Home Office Makeover - Organizing, Purging & New Furniture

I have TOO MUCH STUFF! Are you feeling the same way lately? Sometimes I wonder if this need to purge and edit is related to the position of the stars and moon, everyone I talk to seems to be feeling this way.

I had this huge old office desk in my kind of tiny home office which is made even smaller by the HUGE wardrobe I refuse to part with that is stored in here as well.  Soooo I took the desk apart and reused the desk top for my pretty new washstand project, took one side of the drawers to the dump and repurposed the other side of drawers as a stand alone filing cabinet (project still in progress).

I found a sweet little console table type computer desk for sale online and scooped it for $30.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:


And this is what it looks like now:




I love that grey!!!!  The drawer front drops down so it can be used as a keyboard tray, but I just keep my laptop in the drawer.  Here's the full shot (and we won't talk about how much stuff I have on those shelves)


And this is just one of the cluttered corners of the room, sigh...  You can see the early stages of my filing cabinet creation on the right side of the photo. It's pretty makeshift right now.  I have big plans for that little metal cabinet!!!

This is how the office looked last year with the huge desk plonked in the middle of the room:


I did like the look but truth be told, I never used the space. Ever.

My wardrobe which I adore is over on the other side of the room:


Photobomb from Max doing his impression of a stuffed animal.

To make up for the lack of desk space, I used the shelves at the side of the wardrobe as my desktop computer station.  I have the desktop and my printer/scanner side by side.  More editing required of these shelves. And you wouldn't believe how much stuff I kept relocating to the other side of the room for every shot I took.


See the cute bunting banner?  That was hand made for me by my dear friend, Carol, from Art & Sand Blog.  She has to be one of the sweetest, kindest women in Blogland.

The piece of wood is to keep Max the pain in the butt cat from chewing all the wires.   Here's a wider angle shot of that corner.  Funny how the grey of the desk is almost identical to the grey of the wardrobe.  The desk grey is leftover paint from a colour match I did to the siding on my house!


I moved my cube console table under the window and added some cute knobs with label holders to it that I got from D Lawless Hardware.



I want to repaint the walls and work on the filing cabinet as well as continue with my purging and editing, but so far so good!  Loving my new office space.  AND I have the space to do my yoga practice in here as well now.  Ahhhh the zen of it all...

Have a great one!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



Instagram


Sharing with:


Share Your Style     Show & Share

Wow us Wednesdays

40 comments:

  1. I like your new computer desk, it looks a lot like mine! I purged a LOT when we moved, so I'm not feeling I have too much house decor stuff but still have lots of children stuff in boxes (puzzles, toys, games) and my youngest is 21!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great! Love the new computer desk. Keep that cabinet, it looks like a great spot for storage. The little metal cabinet is going to be an awesome piece.
    I moved our big office armoire up to my studio hobby room for more hidden storage. I'm trying to downsize office stuff in our family room and plan to make our old farmhouse dining table narrower to use as a computer desk for our family room. With only one left in high school I gave away a lot of school supplies etc. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good!!! Love that Max.........he chews wires??? My Annie chews plastic bags!!! Gotta love 'em.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, love 'em that's what it is... bloody cat! lol Thanks Cleo!

      Delete
  4. I'm always told by Mr.WWH that I have too much stuff!
    One day I'll purge....
    Love your new desk and your office space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy,Anne, this is timely. I'm in the throes of setting up my office/sewing room/diva cave and I need inspiration. I love your new desk and that wardrobe is fabulous. (Actually, I'd like something like that in our bedroom. . .the wardrobe, I mean.) So glad I saw your post in my inbox this morning. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, you did it again...you always make the most amazing things by taking a part of this and a part of that and working your magic! Love the new desk....great makeover...and yes, your theory is right...the moon and stars must be aligning in the that "get rid of your stuff" phase...Great new office space and love the fantastic hardware from D. Lawless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great new office space Anne. You did a great job and love the new desk. The armoire is so perfect for storage too. Have a great start to the new week. You rocked this!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! I hope you are enjoying your new look! It is very chic looking. Love the open shelving over the desk. Can not wait to see your inspiration for the metal file cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got rid of a lot of stuff when we moved 1 1/2 years ago to a much smaller house. I am still getting rid of stuff as I tackle each room in our current home.
    You've been a busy girl designing and arranging your office. The new desk was a great find and I love the two tone look you gave it.
    Gotta love cats, they are the ultimate photo bombers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my desk is quite similar also, i got it for $10 at a restore 7 yrs. ago it was painted black on the bottom and the top was blonde wood with a big red stain on it, i have kept the black but have painted the top a couple of times and i still love it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a steal!! I find myself actually using this desk whereas the other one sat unused 90% of the time. Small desks ROCK. Have a great week! xo

