Turquoise Hutch


Another day, another dining room makeover!  After I scored my new linen drapes a few weeks back, the one thing in my dining room that stuck out like a sore thumb was the colour I painted my hutch last year...   Although I love the way the hutch turned out, that shade of grey/green just did NOT work with the wall colour.

It also didn't fit with the rest of my decor, so guess what?  I painted it again!!  In aqua.  I have an awful lot of  aqua paint on hand...




I left the inside of the hutch in the original light aqua (a much lighter shade than the new colour) and I painted the handles first in flat white which I hated and then I painted over the top of the white with the darkest shade of my aqua paint.  Now they look kind of verdigris.


Of course I distressed the heck  out of  them, too.   I began by painting the hutch in mint but that didn't look any better with the tan walls than the original grey/green... UGH.   Paint job #2 was a darker shade of the mint.   All my aqua/turquoise/mint shades are created by adding white paint to this horrible can of green paint I bought 5 years ago.  It's taken me forever to use up that can of paint but I've almost used it all up now.  I have just enough for a few more projects!

My dining room:


and my new hutch:


 I am in love with this new look.  A little distressing, a little wax, a buff job - sigh... so pretty!



I painted it with a brush and only one coat of paint so you can see the mint through the brush strokes
.


And if you don't remember what this piece used to look like or if you want details on how I made over the original 1970s piece, click on the photo below:



Happy creating!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



31 comments:

  1. Great job Anne. I love the color. It looks bright and pretty in your dining room. Have a great start to the new week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty, I really like aqua on anything. Now are you going to paint the door in the corner to match?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful! I thought about painting the door like Julie said too :o]

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great makeover:-)
    I'm looking for similar hutch to paint! I love the color you chose.
    Greetings:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Greetings to you too!

      Delete
  5. You have a cozy, light filled dining space Anne. The bolder hutch colour looks great against the tan walls and I like how you carried the colour to the tray on the table. Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, Anne, the new color just pops in that room, and I love the accents of color that match!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty Anne ... love the color and it looks great against that wall.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so pretty in the new aqua colour, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new color Anne!....and yes, I can certainly see why you are very happy with the way it turned out...The mint showing through is a great effect...great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you are doing to each room of your home Anne! My hutch is white but I'm thinking about wanting something different...maybe gray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome choice on the color, Anne! What a great piece for your lovely dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This hutch is GORGEOUS! I'm actually in the middle of painting our old hutch right now and am leaning towards a shade of blue-gray-green. Yours is great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooooh the new color is beautiful and adds such a nice pop of color in the room. It's picking up the color from your chair cushions quite nicely too. Very pretty Anne!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a similar hutch but it is maple and from 1948. I want to paint it but that maple is gorgeous and my mother almost had a stroke when I told her. I love the aqua Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry Anne playing catch up. I LOVE this transformation, perfection!!!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember when you first painted the hutch. It looked great then, but I have to say it looks even better in aqua :-) It's really a stand-out piece in your dining room now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty color, Anne. It's a real statement piece now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anne your hutch looks amazing! love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the hutch and the color you painted it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great makeover on the hutch! It is perfect with the wicker chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! Love the color... thank you for sharing it! I'd love to have you over for my "Let's Talk Vintage!" link party .... the link stays open for almost a week. Pop on over if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great new look! I stopped by the other day, but got interrupted before I could leave a comment, so I thought I would return today and say what a nice job you did. It is kinda amazing what a little paint can do to transform something.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great new look! I stopped by the other day, but got interrupted before I could leave a comment, so I thought I would return today and say what a nice job you did. It is kinda amazing what a little paint can do to transform something.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great color! I loved how you painted it before, but this is fabulous, too. The color looks happy in your room :)
    Jamie | anderson + grant

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the new colour. I also really liked the one you chose last year, but I agree the now softer one goes better with your walls.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the idea of transforming old 1970's furniture into updated French Country beauties and your piece is no exception Anne. Beautiful color and wonderful job. Thank you for sharing at SYS and have a great week!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!