing your fabulous photos, Anne. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!