DIY Vintage Washstand with Towel Bar



I have wanted a vintage washstand with a towel bar for a long, long time. Unfortunately, this type of cabinet doesn't seem to ever come up for sale in my part of the world so my challenge began! How am I going to recreate this look??

I think I did pretty well!  

My main goal this year is to clear out my workshop of as much of the hoarded materials as I can.  I am tired of clutter!  I began to assemble a pile of components that I could use for this project.


Here's a look at the materials I re-used:

Desk top (I dismantled and got rid of this desk)
Easel (no longer used, took it apart)
Shelf over sideboard (was replaced with a hutch topper last year)
Leftover pine from kitchen window sills
Leftover bead board paneling from the front porch ceiling redo

Desktop
Easel
Legs
Shelf

In addition to these pieces, I bought 2 table legs from Ikea and picked out wood casters from D Lawless Hardware
Ikea Lalle Table Legs
Solid wood casters from D Lawless Hardware
I had to buy quarter round trim, 1/2" doweling and 2 - 1x3x8s to build the doors, but all the other components came from the wood pile in my shop.



My inspiration came from a story about a house in Newfoundland that I found on Houzz .  Check out this darling little cabinet:


WANT IT!!!!!!!!  I knew it was going to be a stretch for me to recreate this piece, I'm no cabinet maker...  Still, I'm never daunted anymore at the prospect of reaching beyond my current skill set to try something new.

Here is my version:


How I built this:



I began by cutting the 2x2s down to the height I wanted.  I went with 32" because I knew the casters and dresser top would add to the height.

I cut the desk top (3/4" cabinet grade maple plywood) into panels for the back and sides. The sides are 15" x 28" and the back panel is 25 1/2" x 28".   Then I attached the legs to the sides using glue and 2" brad nails. Then I attached the sides to the back.  The corners are secured with 2" deck screws that are countersunk into the legs.  To keep the cabinet square, I added a 2x2x25 1/2" across the front below the doors and a 1x2x25 1/2 across the front at the top of the doors.

The base of the cabinet is a piece of pine that was cut to fit around the legs.  I added 1x2 crosspieces under the sides to dress up the look.

The top is 3 pieces of 3/4" cabinet grade maple plywood that are 6 1/2" x 30".

Here is the very ugly pieced together box with all the caulking I had to do to fix it up:



With the base cabinet assembled, I measured for the towel rack.  I laid out the legs with a piece of 1x4 molding across the top of the dresser box.  I used a Kreg jig to attach the legs to the 1x4 and then I laid out a piece of 1/2" doweling across the upper portion and drew a pencil line across the inner legs to show where I was going to drill the holes for the doweling to be inserted.  I allowed 1/2" on each side for the insert and my dowel is 6" down from the top of the leg.  Then I had to unscrew one side to allow for the holes to be drilled.



I used the Kreg jig to attach the towel bar portion to the top of the dresser box and added quarter round on either side to help stabilize the whole thing.  Once assembled, I realized it would have been better to attach the assembly across the back of the dresser, but it was too late...

Building the doors was an exercise in frustration.  My first attempt included using a Kreg jig which went horribly wrong when I discovered I didn't have the right length of screws (I have to buy them online).  I chucked out my first attempt and began again. GAH!  Ultimately, I used my finish nail gun to hold the styles and rails together and then I traced out the exact size of the openings to cut the bead board to size.  It had to be hammered (lightly!) into place and secured with paintable caulking.  The tight fit and caulking should hold the pieces in place easily.




Quarter round molding attached to the front & sides of the dresser top finishes off the edges.  A coat of primer and two coats of Benjamin Moore Simply White paint plus the vintage look casters and some ceramic knobs I got from HomeSense years ago and never used pulled the look together.

Totally in love with my creation!





Incidentally, the whole cottage that is featured on Houzz is darling.  I'm so inspired by the look.  Check out the whole tour HERE

And if you want to see my new cottage style bathroom, click HERE

Happy creating!

