Hiding Ugly Pipes in Laundry Room

Another day, another project to disguise weird stuff in my house.

So it's back to my laundry and mudroom where the pipes for the washer and the electrical for the dryer come up straight out of the floor! Whoo hoo - who thought that was a great idea???

Time to take things into my own hands.





Have you met Max yet?  My crazy, insulation chewing, wire eating cat?  Another good reason to cover up this horrid mess of pipes and electrical cords.



I began by creating an L-shape  out of 2 2x6s with a 2x4 brace attached perpendicular to the opposite end of the L shape.  Difficult to explain!   I wanted to leave an opening at the end of the box for the pipes to run freely to my washing machine.  Naturally I forgot to take a photo of the box with the 2x4 brace in place...  I butted the box up to the edge of the machine to keep Max from getting at anything.



L-brackets hold the wood to the wall.  I had to use heavy duty anchors since there don't seem to be studs where I need them to be!!!!  Then I added an L-shape in 1x2s from the center to the washer end of the box to give me a nailing edge for the paneling that will be installed to cover up the pipes.  (One 1x2 runs across the floor and the other runs from ledge to floor.)

I used 1" rigid board insulation at the back of the box to give me a little more insulative value and taped up all the cracks with Tuck tape.  I also wrapped the pipes with pipe wrap before I sealed up the box.

Since it's necessary to have access to the shut-offs, I built a door from half a louvered bi-fold door.  The louvers allow the heat to circulate in the space.  Then I attached leftover bead board paneling using screws on the side that hides the 220 power for the dryer.  If anyone needs to get at it, the screws will allow the panel to pop off easily.  All this bead board is left over from the front porch project.  I decided to use it up by installing a bead board wainscot on two walls in the laundry.  It allowed me to hide the hole in the drywall from where the dryer vent used to be.  I'm thinking of renaming my house "Bead Board Central".  Just kidding.


For a nice ledge, I added a piece of MDF molding that was just a touch wider than the 2x6 so that it covered the edge of the paneling.


Everything tucks neatly back in place.  Now to shorten those curtains and paint the rest of this section of the wall.



Tah daaaaaaaahhhh!



Now I can breathe easily again, Max can't get at anything to destroy it like when he chewed up my front load washing machine door seal,  He is rapidly becoming the 6 million dollar cat - and not in a good way!  lol


Have a great week!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  •   
    Follow on Bloglovin


23 comments:

  1. That looks really nice and neat now... I did something similar in my last house but not with bead board. And you ask who thought it was a great idea to leave pipes like that? Simple answer: MEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea and nice execution. I might have also wrapped the drain pipe in foam since from time to time ours freezes and floods the laundry on extremely cold days. Ours is in the wall so we have no way to wrap it. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Jo! Thanks for the suggestion!!

      Thanks for visiting, too xo

      Delete
  3. Ta daaaahhh is right!!!!....The Amazing Anne strikes again.....great idea and beautiful solution...and love that the tables in front of the covered pipes have wheels for easy access to the pipes when you need to get to them...genius Anne!....Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done. It looks fantastic!
    Have a very nice day
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really neat and well thought out ... and you also have another usable little shelf under the window.
    So pretty.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing what you manage to do! That looks so much neater and safer. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea:-) I will copy it, I also have such strange pipes in my laundry room:-)
    Greetings:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikita! I am glad I could suggest a solution that works for you too. Hope you're having a nice autumn!

      xo

      Delete
  8. That is a great solution for the pipes/wires and for Max ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who would think a cat would want to eat your washing machine! That's crazy! He is awfully cute though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, I am always impressed with your ingenious solutions! And beautiful Max is worth the accommodations you're having to make for him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am telling you girl you need your own TV show. This is so great. Genius really. Love little Max and his expressions. Have a great week end coming up.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yah, this was a great fix for the pipes! It looks great Anne!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is totally awesome!! I love how it came out.

    Here's a suggestion. Instead of using L brackets. try using a wall-mounted 2x2 as a cleat if you have to do something like this another time. I love this method because I can hit studs with my screws in at least two spots along the length of the cleat, and the studs don't have to be anywhere in particular. Place your top, screw down into the cleat, and it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are just too clever Anne, that looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You come up with the best things!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your wheels are always turning! Another great solution, and it looks wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Genius! I love it! And I hope Max has not tried tasting any of that. Yikes! I have the same problems in my 100 year old farm house with a laundry on the back porch. A lovely dryer vent running the width of the porch and a hot water heater sitting in front of the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy! and Max? No, Max chewed up the cord from my iron last week instead. GAH!!!!!!!!!! Your hot water heater sounds like a lovely view. What are people thinking?! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  18. Have you had your iq tested Anne - because you're a genius !!!
    What a fabulous idea - you could do this for computer wires too !
    Fabulous idea
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great idea! I'm feeling lucky my cats don't destroy anything, except each others!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!