Life with Max Part 6 - Cat on an Asphalt Roof

Chapter Six – Cat on an Asphalt Roof

Mercifully spring finally arrived and Max was allowed to roam around the yard and learn the ropes of being outdoors. He scampered out the door every morning and investigated the fence line. I always let him and Eloise out right after getting out of bed so they could get some fresh air before I went to work and brought them back inside for the day. The weather was frosty but there was no snow anymore.





Max was pretty good for the first week.  He came back to the house when I called and gobbled up his breakfast. Then one morning, one very dark and frosty morning, I heard an enormous bang coming from outside. I raced out to see what had caused the noise but could see nothing from my deck railing. I called his name but nothing... It was very dark still and no sign of either cat in the yard.  I went back in and began making breakfast.  While working in the kitchen I could hear something above me, so I went out on the deck again to see what was going on.  There was Max sitting on the roof of the laundry room addition. He seemed unperturbed and completely unwilling to come to me. I called, I climbed up on the deck railing to get close to the edge of the roof. Max took off to the far side of the roof.  Clearly Max was NOT coming down now.

I gave up and went indoors where I could hear him marching back and forth. Have I mentioned that Max is not soft-footed?  He stomps.  Inside it was like living in “The Night Before Christmas” – there arose such a clatter…  No, no, it’s just Max walking on the roof. Sigh.

After an hour of frosty toes, he wasn't so enthusiastic about being on the roof anymore. And he was afraid to jump over the gutter to get back down to the railing where he had evidently launched himself onto the roof. This time he came near the edge when I called and I was able to grab him and bring him back inside.

Max being Max of course had to get back on the roof every time I let him outdoors. And I got to climb up onto the railing or get a ladder out to get him down multiple times a day.  After a week of trolling around the laundry addition roof, he graduated to the peak of the main house where he marched back and forth like some sentry on duty. I wondered what the neighbours thought of this cat up on the peak of the roof of my house and of me circling the house in my bathrobe calling to him.  Maybe they didn't even notice the cat and only saw me out there.  Who knows??  Yeah that’s the crazy lady who lives next door, I think she’s losing it.



Whenever a bird chanced to land on the roof, Max went after it with his usual gusto freaking me out if I happened to be outside to witness. Plus I was really worried about Max jumping from one frosty and slippery roof to the other but I didn't have the time to stand and watch him play reindeer games. Fortunately he made so much noise jumping around up there, I could tell when he was in descent mode and go out to pull him off the lower roof.  It took several months for Max to get over the fun of walking the roof and I gained another few grey hairs. Bloody cat!


Max’s next adventure involved getting to know the rest of his neighbourhood. He must have liked what he had seen from the roof. I would see him sitting in the middle of the driveway looking around.  Worse, I would find him at the edge of the street, poised to leap in front of a car but getting scared away with the sound of the approaching engine.  He would try to follow Eloise whose main quest was to lose him as quickly as possible leaving him wandering aimlessly around somebody's front yard. What he (and I) didn't bargain for was that two of my neighbours despised cats.

His first unfortunate encounter was with Our-Lady-of-the-Rake. An elderly woman who lives close by and spends quite a lot of time in her garden fascinated Max. Plus there were wind chimes and bird feeders and gazing balls in her yard.  Max hadn't seen seen another person since I first brought him home in November and this woman was digging and doing interesting things on the other side of the fence from where Max was lying. He watched her for quite a while and then hopped over the fence to say hello in his best “Hey there I’m Max don’t you just love me???” stance only to have her start, screech at him and then grab a rake and chase him all around her yard before he managed to figure out how to get back home. Poor little bugger. Once back on home turf he ran straight for the back door where I was waiting for him. He climbed on the couch and stayed huddled there for a long, long time until he regained his composure. This experience had been like watching a video replay of  Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit.

A few weeks later, he met neighbour-with-a-hate-on-for-cats #2. I was weeding one of my garden beds when I heard a whole lot of shouting going on. Suddenly Max appeared on the top of a fence running for dear life toward a section where he could jump onto a tree and get down to the ground on the other side when this neighbour smacked him soundly with a broom, sending him off-balance and almost careening to the ground.

I was quite shocked to say the least. I do not understand the need to strike an animal with something (especially when the animal is already running away from you!) but I guess all’s fair when the cats stray onto someone else’s turf. At least Max wasn't hurt and had learned (hopefully) to stay the heck away from people.  He did stick to the back yard for most of the next two months which made me extremely happy.  It was a pleasure to let him out knowing that he wasn't leaving the yard and couldn't get into too much trouble.  He climbed trees, hung out in the dog house, checked out the decks and workshop and sniffed around the fence line.  Life was good again!


Growing up is so hard!!!

Incidentally, both neighbours are ok with Max now. He won them over the same way he won me over - sheer persistence!

Stay tuned for Chapter 7!

If you want to catch up on the earlier chapters, click on the photo:






23 comments:

  1. He is so gorgeous! They are all so pretty, and I love the first two, so regal. Can he jump off the roof now? xoox Su

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max is determined - to say the least. I've never seen a cat go up on the roof. Funny!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chapter and the pictures are some of your best. What a great portrait of Max in the bed and standing in the doorway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chapter and the pictures are some of your best. What a great portrait of Max in the bed and standing in the doorway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne,
    Another great chapter on Max. Learning his boundaries can be hard lessons. Glad the two cat haters now tolerate him. Have a great rest of the week. Looking forward to the next chapter.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoying your stories about your cats. Max is so beautiful. I know you enjoy him, regardless of any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol... poor Max getting him with the broom! I'm glad he has won them over though.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Max is certainly a character, but glad he won the neighbors over!....and I love the title to this story...Had to laugh Anne....oh that Max...he brings us such laughter...but I guess sometimes you are not laughing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad Max was persistent. I would hate to think that the lady with the rake might hit him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful kity. I love your Max stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra! I'm glad you're enjoying the series!

      Delete
  11. I love your stories and Max. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to laugh at your idea of getting grey hair due to Max, because my cats sure give me some!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cats can be such a worry too ,we too have so many stories when they don't come home when you need them too. It must be difficult when it is so icy! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe he made it up on your roof top and didn't freak out that he couldn't get down himself. You really had me laughing at how you discovered his newest hang out, but I must say, you dealt with it quite well. I think I would have been a bit frantic! Thanks for the laughs and looking forward the next chapter with Max the little charmer :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. How could anyone not love Max, he's so filled with personality and a zest for life :-) Your neighbours went a bit overboard, but at least they're in Max's corner now :-) With all the mischief Max gets into, you're going to have a new chapter to write every day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful cat!! He has a great personality.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful cat!! He has a great personality.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is a cutie...love his adventures! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there,
    Just wondering when we will have Chapter 7 of the Life of Max. It was always a highlight for me as I love cats and have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! There will be more chapters coming, I promise!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!