Stylish Cat Bed from a Crate



My Max has impeccable taste! His all-time favourite spot to sleep in is an old fruit crate that I decked out for him when he was tiny and had to sleep in the laundry room while my other cat, Eloise, got used to him being around.

Now, of course, they sleep like this:


or this




or this


But at night, they usually fight over this crate:



Such a simple thing to create as well.

I took this old yard sale fruit crate and scrubbed it out with Murphy's Oil Soap and water.  Then I left it out in the sun to dry.  I was going to use it on the wall as a shelf, so I painted the inner bottom of the crate.


Then Max came along...

Max the troublemaker, Max the little stinker, Max the bane of Eloise's existence causing him to be banished to the laundry room to wait it out until she accepted him.

So I threw a piece of rug underlayment (the cheapo kind you buy for preventing rugs from slipping) on the bottom of the crate.  When you fold it up, it's kinda spongy.  Then I used an old bath sheet or two to create a warm bed.  It looked uncomfortable to me with the wood edge that they like to rest their chins on, so I added a scarf I had been knitting but got bored with  especially for this purpose.


I put the crate on my laundry work table so Max has a full view of the yard and lots of sun during the day.  Now both cats fight over who gets to sleep in the crate.  Go figure...

Have a great weekend!



If you want to hear more about my life with Max, check out the series I've been writing HERE


25 comments:

  1. Loved this post. What a beautiful bed it turned out to be. You may have to put together another one now. :) I have put out bread baskets, table trays and flower baskets only to find in a day or two it has become another cat bed. Oh well....Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great and creative and oh so stylish kitty bed. What a fun and comfy bed. You can tell by the look on Max's face he loves it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too cute. Max is stylin in his new bed. LOVE IT!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cats are great and the idea with an old fruit box as a cat's bed appeals to me. It looks great:-)
    If your cats fight over who gets to sleep in the crate then you have to create another one:-)
    Greetings:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and you are so right, another crate bed is a must!! xox

      Delete
  5. I love how you talk. About your animals,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol they are a funny pair! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. It looks like Max is the one in charge at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gawd those furry things are adorbs,,,,MEOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just adorable! Love the unfinished scarf, LOL, just perfect for there and stylish too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww... Max and Eloise finally getting along... :o] I love the bed you created for him, I bet he and Eloise feel so spoiled!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny that they both want the crate, you will have to find another one haha. Old crates are great for so many uses and I wish I could find some old ones that didn't cost so much. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say that Max looks very proud of his bed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love the ever so chic crate...and you know who is King!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat! I loved the photos they are so cute and both of them are lovely cats. My cat doesn't seem to want to sleep anywhere in particular, but maybe she would like something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All that cuddly furriness!! I think my dog would love your fruit crate too ... he's got the same need for being snug & cozy in his life. Max is one regal looking cat! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That'a wonderful bed for your cats, I;m not surprised they fight over it! Twinkle likes sitting in her top dressing table drawer and has just discovered that the greenhouse is a good place to hang out too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading about your cat's antics Anne. My Rexy a.k.a. Sexy Rexy, would love a crate like this in front of a window. Your two cats are adorable! The look on Max's face says, "you mess with my crate and I'll mess with you". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am sharing this post with my daughter as she desperately needs to find a nice cozy spot for her cat. Cute post Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's just nothing sweeter than watching a cat sleep. It's good for your heart and soul. :)

    We have little beds stashed around our house for our cat. Her favorite is on the top shelf in our closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! Thank you Stacey!

      Delete
  19. I love this and I love your cats! I chose this as my favorite for the week for our DIY Sunday Showcase! It will be featured on all of our blogs this Saturday evening! Come check it out! http://mycraftyspot.com - Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Erin! What a nice surprise!!

      Delete
  20. Oh my gosh, that is the cutest thing ever!! (besides them!! they are adorable)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  21. The best kitty bed I've ever seen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!