      Delete
  11. Like your new desk:-) It's really great.
    I try to get rid of a lot of stuff once in a while. I'm not a type of a magpie, at least I try not to be one:-)
    Greetings:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to get rid of things on a regular basis, but since I began this renovation process I have lost my way... Thanks for visiting!

      xo

      Delete
  12. Love what you came up with for your needs. Great cabine, I can see why you don't part with the piece. Have a great beginning of the week

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sofa table is the perfect size for a workstation and looks so much better once your creative hands got to it. Your kitty really does look like a stuffed animal on that shelf - so adorable! Both of my kids moving out over the last few years has been a fabulous way to purge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! You are so organized! I don't think I will ever get my craft room organized. LOL

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new desk looks amazing now in grey! It all looks really good in there and I love the open shelves!
    I can see why you can't part with that wardrobe, it's beautiful!
    We have moved twice with work transfers in a short amount of time, forcing me to purge...although I must say, I've acquired a bunch of stuff lately...must be time to move again soon?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your office. I have far too much stuff, too. sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! It's such a balancing act, isn't it? We like our stuff but sometimes it just starts to get overwhelming!! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  17. It's looking great Anne! And yes, I've been feeling like I need to purge too and I have been doing some of that!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was reading along and I spotted the CREATE banner - I had forgotten about it. Then I read your sweet shout out.

    I like the way you painted that new long skinny table.

    And in answer to your very first question as to whether I am feeling like I have too much stuff - absolutely! I am trying to use up supplies and lighten the load around here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous job Anne!! I love the new space you created and the smaller desk is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it with the smaller desk and what's great about it is that you are using the space more!

    Rondell♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too much stuff hey? I don't think so! That desk turned out great Anne, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your new office space looks great and I love the new look of the console table and Max getting into the act! Your banner from Carol is lovely too, she is such a talented friend and always gives me so much inspiration. I have recently been reading Marie Kondo's book "The life-changing magic of tidying", her philosophy is only keeping things that give you joy. It has helped me reduce things even further in our house. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great inspiration for me who wants to downsize my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the transformation. The cottage look works well in that room and I bet you are happier with the coziness of your new space.

    Enjoy your new room,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janet! I am much happier with this space. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  25. I am feeling the same way. My house is full of stuff I liked 10 or even 20 years ago. My tastes have evolved, but the house has stayed the same. I'd love to clear away half of it! I think you're smart to edit and purge. A freshening up of your decor keeps things current. And best of all, it's creative. Looking forward to seeing the next round of changes Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks nice and tidy, with a place for everything.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sooo glad you kept the armoire, love that piece. Isn't it freeing to finally get rid of some "stuff"? Even if it's just a little at a time. Looking great, Anne, and much more spacious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, Anne. Max, is one kooky cat! Eating wires! I love the new shade of blue on the desk, and an armoire is great for storage for the extra stuff. I use one for dishes and one for linens, because I think I have too much stuff! It's just hard to part with linens and dishes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Could you please fly down to Georgia and work your magic!! Amazing space. Love the desk! It looks fabulous painted gray. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Could you please fly down to Georgia and work your magic!! Amazing space. Love the desk! It looks fabulous painted gray. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've worked your magic again Anne! The narrow desk is a much better fit and suits the space so well - it looks great with the grey paint! I have far too much stuff too (from my parents' house!!). I tried to unload some on my brother when he visited, and he agreed, but then didn't take anything away with him! I was "this" close!! I think he would love for me to cover the cost of shipping it all out to him in BC. ugh. So seeing your idea of "clutter" (ha!) is rather refreshing ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's wonderful what a bit of furniture removals will do right? Just shifting things around and changing up some pieces can really make a big difference to the feeling of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I`m in love with that wardrobe, would never part with it. I`d rather made a desktop station and a home for printer inside it:) But this little shelf-desk with stools is a fantastic idea too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!