44 comments:

  1. wow Anne! that is an awesome knockoff for sure! Using the ikea legs was brilliant!

    gail
    ps pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Anne! that is an awesome knockoff for sure! Using the ikea legs was brilliant!

    gail
    ps pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Anne! ... what Gail Said....;)
    this turned out absolutely wonderful. I do know what you mean about ...chucking the first try and starting over. Those doors can be tricky!
    This turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job! Talented girl, you are!!! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous! Your one talented lady! I love what your doing in your house, inside and out. This project is beautiful and I like it better than the one that inspired you! Great Job Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you rocked this one, it's fabulous. When I first started reading this, I didn't realize you built this one. I thought you bought it this way because it looks so genuine. And I love it in white!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,
    You knocked it out with this one. I like yours better than the inspiration. I like the detail to the cabinet doors. Soooo pretty. You did great. You go girl with your DIY talents.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Gulp* Um, wow!

    Shocking, really how talented you are. I am in awe of you, Anne!

    It's weird to think those commodes actually once housed nasty chamber pots! : - )

    Now they make the best little cabinets! Yours is one of the cutest ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous job, Anne! Who knew you could buy legs like that? That Newfoundland cabinet looks a lot like mine, I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne you are so talented! Who would have thought to use legs to make the towel bar.
    I have an antique dry sink and I must say your replica is so authentic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cripes Anne, you keep blowing my mind with your amazing projects! You really outdid yourself this time - I think your version is even better than the inspiration piece! Never would have thought to use legs to create the top part. You're a genius! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so impressed by your handiwork. You did a fabulous job on re-creating the vintage wash stand and what a great idea to flipping the table legs to create the back piece.
    I will definitely check out the cottage in Newfoundland.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love this Anne! The legs up top were ingenious!! Great job!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Rock Star did it again. Better than the real thing. Yours has better detail

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing. I think the piece turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am blown away! This has got to be one of your most impressive endeavours to date Anne. What a great job you did! So impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am blown away! This has got to be one of your most impressive endeavours to date Anne. What a great job you did! So impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, Annie ... I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anne..... You knocked this off alright, right off of the knock off chart!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an incredible job you did! I can't believe that you made it from scratch. It looks like an antique!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous job you did on your washstand! Really cute!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you did an amazing job with this transformation! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne, you have to know I think you are Amazing!!! Sooo impressive...not only your skill but also being able to realize your vision! This washstand is absolutely darling.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anne!
    Wow, you are amazing, I had to look at it twice after you listed your supplies, I was thinking she didn't use the IKEA legs and then Duh...yes you did...oh my gosh your outcome is beautiful!
    I know about that home in Newfoundland, and love that style of seaside decorating!
    Love your washstand!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! That home is so pretty - now I want to paint all my doors different colours! Happy Monday!

      Delete
  25. I'm not sure if my last comment went through or not! I just wanted to tell you that I love the cabinet and now I want one too! :) Seriously, it's absolutely gorgeous... you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm pretty happy with this piece :)

      Thanks for visiting & commenting!

      Delete
  26. Oh, my! Yours is as pretty if not more than the one in your inspiration picture! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's beautiful!! I've always wanted a washstand as well. Washstand-dry sink same thing? You are very creative and did a superb job. You should be very proud of yourself! Visiting from Amaze Me Monday. Have a great week! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I went back and forth between washstand and dry sink 20 times before settling on washstand as the name most people would recognize! Thanks so much Diane!!

      Delete
  28. This is over the top magnificent....You have such great vision and you carry that vision into something amazing!!! This washstand is too darn cute!....Jaw dropping, drop dead gorgeous!...Love that you added the casters too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That washstand is just lovely Anne, you really did a wonderful job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anne, you are amazing. I totally LOVE this project and your vision to build it!!
    Thank you for sharing it at Shabbilicious Friday. I'm delighted to be featuring it at tomorrow's party and I know my readers will love it too. Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Anne, you totally impressed me with your carpentry skills! I love your washstand and am featuring it this weekend at the DIY Sunday Showcase Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant! You rock, my talented DIY friend. Your washstand has so much character and charm. I expect a DIY book from you in the near future. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an amazing job you did. You couldn't find what you wanted, so you built your own. I'm impressed. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anne way to go!! It is beautiful, and you did it by yourself. You amaze me. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow... I'm so impressed! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to tackle that project but you did so great!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anne! Your talent is inspiring! I absolutely love how you pieced this together and so professionally done! You are amazing! Sharing this as a feature this week on Making Broken Beautiful!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this so much! What a genius idea using the IKEA legs. It looks amazing - great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!