Simple Changes for a Summery Cottage Style Look

This weekend I made some very simple and effective changes to my living and dining room that really ramped up the cottage style look I love so much.


I had two lucky breaks to kick things off - first I scored 3 sets of creamy white Ikea Aina linen drapes for a total price of $15 at a yard sale (WHOOP WHOOP!!!!!!).  Thanks to the stitch witchery that Ikea loves so much, it was easy to pull the hems apart and re-iron them to the length I wanted.



I pulled down the brown velvet drapes and swapped the linen ones in for the summer months - what a huge difference it made!

BEFORE


AFTER:



I also removed the electric stove for the summer.  Excuse the inevitable photobomb from Max.

DINING ROOM BEFORE:



AFTER:

In case you're wondering, I took the leaf out of the table...

Another cottagey feel change came thanks to a project I did not too long ago.  A few weeks back I ordered some beadboard textured wallpaper from Graham & Brown to fix the ugly, bumpy walls in my broom closet 


(click HERE for that update).  

I had ordered one extra roll of wallpaper in case I screwed up my cuts but the wallpaper was much easier to work with than I anticipated & there was no pattern match to worry about so I had lots left over.  In fact, I had enough wallpaper to do 2 more projects (but Project #2 is a coming attraction).  For a long, long time I've wanted to change up my Markor bookcases.  I painted them with chalky finish paint a few years ago and although I love them, they looked kinda plain.

BEFORE:


AFTER:

Can you believe how much of a difference this made?  Those bookcases went from pretty to awesomely charming!

Here's the paper I used:  Walldoctor Beadboard Pre-pasted .  It only took 3 - 70" lengths of wallpaper to do both bookcases.

Some closeups so you can see how fabulous this wallpapered backing looks  and best of all, only scissors and water needed to install it!



I am in love with bead board...

Have a wonderful week!


Disclaimer:  I have partnered with Graham & Brown to demonstrate some of their products. Although I received free merchandise in exchange my review, the opinions stated are entirely my own. 

25 comments:

  1. Super changes Anne. Love the lighter curtains and the bookcase

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Anne. Love the beadboard. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great change in the living room and dining room! It really does have a fresh seaside summer look. The bookcases do look so much better with the beadboard paper ... thanks for the idea! I love the look of beadboard too, and have it in my kitchen :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, it made a huge difference in the bookcase and the broom closet looks great! You did a great job! xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, you brought the light summer colours in! Love the white curtains! Perfect for a summer dining room.
    Have a happy happy time
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beadboard wallpaper is great stuff and easy to work with. It adds lots of cottage charm to your bookcases and you've styled them so nicely.
    Great score on the draperies, they add a lightness to the space for the summer months.

    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new curtains look so light and airy for spring and summer. What a score. I love it when that happens! I also love the big plant in the corner. I have to say, though, the winner of the cottage look transformation goes to your shelves. They're just amazing! SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new curtains look so light and airy for spring and summer. What a score. I love it when that happens! I also love the big plant in the corner. I have to say, though, the winner of the cottage look transformation goes to your shelves. They're just amazing! SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beadboard wallpaper was a dramatic change for the closet and bookcases. I would love to use it in our basement kitchen cupboards. I am planning to take doors off this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your drapes....a summery feel for sure. I think the beadboard wallpaper looks great. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great look Anne ... beadboard paper looks like the real stuff. I bought some for wallpaper, but have not used it yet. I did paper the entry with the stucco paper and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to get some of that wallpaper. All of your changes have added even more cottage charm to your home! !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow it looks great Anne! I love that wall paper, I used it in my vintage trailer! And the curtains really lighten and brighten up things, great score!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your house looks great, Anne! It is amazing how even a few things can completely change a room. That wallpaper is fab.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the summer transformation....the drapes especially gave the rooms such a fresh look...and love the bookcases...I have backed my white bookcases with grasscloth...love how you did yours with the bead board wallpaper!...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your fresh summer redo! Always amazing what a few simple changes can do. Makes you feel good too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your lighter drapes. The beadboard looks fantastic.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great Anne. I love the lighter feel of the new drapes. So pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great find on the new drapes. They look wonderful and definitely lighten up the rooms for summer. Love the idea of the beadboard wall paper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hard to believe that beadboard wallpaper makes such a difference when you have the shelves pretty full of things, but it does! I like the new curtains much better as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your summery look.

    Thanks a lot! You just added to my feeling tonight that I need to make changes in the house. I am all of a sudden feeling like every flat surface needs changing. I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the new lighter curtains and the baseboard paper you added to the bookcases gives them the perfect Cottage look!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Relaxing looking. The curtains and paper make a differenece. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!